Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Muggle

The Han Solo movie is happening. It will be Lawrence Kasdan's last contribution to the SW universe. I'd prefer it not to be made as well, but Kasdan should do the character justice. It's fortunately not an origin story though.

Here's a link to him talking about it

Yeah, my feelings basically. If anyone is going to write it, might as well be Kasdan. If he's sensible he'll make a good movie about a guy who happens to be Han Solo, and it'll avoid too many obvious shout outs etc. 

How is Edwards a better director? Monsters was ok, but Godzilla was pretty terrible. 

I'm also in the "It's Star Wars" camp. 

Godzilla wasn't great, but it was better than STID and much better than Super 8. Monsters was much better than anything Abrams' has ever done, imo.

But yeah, small reference pool, he might yet prove me wrong.

I'm 100% on board with this, primarily for reason #1 but also 'cause of that cast and I think it's a fun idea for a prequel.

I'm less thrilled about the Han Solo spin-off, primarily because [Ep. VII spoilers]

I'm just not that interested in learning more about characters after their ultimate fates are known. Its always a problem with prequels that you know how things have to turn out. But at least with something like Rogue One, there's a chance that older versions of those characters will show up in one of the 'present day' movies and do something. And if not, since all those characters new, any or all of them could die in the movie (depending how dark it is) and there'd be real tension

I'm 100% on board with this, primarily for reason #1 but also 'cause of that cast and I think it's a fun idea for a prequel.

I'm less thrilled about the Han Solo spin-off, primarily because [Ep. VII spoilers]

Hidden Content

It works better with villains, IMO, because it's far more interesting to know how a villain became a villain than how a hero became a hero.

It works better with villains, IMO, because it's far more interesting to know how a villain became a villain than how a hero became a hero.

Tbf, it does depend. There's a reason we all know exactly how Batman became Batman but the Joker's origins are at best confused.

But yeah, in this instance, I'm against. I wouldn't mind a story or two involving Yoda at some point in his 800-year life, but no origins plz. And no Han or Boba.

Tbf, it does depend. There's a reason we all know exactly how Batman became Batman but the Joker's origins are at best confused.

But yeah, in this instance, I'm against. I wouldn't mind a story or two involving Yoda at some point in his 800-year life, but no origins plz. And no Han or Boba.

I'd put Batman in a class more or less of his own, because he's a dark hero, of sorts. Well, depending on which flavour of Batman you enjoy. But the interesting part of his backstory, IMO, is just his parents, and it's almost just an aside. I think, generally, finding out how someone became a monster is a much more interesting characters study.

Maybe we'll learn how he became a villain. Or at least a scoundrel. ;)

But yeah, I hope he's not made out to be a bright hero. He can start off a bit idealistic, but that shine should be tarnished by the end so he's the one shooting first.

I find it curious that people are so against a Boba Fett movie. I don't care much either way. Because the thing about Boba being such a let down in the original trilogy is that he's pretty much a blank canvas. A movie about him could be anything - good or bad. 

I find it curious that people are so against a Boba Fett movie. I don't care much either way. Because the thing about Boba being such a let down in the original trilogy is that he's pretty much a blank canvas. A movie about him could be anything - good or bad. 

I'd love a Fett movie to take something like the approach that 1313 was apparently going to take. The movie opens following Boba Fett (as in Jango's son) but early on he gets killed and someone else takes his armour and his identity. 

If they are going to do it, they should just not acknowledge the idea of backstory at all. Never take the helmet off, speak as little as possible (hire someone like Hugo Weaving who's good at expressing themselves through body language). Just a single story of him, and the bounty.

I also choose option 4 and I'll be watching it for sure

Anyway, I doubt there's any chance in hell they'll pass up the opportunity to have Darth Vader in a new Star Wars movie, so there probably will be space wizards fighting, maybe Vader dispatches some characters from that animated show. Hope they don't bother recasting Leia, ideally they could have her mentioned and then feature briefly in one of the closing scenes with her 1977 face cgi superimposed or some such.

Most of the cast is good, so that looks promising. Most of all I hope the movie tries something a little different and adventurous. They don't really need to play it safe like TFA since it's a standalone movie.

Godzilla wasn't great, but it was better than STID and much better than Super 8. Monsters was much better than anything Abrams' has ever done, imo.
But yeah, small reference pool, he might yet prove me wrong.

I would only like to add that, while Godzilla was certainly a disappointment when it came down to the story and the acting, everyone here has to admit that the direction and cinematography were great. I mean that one scene where the soldiers jumped out of the airplane, as seen in the trailer here, I want to see more of that. Plus, as I understand it, Edwards was a creator or director of special effects before he became a director. That seems like an ideal match for a SW film.

Oh, and the one big movie he wrote the screenplay for (Tha'ts right, he only wrote a screenplay for Monsters, he didn't write a word for Godzilla) was better than any film by JJ Abrams ever did. That's promising. Directing wise, Edwards has this job covered. I just hope he gets better writers the next time. The same level of directing as episode VII, coupled with a good screenplay and you have yourself a bonafide classic like ESB imo. 

Archived