Lafayette, LA. Movie Theater Shooting

Trebla

3 dead (including shooter), 7 wounded in another movie theater attack. http://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-victims-lafayette-louisiana-theater-shooting/story?id=32653062

Two people were killed and seven others wounded when a gunman opened fire inside a packed movie theater in Lafayette, Louisiana Thursday night, police said. At some point the gunman died from a self-inflicted wound, official said.

--------------

The identity of the shooter is known but is not being released, Craft said. The shooter was described as a man in his 50s, Craft said.

The motive for the shooting remained unclear.

Sigh.

The sad reality is that in a nation of 300 million people, all you need is 50 or fewer disturbed loners at any given time and you could have a mass shooting every few months, forever.

To me the surprise is that there are so few of these incidents, given that we know the number of mentally unstable people is actually in the millions.

The sad reality is that in a nation of 60 million people, all you need is 10 or fewer disturbed loners at any given time and you could have a mass shooting every few months, forever. But we don't. I wonder why that is.

The sad reality is that in a nation of 60 million people, all you need is 10 or fewer disturbed loners at any given time and you could have a mass shooting every few months, forever. But we don't. I wonder why that is.

The feudal spirit?

edit :  oh wait it's the lack of widely available firearms. 

Because a mass stabbing is a great deal of faff that not even the mentally disturbed can be arsed dealing with?

These incidences are thankfully rare and are not getting more common. Violent crime generally and gun crime in particular are down massively in the US over the past few decades, using these kinds of crimes as a reason to strip people of their constitutionally protected rights is not cool on any level. RIP to the victims and best wishes and prayers to the families of the deceased.

It's already being spun as being caused by the theater being a "gun free zone."

I really don't want to count the number of times I've read or heard today, "if only people in the theater had gun of their own." I guess once you own a gun, you get some kind of "spider-sense" as to when someone else does and telepathy into their intentions. I imagine this is what would let you quick-draw and gun them down, John Wayne style, before they can do anything, just like the old Westerns taught you.

Full Disclosure: I live about 60 miles from where this happened.

These incidences are thankfully rare and are not getting more common. Violent crime generally and gun crime in particular are down massively in the US over the past few decades, using these kinds of crimes as a reason to strip people of their constitutionally protected rights is not cool on any level. 

I thought long and hard about these two sentences and I decided to give it the intelligent, reasoned reply that it deserves:

HURRRRRRRRRRR

Archived