Vikings VIII: 20 episodes under the sea [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

45 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Didn't the show start on the history channel??

Either way, I'm halfway through season 2 now and really enjoying it. I too wish it was a little more historical and less fantasy in some of its elements as I think that spoils it. The interesting part for me is the interaction between England and Vikin culture.

I am having trouble deciding whether Ragnar is actually a good or terrible actor however. How many times is he going to do his smile.. frown reaction. 

I thought the History channel had shows on alien abductions/pharaohs so I wouldn't hold their fictional history dramas to be much more accurate.

I'd certainly need to see the actor in another role but I think he's excellent as Ragnar (Even if he is playing himself). There's a constant cheeky swagger in his body language and I agree it's really hard to see past that mischeivous glint in his eye regardless of what he's saying. But it could simply be excellent casting - maybe World of Warcraft will shed some light on this.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I thought the History channel had shows on alien abductions/pharaohs so I wouldn't hold their fictional history dramas to be much more accurate.

I'd certainly need to see the actor in another role but I think he's excellent as Ragnar (Even if he is playing himself). There's a constant cheeky swagger in his body language and I agree it's really hard to see past that mischeivous glint in his eye regardless of what he's saying. But it could simply be excellent casting - maybe World of Warcraft will shed some light on this.

I'm not sure Warcraft is going to be a test of his acting skills.  However, he was just cast in a remake of "All Quiet on the Western Front".  Screen Daily Article  

Not that you can really tell how good something is going to be until you see it on screen. At least you know it has the potential to be a good story and the role should show off his acting skills if he has any. 

etc spelling

I think it handles the fantasy elements very well, in that outside of the Seer's visions most things are attributable to the fact the characters are superstitious. 

*braces for the inevitable "What about this?" She had forgotten about* (And I'm just thinking now of Harbard actually, um...)

Also, the hilarity of the priest in Kattegat demonstrating God's powers :lol: 

20 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I too wish it was a little more historical and less fantasy in some of its elements as I think that spoils it. 

Oh, based on this I think I can already predict what you're going to think of season three ;) 

19 hours ago, red snow said:

Yeah, I think Travis Fimmel is one of the best leading man on tv right now. Toby Stephens from Black Sails is probably the only real competition and he gets to pull of a lot more complex storylines. Fimmel is great as this magnetic presence though :) 

I do think Ragnar is certainly quite an enigmatic presence on the show and his performance is quite distinctive, not what you would expect from the main character on a show called Vikings. Reminds me a lot of Brad Pitt in Fight Club. He's also striking looking, and again, maybe a little too modern in his style to really appear believable. He looks like he should be on Sons of Anarchy.

There are a number of moments on there show where I think hes great. The threatening smile of his, how awkward he appears when he's having 'wife' trouble, his relationship with his children. But at the same time I'm never 100% convinced hes really able to be any more flexible in his acting. He seems to fall back on a handful of facial expressions and gimmicks in order to get the job done, if that makes sense.

19 hours ago, cdawnb said:

I'm not sure Warcraft is going to be a test of his acting skills.  However, he was just cast in a remake of "All Quiet on the Western Front".  Screen Daily Article  

Not that you can really tell how good something is going to be until you see it on screen. At least you know it has the potential to be a good story and the role should show off his acting skills if he has any. 

etc spelling

I'd be surprised if WoW is going to highlight acting prowess but it may give us an idea of whether he has "it" in terms of screen presence.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Oh, based on this I think I can already predict what you're going to think of season three ;) 

Yeah, I think Travis Fimmel is one of the best leading man on tv right now. Toby Stephens from Black Sails is probably the only real competition and he gets to pull of a lot more complex storylines. Fimmel is great as this magnetic presence though :) 

I'd say Stephens is a better actor - you can probably throw anything at him but screen presence I think still goes to Fimmel. Ragnar and Flint on a ship would be a thing to behold but I think Ragnar would still leap out more. Obviously. they are very different roles though.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

He looks like he should be on Sons of Anarchy.

His passing resemblance to charlie hunnan was probably the reason I couldn't help but compare season one of vikings as "SoA" medieval. He certainly isn't as ropey as Jax Teller.

27 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I ... do not think this show is particularly rich in fantasy elements. Barring Harbard, everything strange that has happened can be explained as visions/dreams/hallucinations.

Its not a massive element of the show, and its certainly not intrusive. I do think that 'The Seer' looks rather ridiculous however, no idea if hes based on anything factual.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Does anyone know for definite when the first episode will go up on Amazon? This is the first season I've watched as it airs so I wasn't sure

Tomorrow. 100% sure. 

Can't wait to see Rollo of Normandy.

28 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

Glad I checked, because my DVR wasn't going to record it tonight... because apparently there are five shows that I have set to record that all come on at 9 p.m.

Yeah, I have quite a busy Friday as well, between Vikings, The 100, Colony, Big Bang Theory and Legends of Tomorrow... 

Archived