Vikings VIII: 20 episodes under the sea [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

9 hours ago, red snow said:

I was probably busy eating my bacon sandwich and missed it. Sad day when I become desensitised to viking on clergy violence.

Although seeing that bear made me fear what I'll become if I keep having bacon sandwiches for breakfast.

Being of a rotund appearence and having a rather impressive amount of facial hair, I too had a moment of introspection.

It was an alright episode. Not great, not terrible. Alexander Ludwig continues to impress me in terms of screen presence/charisma. Bear fight was...underwhelming, to say the least. 

Floki and Helga scenes were the best this episode IMO. I'm curious where this arc goes next. Floki has been set free but I doubt that's the end of it. Whatever happens, they should could Helga around, because she is one of the better characters and actresses.

Erlendur :rolleyes: 

Disappointed so far with Lagertha. Hirst promised she has a good story this season hour so I am hoping that picks up soon.

Wessex, after a good week last week, slipped in my estimation again. Don't care about Judith's painting-by-numbers or Ecbert seducing her. Shockingly, Kwenthrith seems to be the redeeming feature of Wessex so far.

i still don't care even slightly about Paris

6 hours ago, matt b said:

Meh. At the end of the day they're both more about looking at pretty people than anything else. Just here, they have axes.

Yep, Wessex is slowly turning into every Crusader Kings 2 game I've ever played.

19 hours ago, Corvinus said:Ok, it was a bit easy for Bjorn to kill that bear. I think the bear didn't really want to fight. Hopefully the berserker won't disappoint next episode. I am excited to finally see one of those guys in action. 

I loved the music that played during the Aethelstan scene. But Eckbert's part really wasn't needed. But I liked Ragnar's part in it, and what followed after. Floki's and Helga's scenes were so heart wrenching.

Rollo continues to make me laugh.

And I'm liking the new Aethelwuf-Kwen relationship.

The bear fight was implausible from the very appearance of a bear in the middle of winter when it would be hibernating.  It didn't even look like a real bear moving.

As "berserker" means bear, I kept thinking that was what Bjorn was fighting, and when he took the skin, a flayed human would be there.  Guess not, huh.

Did like though, Bjorn's roar of victory echoing all down the territory into Ragnar's ears.

Why ever in the world had no one ever thought -- not even Rollo thought -- to teach Rollo to speak, read and write?  Nobody serious about ruling a country would be bashing about without even a gdd translator, yanowotahmsayin?

What happened to Katheryn Winnick's face?  She must have had cosmetic surgery and now it's a blank, without expression or character. She doesn't even look the way she used to.  Once again she's making a bad choice of men, evidently. Even if Kalf is being truthful, which clearly he is not, she can't have any more children.  Though it has happened when women are supposed to have been too damaged by a previous pregnancy that years later she does conceive and bring a child to term.

Then, woo, the writers managed to make the Wessex ruling family even more crazy -- the king effing the "Vessel of the Holy Athelstan", the Vessel's husband effing the crazy queen that has already effed his father, who is poisonously obsessed with Athelstan.

When the twin dream visions of Athelstan take place in Wessex and Kattegat, we all knew that Floki was going to have the benefit of Ragnar's mercy, right?

Now what?

Welcome to S04E03 of Vikings: 

AAArgh! AAArgh! 

Aaa-aa-aaaa-aa-aaaaaa~

AAAohhh! 

bAAAAAArgh! 

Ahrg! AhAhrgh! AhArgh! 

Argh! Argh!

AAAwhoooo! AAAAAAwhooooo!

hhAAArgh! dhyAAAAAh! dhyAAAAArgh!

AAAAAAAAAAAthelstan. 

whAAAAAhAAAAAhAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Don't forget to join us next week for a brand new episode!  

40 minutes ago, BB-Rhae said:

Welcome to S04E03 of Vikings: 

AAArgh! AAArgh! 

Aaa-aa-aaaa-aa-aaaaaa~

AAAohhh! 

bAAAAAArgh! 

Ahrg! AhAhrgh! AhArgh! 

Argh! Argh!

AAAwhoooo! AAAAAAwhooooo!

hhAAArgh! dhyAAAAAh! dhyAAAAArgh!

AAAAAAAAAAAthelstan. 

whAAAAAhAAAAAhAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Don't forget to join us next week for a brand new episode!  

Lol! Pretty much.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

The bear fight was implausible from the very appearance of a bear in the middle of winter when it would be hibernating.  It didn't even look like a real bear moving.

As "berserker" means bear, I kept thinking that was what Bjorn was fighting, and when he took the skin, a flayed human would be there.  Guess not, huh.

Did like though, Bjorn's roar of victory echoing all down the territory into Ragnar's ears.

Why ever in the world had no one ever thought -- not even Rollo thought -- to teach Rollo to speak, read and write?  Nobody serious about ruling a country would be bashing about without even a gdd translator, yanowotahmsayin?

What happened to Katheryn Winnick's face?  She must have had cosmetic surgery and now it's a blank, without expression or character. She doesn't even look the way she used to.  Once again she's making a bad choice of men, evidently. Even if Kalf is being truthful, which clearly he is not, she can't have any more children.  Though it has happened when women are supposed to have been too damaged by a previous pregnancy that years later she does conceive and bring a child to term.

Then, woo, the writers managed to make the Wessex ruling family even more crazy -- the king effing the "Vessel of the Holy Athelstan", the Vessel's husband effing the crazy queen that has already effed his father, who is poisonously obsessed with Athelstan.

When the twin dream visions of Athelstan take place in Wessex and Kattegat, we all knew that Floki was going to have the benefit of Ragnar's mercy, right?

Now what?

I meant to bring up the hibernation point too! Glad I wasn't the only one bothered by that ;) I also found it odd that nobody had thought to teach Rollo French before this. Maybe they thought he was too much of and ignorant savage or whatever, but you would think they would at least try. 

One thing I assumed, but want to check with others if they thought the same; the sickness from the cathedral story. Is that the excuse for all the dead Vikings? So people don't think the Franks killed them?

1 hour ago, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

Anybody else see lil Bjorn after big Bjorn did that scream after killing the bear?

It was pretty difficult to miss...

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Good point about hibernation, however are we sure it's actually winter and not just up north in the mountains were it can always snow?

19 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Good point about hibernation, however are we sure it's actually winter and not just up north in the mountains were it can always snow?

It was winter in Englad (at least Mercia) too, and I doubt the timelines are completely different considering the Athelstan apparition.

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

It was winter in Englad (at least Mercia) too, and I doubt the timelines are completely different considering the Athelstan apparition.

Although there are times where it feels like time is moving at a different place in some locations. Possibly not on closer inspection but I'm not convinced it's properly lined up.

By now I'm more or less over the initial what the F did I just watch feeling. 

What did I like, what did I like...? 

I liked Ragnar trolling Aslaug with that story. And Rollo was hilarious. The bear was cute. And I like the Kwenthryth Aethelwulf thing that's starting to unfold. 

What I didn't like: 

The Floki ordeal. It was really just ten more ARGHs. 

Bjorn. The buildup to the bear was weak and even confusing. I really hated that it wasn't the bear that attacked him first, it was Bjorn who moved to kill it. I actually felt sorry for the bear. The fight itself was a complete disappointment. It was way too easy and barely lasted a minute. It must take more than that to kill a bear. Yes, little Bjorn and another glorious ARGH told us that Bjorn was now a man and the stupid teen who lets his pregnant girlfriend fight and gets drunk alone in the freezing cold in the wild while he knows a bear is out there is hopefully forever gone.  Hurray. It was such a disappointment. 

Athelstan. WHAT. WHY. Just get over it already! Just let the man rest in peace! Ragnar and Ecberth seriously need a new priest.  I only hope there will be no more Athelstan now that Floki was released and Ecberth knows he's dead. 

Paris. What is the deal with the conspiring couple? But whatever, I don't even care. I just want someone to slap that b*tch in the face with a frying pan. Just do it!  DO IT! Not necessarily even Rollo. Just anybody. The emperor! He does nothing. The least he could do is smack his brat daughter in the face. And seriously, all the shit that poor French teacher got, we all know that Gisla deserved that. 

Hedeby. Not that I didn't miss Lagertha but 10 seconds going Aaooh on top of Kalf was not exactly what I had in mind for her return. In fact the whole Hedeby storyline is pretty boring. It's just better to have Lagertha hang out with Ragnar's lot. And I honestly have no clue why Kalf keeps that Joffrey Borg around. 

Things completely WTF: 

The ARGH pattern that tied the episode together. 

Judith. 

"However you do it, kill Bjorn Ironside" / "Hhgrrrhhh" 

And lastly I must say that I would have been truly disappointed if the episode had not ended with the longest, loudest, hardest, most magnificent ARGH of all. 

Kattegat remains the best part of the season so far. Bjorn and the bear was disappointing but the rest of the Bjorn stuff was pretty good, although I wonder how many episode is just going to be Bjorn playing mountain man. The Berserker fight could be fun though. As for Floki it was pretty predictable that he would live on and I'm just kinda glad that whole thing is over. And isn't it a little bit hypocritical of Ragnar to complain about infidelity and loyalty?

Ecberth and Judith remains terrible. But suprisingly enough I'm really liking Aethelwulf and Kwenthrith, so they are actually living up the dreadfulness of Wessex.

Rollo's french lesson was a lot of fun but otherwise Paris is overall shitty. You'd think that integrating Rollo more into the Frankish culture would have been priority number one for Charles and company.

I really hope that is the last we ever see of Athelstan.

Oh yeah, I still think Hvitserk is Halfdan.

45 minutes ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

Kattegat remains the best part of the season so far. Bjorn and the bear was disappointing but the rest of the Bjorn stuff was pretty good, although I wonder how many episode is just going to be Bjorn playing mountain man. The Berserker fight could be fun though. As for Floki it was pretty predictable that he would live on and I'm just kinda glad that whole thing is over. And isn't it a little bit hypocritical of Ragnar to complain about infidelity and loyalty?

Ecberth and Judith remains terrible. But suprisingly enough I'm really liking Aethelwulf and Kwenthrith, so they are actually living up the dreadfulness of Wessex.

Rollo's french lesson was a lot of fun but otherwise Paris is overall shitty. You'd think that integrating Rollo more into the Frankish culture would have been priority number one for Charles and company.

I really hope that is the last we ever see of Athelstan.

Oh yeah, I still think Hvitserk is Halfdan.

Of course it's hypocritical of Ragnar to complain about infidelity and loyalty. But it's a mans world, and what's good for goose is apparently not good for gander

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Of course it's hypocritical of Ragnar to complain about infidelity and loyalty. But it's a mans world, and what's good for goose is apparently not good for gander

I'm wondering if the Seer told Ragnar about Aslaug asking if a woman would rule in Kattegat and that is the real reason he is questioning her loyalty.  Although, Ragnar is probably seeing traitors everywhere now considering Floki, Rollo and Aslaug. I can't wait to see his reaction if he finds out about Kalf and Erlandur.

6 hours ago, Crazydog7 said:

Oh history channel we get it everyone is SUPER in love with Athelstan.  Definitely one of those times I sympathize with Foki in all kinds of way.  Not only am I glad Athelstan got killed I wish he could be killed again. 

+1  I didn't mind Athelstan so much as a character, but I quickly grew tired of everyone's obsession with him. His final words should have been, "You can't win, Floki. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine". ;) 

Archived