Vikings VIII: 20 episodes under the sea [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

So Kwenthrith's son is Magnus? Damn it.  That's almost as bad as Alfred being Athelstan's son. I really enjoyed Ecberth initially but the whole Wessex storyline has become boring and repetitive. I would prefer we see less of it unless the Vikings are there.

Kattegat was entertaining as usual. I enjoyed Floki's escape and eventual capture, but did not like that Ubbe is already a better tracker and wiser than most. I get that Ragnar's children will be more important this season, but don't make them Mary Sue's Hirst. With a twenty episode season you can take your time developing them. Especially if you nix the Wessex storyline :) I am still hoping Ragnar spares Floki, but I'm no longer so sure he will. It's clear Ragnar is not enjoying the challenges of ruling. Fimmel is amazing as usual.

It seems the one person Roll can't impress in Paris is the one he truly wants to. That even hurt me when Gisla laughed at him. But to be fair, that haircut  is ridiculous. I love how he manhandles everyone at court though. I didn't really care for another glimpse of Odo and his perversions, but appreciate the intrigue of Therese spying on him for Roland.

Bjorn's scenes were really unnecessary. Just show him fighting the bear. I would have preferred some Lagertha and Hedeby.

With the exception of the whole saving the queen bit, I must say that I was bored to tears by everything going on in England. The only time I want to see that fucking island is when Ragnar and the boys are kicking in some fucking Saxon heads. And what the fuck is with turning Egbert into some kind of proto feminist with Judith? Fuck off with that shit. The character is too smarmy to pull it off. I understand playing fast and loose with timelines in terms of characters like Rolo, but lets not start the woman's liberation movement a thousand years early, especially not in a early Catholic society.

The show is best when it is focusing on Ragnar and his boys, and the assorted Danes, the show is Vikings, not Vikings and The Folks They Kicked the Shit Out of For a Hundred Years.

What I liked:

- The fight at the tower; but there were some silly bits there, too, like how Aethelwulf cut his way through a bunch of Mercians, only to be nearly thwarted by a guy with a wounded leg who couldn't open a door; conviction is really a fine thing.

- Ragnar; now I don't condone the beating of women, or spousal abuse in general, but I have to say Aslaug's look was a bit satisfying; and I really liked his scenes with Helga. The death of Floki's daughter was a bit too sudden, but I suppose it was just another way to take Floki as low as possible, but I did appreciate seeing Ragnar digging the grave - brought back memories of Gida.

- Rollo teaching the Franks how to fight his people; for a second there, I thought he was going to just play with the boats to annoy Odo:P

What I disliked:

- Right now Bjorn's arc seems pointless; we already know he is a badass warrior, why must he prove himself this way? But next episode's preview shows Erlendur send someone to kill him, so I guess the story may go somewhere

- Egbert and Judith; the hell is going on there?

- I don't care for the court intrigues in Paris, unless they directly affect Rollo

On Ubba tracking Floki - nice to see early hints of his leadership skills, but hopefully he's not made into too much of a badass early on; imo, that scene was just another way to show how much Floki has fallen, like Ragnar points out to him, he was found by mere children. Floki should have died last season. At this point, however, I think he should rise again. 

Meh.

This episode had too many storylines, I thought, and Lagertha/Kalf/Erlendur were not even in it.

Rollo is great. I felt sorry for him when Gisla laughed so much, he looked very hurt! I want to see more of how those two get along. And how Rollo gets used to the court and what they will do when Ragnar comes back. Everything else that happens in Paris (i. e. Odo, his victim and her lover) ... I do not care.

"A Room Scriptorium of One's Own" by Judith Woolf just seems pointless. Why exactly does Ekbert want her to be "free" now? Is he trying to do her favours so she is more likely to sleep with him? Will it turn out that she is really into priests and will fall for father Prudentius of Troyes and they will cut her other ear off? IDK, and without the Vikings, the whole England subplot looks like they do not know what to do. I was not thrilled about the princess Kwen rescue thing, because I cannot find any character that I like there now. I mean, I suppose Judith is not a horrible traitorous torturer, so she has that going for her, but she is not interesting either. Ekbert has his brilliant moments, but has not shown them here. Everybody else is annoying.

As for Kattegat ... I smell something fishy about Angrboda's death. It was a bit too convenient. It would be nothing like Ragnar to kill a little girl to get back at her father (although he had an opportunity, he might have poisoned whatever food was in that sack?!) and it is just too convenient for her to die just at the moment where her father is being tortured and this will just hurt him more. The body was not shown, nor was it told how she died (or if it was, I missed it). I think she will appear alive and well and spend some time with Bjorn in the next episodes. I hope at least, otherwise this was really unmotivated.

Lol we get two obvious Red Wedding sendups and then what seemed like a Tower of Joy sendup in the second episode.

Fortunately unlike the Red Wedding sendups the tower scene was actually really good, hell probably the highlight of the episode. I know I probably shouldn't but I actually find myself liking Aethelwulf.

Overall an improvement from last week but still a tad inconsistent. Not that this show has ever been the paragon of consistency though.

43 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

As for Kattegat ... I smell something fishy about Angrboda's death. It was a bit too convenient. It would be nothing like Ragnar to kill a little girl to get back at her father (although he had an opportunity, he might have poisoned whatever food was in that sack?!) and it is just too convenient for her to die just at the moment where her father is being tortured and this will just hurt him more. The body was not shown, nor was it told how she died (or if it was, I missed it). I think she will appear alive and well and spend some time with Bjorn in the next episodes. I hope at least, otherwise this was really unmotivated.

She was coughing when Ragnar gave Helga the food, so I'm assuming some sickness was her cause of death. I loved Ragnar's empathy in that scene.

Well that was a pretty boring episode. Those Saxons ruin everything.

The rescue was actually pretty good. But that shit with Ecbert and Judith was just terrible in every way.

The vikings are still good though. Ragnar, Floki, Bjorn and Ubbe was all good this episode. I'm guessing Angrboda's death is going to be the out that lets Floki survive.

Rollo was also great in the two scenes he showed up in. The rest of Paris is also terrible though. Is it really necessary to add another intrigue to the Paris court?

What's happening to Floki doesn't seem like a show trial at all.  Floki doesn't feel that way, that for sure.  He's truly suffering.

This and Bjorn in the wilderness is when we finally get back a bit of the sense that made the Intro and its song's lyrics so very Viking.  Which is what I at least, and think many others, love about the series.  We don't get any of that in Wessex or Frankia.

But -- why is Bjorn cooking outside in the snow, when the cooking fire would help warm up that o so conveniently stumbled over cabin?  Also, why is it all snow there and when Floki was being hunted it wasn't snow all over but when we see Ragnar sitting outside his hall with his big stick it's always snowing?  Why don't the set dressers and writers pay more attention to these things?

Who is that slick article ministering to the Bottom spy on Odo?  My, what hair, what a complexion.

That Queen in the Tower scene settled it for me at least: Magnus isn't Ragnar's son, hiding away under a blanket like that while his mother is attacked.  None of Ragnar's other sons would have behaved like that -- or his daughters either.

Oh, and I didnt realized that I missed Kwentrith so much until I saw her crazy maniacal fierce lioness face in that scene ! ^^

And Linus Roache's Ecberth ! Damn, it was good to see Ecberth again ! 

I actually liked this episode. Some things were a little off, but oh well. 

I absolutely adore this Frank noble Rollo. The poor thing got a Rachel haircut. If they tie it back Aragorn style, he should look alright. Gisla though... I cannot wait for Rollo to lose it and smack her on that stuck-up face. I almost hate her as much as Porunn. 

Bjorn. I had high hopes to see the bear, so it was quite disappointing. I couldn't help but admire the fishing technique though. Still, without the bear his storyline was just filler. 

Floki. I felt like his escape was a pointless detour for the plot. It gave Ragnar (and Travis Fimmel) an excuse to shine. And we saw how badass his kids are becoming. 

Helga. The poor sweetheart. I loved the scenes with Ragnar, he was such a sweetheart to her too. When he told Floki he was going to suffer too and the camera had just shown Helga, I thought for a moment that he was going to kill Helga and the little girl. But that's so not Ragnar, he would never do that. The little girl's death was sudden and sad and while it did cross my mind that she did not die by accident, I suppose it was the same sort of sudden and sad death that took Siggy's daughter and Gyda. Poor Helga. 

Wessex. It was not quite clear to me why the bishop would support Ecberth in the question of Judith's tutoring. The idea itself (Judith and her tutoring) made me think a lot, but I guess I'll not go into that, point is, I wasn't bored. And the reason why I think Ecbert is trying to win Judith's loyalty is because he thinks that she's the key to taking Northumbria from her father. I still dislike Aethelwulf. I was, however, surprised to see how much I rooted for Kwenthryth to survive. Female guards though? O.o 

Paris. I am yet in the dark about how's the mysterious lover of the black haired lady and whose side he is on. Beyond that, all I can say is that Count Oddo even looks like E.L. James........ 

they've really upped the cinematography this season. The shots of Floki running up the stream and Bjorn in the snow were lovely. The battle scene was pretty good too.

I agree that "girl power" princess learning to paint from the scriptures is a bit hokey but it's clear that Ecbert doesn't give a shit about religion and it's part of his ploy to get the princess on side (and in bed). It's ultimately an empty gesture anyhow as it's not like it started some kind of revolution and because priveleged women usually had a far better time of it (comparatively) to anyone who wasn't priveleged.

I did feel sorry for Rollo being laughed at. I would have appreciated some more discussion in the show of his actions last week but we seem to be stuck with other peoples POV (which is a neat trick for highlighting how Rollo has isolated himself).

Oh, and I don't think I've ever been so intimidated by children as seeing the Ragnar pack hunt down Floki, Very effective.

15 hours ago, Astromech said:

She was coughing when Ragnar gave Helga the food, so I'm assuming some sickness was her cause of death. I loved Ragnar's empathy in that scene.

She was? I must have missed that, she did look sickly, but I thought nothing of it. :/

9 hours ago, BB-Rhae said:

I absolutely adore this Frank noble Rollo. The poor thing got a Rachel haircut. If they tie it back Aragorn style, he should look alright. Gisla though... I cannot wait for Rollo to lose it and smack her on that stuck-up face. I almost hate her as much as Porunn. 

I am not sure that will happen, Rollo seems to be trying hard to impress her and though he is not the smartest guy, he probably realises smacking her in her face will not do the trick.

Helga. The poor sweetheart. I loved the scenes with Ragnar, he was such a sweetheart to her too. When he told Floki he was going to suffer too and the camera had just shown Helga, I thought for a moment that he was going to kill Helga and the little girl. But that's so not Ragnar, he would never do that. The little girl's death was sudden and sad and while it did cross my mind that she did not die by accident, I suppose it was the same sort of sudden and sad death that took Siggy's daughter and Gyda. Poor Helga. 

Siggy's daughter and Gyda died during an epidemic of plague though. Angrboda's death seemed just so random, like they asked themselves "How can we torture Floki a bit more? Oh I know, lets tell him his daughter died. But his daughter is still alive. Ah, lets just show somebody digging a grave and say it is for Floki's daughter, that will do the trick." I wish they had expanded on i because my mind just jumped immediately to the she is not really dead direction.

Wessex. It was not quite clear to me why the bishop would support Ecberth in the question of Judith's tutoring. The idea itself (Judith and her tutoring) made me think a lot, but I guess I'll not go into that, point is, I wasn't bored. And the reason why I think Ecbert is trying to win Judith's loyalty is because he thinks that she's the key to taking Northumbria from her father. I still dislike Aethelwulf. I was, however, surprised to see how much I rooted for Kwenthryth to survive. Female guards though? O.o 

I think the bishop supports Ekbert in everything because he is afraid of him. He was shown to be under his control before, I think.

Female guards seemed really off to me as well.

What is that about the bear a few people have mentioned?

16 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

She was? I must have missed that, she did look sickly, but I thought nothing of it. :/

I am not sure that will happen, Rollo seems to be trying hard to impress her and though he is not the smartest guy, he probably realises smacking her in her face will not do the trick.

Siggy's daughter and Gyda died during an epidemic of plague though. Angrboda's death seemed just so random, like they asked themselves "How can we torture Floki a bit more? Oh I know, lets tell him his daughter died. But his daughter is still alive. Ah, lets just show somebody digging a grave and say it is for Floki's daughter, that will do the trick." I wish they had expanded on i because my mind just jumped immediately to the she is not really dead direction.

I think the bishop supports Ekbert in everything because he is afraid of him. He was shown to be under his control before, I think.

Female guards seemed really off to me as well.

What is that about the bear a few people have mentioned?

Well, I still hope someone will smack her on the face. If not Rollo, then the emperor or anybody. She is a horrible person. 

I thought that plague came out of nowhere just like helga's daughter's death. No warning, no nothing just bamm, death. I do not think it's a trick, but we will see. I dont think Helga would fake her daughter's death to soften Ragnar. 

In the trailer Bjorn fights a bear and that's what everybody wants to see I guess, not fishing. 

On 25/2/2016 at 2:30 PM, Veltigar said:

+ Floki was a bit of a weirdo. And a weirdo with power and influence to boot. Of course people would flung dung at him the minute he finds himself without protection. It's basic human instinct, that's all. I mean, if the mayor of my town was tied up to a post I wouldn't hesitate. Would you? :) 

Well yeah, but my mayor is kind of an arsehole. Women were actually wailing when they had seen Floki wounded back in season 2.
(Although I reckon with Kattegat's mortality rate they are probably long gone anyway.)
As for his destiny, I always thought he was loosely based on the Floki that ended up discovering Iceland so maybe we'll see that. Or he'll just spend eternity tied up in the cave.

This episode wasn't that bad, but I could do without Wessex. Nearly everything in the fight scene was silly, from the worst archers in all the British Isles to Kwenthrith managing to fight off two guards (and female guards on top of that). I liked the Mercian captain, though.

On 26/2/2016 at 5:38 AM, Mark Antony said:

Bad

- Evertything revolving around Odo and Judith. Add them to the Erlandur list of characters that should fuck off fast. 

If anything, just to give more screen time to more interesting stuff.

Did not approved of Ragnar slapping Aslaugh. Doing it once was bad enough. More than once --  a very bad thing for him to have done.  She's dull and arrogant, but she didn't deserve that -- wives generally don't.  She's also put up with a lot, though we all remember she really did ask for that -- she pursued him -- with his enthusiastic cooperation of course.  Beyond that however, Ragnar should recall that sons in his world tend to choose their mother when forced to, and are fierce defenders of their mother.  Look at his own first born son, and Lagertha.

The thing is Ragnar is himself bored, bored, bored.  And he's still so physically incapacitated that he can't go exploring or pillaging.  He's got nobody to talk to; Aslaugh never was that.  It was Lagertha and Floki, and Athelstan. Eckbert could be someone, but they are radically opposed in their objectives. Anyway he's in Anglelandia.

These conditions of boredom and lack of strength exacerbate Ragnar's knowledge that the inevitable end that comes to even the sharpest and most powerful is much closer to him than previously.  His dream-vision showed his consolation for the inevitable that he'd enter Valhalla says that's not going to happen either.  He's frustrated.  He's very dangerous in that state, and will make mischief for the sake of doing so, just to have something, anything happen.  And / or to feel like he can still make things happen.

We have 20 episodes so we can easily see all this playing out.

Gisla laughing at Rollo was hilarious.... I would be shocked if --when they finally do the mambo-- she doesn't break into a rendition of "Oh sweet Mystery of Life at last I've found you"....

Somehow I have a feeling that Odo's adversaries will wind up in his dungeon...

Aslaug will probably be Ragnar's end...  which is a shame, because they made some bad-ass kids...

I was a little sad for Floki & Helga's daughter

59 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Did not approved of Ragnar slapping Aslaugh. Doing it once was bad enough. More than once --  a very bad thing for him to have done.  She's dull and arrogant, but she didn't deserve that -- wives generally don't. 

I think the slapping came because Ragnar clearly knows about Harbard, hence the line about loyalty. In that moment, Aslaug said the wrong thing, and the rage came bubbling to the surface. 

I didn't have a problem with Ragnar slapping Aslaug (besides the act itself being reprehensible). Ragnar isn't a nice guy and he's certainly not championing women's rights like Ecbert appears to be. One feels more real than the other. Ragnar has pretty much hated Aslaug since the crippled kid was born, he didn't kill the child but he certainly blamed her for it. There's also the sense that he does know she cheated on him and he was less than impressed when she put his kids at risk last season. So there's no love lost between them at all. It's clear Aslaug is planning her own game though and she's probably serving up the exotic slave to him as a distraction and possibly a means of escape.

It is weird seeing a weak Ragnar. PArt of me hopes he does recover as I liked him doing his acrobatics and being in the thick of the action but it would make for an interesting character arc if his best days are behind him. Like mentioned above it would be a form of torture for him.

Bottom line, I don't have a problem being reminded that Ragnar is not a hero/pure as gold.

Archived