Vikings VIII: 20 episodes under the sea [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

15 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I gathered by the age of the kids, that perhaps the siege of Paris, and not just the journey to and from, took way longer than those episodes implied. (which in history it did) Considering that Ragnar was still suffering from his injuries, the initial part of the campaign must have taken longer than the latter part. Because I can't imagine anyone being on their deathbed for a whole year or more.

One other thing, wasn't Aslaug pregnant with Harbard's child? What happened to that kid?

To the first part, well, it is Hirst. I try not question it too much.

Bjorn will find the kid on his sojourn in the woods.

40 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

EDIT: Unless he thought his men were going to kill him if he entered the camp. His mate was a little bit shifty when he came to see him in Paris, and Rollo didn't exactly get the warmest of welcomes when he arrived.

I thought it went like that. It was almost a mirror of how Kalf handled his opponents. 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

When did Aslaug become so antagonistic, scheming and ambitious towards Ragnar? Also, why isn't she dead already? 

No idea, but I rather like it. I wonder who the woman going to rule Kattegat for at least a day will be. Aslaug certainly thinks herself, which makes it all the more possible for it not to be her. But then Lagertha is a bit too obvious maybe.

Non-related (probably?): I am intrigued by the new black-haired slave woman whom Aslaugh seems to have bought from the sketchy slave-trader from Paris. From the way the camera concentrated on her, it looks like she is going to have a role this season.

27 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I gathered by the age of the kids, that perhaps the siege of Paris, and not just the journey to and from, took way longer than those episodes implied. (which in history it did) Considering that Ragnar was still suffering from his injuries, the initial part of the campaign must have taken longer than the latter part. Because I can't imagine anyone being on their deathbed for a whole year or more.

One other thing, wasn't Aslaug pregnant with Harbard's child? What happened to that kid?

Good question, maybe that has to do with the time skip too? Astromech's theory seems plausible. Maybe that is why Aslaug implied "we will never see him again" - she will have him killed rather to reveal something about that child?

12 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

No idea, but I rather like it. I wonder who the woman going to rule Kattegat for at least a day will be. Aslaug certainly thinks herself, which makes it all the more possible for it not to be her. But then Lagertha is a bit too obvious maybe.

Non-related (probably?): I am intrigued by the new black-haired slave woman whom Aslaugh seems to have bought from the sketchy slave-trader from Paris. From the way the camera concentrated on her, it looks like she is going to have a role this season.

Good question, maybe that has to do with the time skip too? Astromech's theory seems plausible. Maybe that is why Aslaug implied "we will never see him again" - she will have him killed rather to reveal something about that child?

I am hoping she kind of serves an Athelstan role, in so far as she teaches Ragnar about the East, and we get to see the Vikings in Russia and eventually Constantinople. I have read an article or two mentioning her before.

Damn Poe's law. My theory was entirely a joke. I knew I should've added the smiley face.

Hmm, I didn't remember Aslaug being pregnant, I probably should have rewatched season 3 beforehand, or the last couple of episodes at least. 

Woman ruling Kattegat; I don't think it will be Aslaug. And Lagertha, while I would hope she rules Kattegat, may be a bit obvious. Outside horse would be Porrun, should Bjorn find her again.

The dark-haired slave will almost certainly have some kind of role at some stage. They focused on her twice, first when Aslaug chose her, then again while Ragnar watched her. Not sure what she will do though.

I think someone asked why Bjorn was so distant to his daughter. That didn't surprise me at all, seemed natural actually. First, she is female, so straight away she is less valued. Second, she is a reminder of Porrun, and the fact that he has been abandoned by her, and thus humiliated. Third, he will view her as part of the reason Porrun is gone. So basically she is just a focus for all his resentment and anger at all the stuff he has gone through.

eta; On Rollo, I'm not too sure what to think. I guess that now he is alone in Paris and cannot communicate properly he is more at the Parisian's mercy. But at the same time, Spockydog is right and he was probably in danger from his own men too. So lose-lose situation

6 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I am hoping she kind of serves an Athelstan role, in so far as she teaches Ragnar about the East, and we get to see the Vikings in Russia and eventually Constantinople. I have read an article or two mentioning her before.

Damn Poe's law. My theory was entirely a joke. I knew I should've added the smiley face.

The map Bjorn was looking at encompassed the entire Mediterranean and Black Sea. So here's hoping.

Was it ever confirmed that Auslag got pregnant after her tryst with Harbard, or was it simply her fearing that she might be?

Anyway, it was a solid first episode. Nothing remarkable, just setting the stage for future conflict.

- No Wessex, which is always nice. But I fear that will be at an end next week.

- Either the Paris campaign took longer than expected or Auslag is feeding those kids Super Mario mushrooms. But I quite like that they are getting a little more attention.

- Rollo's wedding night was hilarious.

- The ending didn't really make a lot of sense though. I though the remaining northmen would help secure Paris from future raing parties? Maybe Rollo is all the viking Paris needs? And Rollo has never been the brightest tool in the shed. At least he has finally picked side. There should be no coming back from this one.

- Kalf is ice cold. Crossbows for the win tonight.

- However, Lagertha is even colder. Damn!

1 minute ago, Arkash said:

Ha, Ragnar is curious... this time it wont be another blonde but an Asian woman from far away. The character must have quite a story !

I was surprised she didn't get that big of a reaction out of the Norse. I imagine seeing a person of Asian descent for the first time must be absolutely strange to them, especially since the sight of Paris left them agape.

Not feeling that Rollo scene at all  - the whole "lets throw all character development to the wind and just shock viewers" thing reeks of a certain other show I've grown to despise...

Hopefully it'll get better. There were moments of potential in some of the other scenes.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:20 PM, Veltigar said:

I have no idea why there's a Veltigar quote box... sorry dude... this was a messageboard glitch

-Perunn conspicuous by her absence...

-Aslaug thinks she will rule..., as per the Seer's prophecy... I think most of believe it will be Largetha

-Ragnar has eyes for the new Asian slave... all I could think was "how the hell does some get from Asia to Norway in that day & age?....lol

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I have no idea why there's a Veltigar quote box... sorry dude... this was a messageboard glitch

-Perunn conspicuous by her absence...

-Aslaug thinks she will rule..., as per the Seer's prophecy... I think most of believe it will be Largetha

-Ragnar has eyes for the new Asian slave... all I could think was "how the hell does some get from Asia to Norway in that day & age?....lol

Slave routs were still quite extensive in those day, in fact, there are writings that talk about Africans (often referred to as blue men or referenced in other ways) among the Vikings, including one who served Erik the Red. Obviously Africa isn't Asia, and it's possible these folks were Moors or something, but the fact is that with how expansive the slave trade was, it's not unimaginable that, provided she isn't like, Chinese or some shit like that (Say if she was from the area around current day Kazakhstan, she still looks Asiatic, without being from say china or some other part of southeast Asia), that it is well within reason for her to be there.

8 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

4 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Slave routs were still quite extensive in those day, in fact, there are writings that talk about Africans (often referred to as blue men or referenced in other ways) among the Vikings, including one who served Erik the Red. Obviously Africa isn't Asia, and it's possible these folks were Moors or something, but the fact is that with how expansive the slave trade was, it's not unimaginable that, provided she isn't like, Chinese or some shit like that (Say if she was from the area around current day Kazakhstan, she still looks Asiatic, without being from say china or some other part of southeast Asia), that it is well within reason for her to be there.

What Grim said. I bet she is of one the Central Asian nomadic people who migrated to Eastern Europe in that period. Maybe an Avar, though knowing the show's "historical accuracy" she'll be Mongolian. 

Archived