Where would you have sent Bran to squire?

PrinceHenryris

At the begging of the series, Bran wants to become a knight.  For a highborn boy like him, that would mean he'd have to serve as a squire somewhere.  Since most Northern houses ignore the trappings of knighthood, where would you have sent Bran if you were Ned?

Of course, this question presupposes that Bran didn't get chucked out a window and crippled.  

Then there's also the matter of Ned surviving long enough for Bran to reach squiring age.  The way I see it, that would mean that Ned either stayed in the North or figured out a way to survive long enough in KL.

Riverrun with the Blackfish. Plus he'd learn how to be the number two brother as well and what that entails.

Edited:  Although I suppose at this point the Blackfish is still in the Vale but even then he'd still be a good person to squire for and Bran would be with family which Ned would probably feel comfortable with.

While at KL Ned would probably have let Bran have some say in it as he seems that type of father with his kids. So if Bran struck a bond with a particular Knight or a Knight friend of Neds saw some promise in Bran Ned could ask the Knight if he would take Bran on as a Page then Squire.

Unfortunately there are not much standout Knights in KL but Barristan, as the rest of Roberts KG are shit. And Ned Wouldnt let him serve under Jaime.

So if Barristan could take him then that would be best. 

If he sends him out of KL then Vale or Stormlands make sense. 

As much as I love Selmy, I don't think Brans personality makeup would have really meshed well with Selmy.  Bran never struck me as the type that should be squired by a knight...that's just not the person he is.  I think Robb Stark would have been a much better choice to squire under Selmy.

Stannis, or more possibly Renly, Loras squired for him and became a knight of immense skill and honor, also he is the Kings brother and would have exposed Bran to Storms End and Kings Landing while with people that were undoubtedly Stark friendly

I would send him to white harbor. It´s close to WF, he can be raised with the faith to even become a knight. Manderlys might not be great knights but their master-at-arms would sure be good enough to get the job done. They´re fiercly loyal and strike me as smart, wich is a much better fit for Bran than Selmy, wether Bran likes it or not.

Even if Bran never falls, hes still not all that talented and would likely never get close to Selmys level of skill. All boys want to be great knights but not everyone can become one. It would be a good idea to send him to someone that has more to offer than that.

28 minutes ago, Ser Tristan Flowers said:

I would send him to white harbor. It´s close to WF, he can be raised with the faith to even become a knight. Manderlys might not be great knights but their master-at-arms would sure be good enough to get the job done. They´re fiercly loyal and strike me as smart, wich is a much better fit for Bran than Selmy, wether Bran likes it or not.

Even if Bran never falls, hes still not all that talented and would likely never get close to Selmys level of skill. All boys want to be great knights but not everyone can become one. It would be a good idea to send him to someone that has more to offer than that.

How do you know he's not all that talented?

If Ned would have stayed in the North, I think he would actually have chosen to send him to a Northern Lord. It might actually have been smart to sent him to be a page to Lady Dustin to heal the relationships between them. And if Bran really wanted to be knight, I think he should be sent to White Harbour because it is really the center of the knighthood in Northern culture. 

However I think Cat would not be too happy to see her favorite son going aways, so they might also choose to let Bran stay at home or maybe send him to the Glovers and Cerwyns who are loyal and very nearby. 

The Royces would be more far but Bran would get there amazing training, later the possibility to participate in tournaments and at the same time the Royces are very old friends with the Starks. 

(He could also sent Bran to the First Flints hoping that Bran would start to climb mountains instead of castles and maybe under a watchful eye of a mountain clan men; that would probably safer - it is still dangerous and it would also make Bran very happy (oh, look, I have new thing to climb :dunno:)

And if Ned however went to KL and stayed alive and Bran would south with him, I think Ned would probably have asked Selmy to train Bran. He probably knew how happy this would make Bran. He could still have sent Bran to the Royces, ... 

4 minutes ago, Ser Tristan Flowers said:

He´s small and somewhat frail. He trains with Tommen and doesn´t wipe the floor with him. That doesn´t mean he cant be good, but fighters like Selmy don´t come along very often. If he was that promising, we would surely hear about it.

He is seven and "Bran was standing over him with upraised wooden sword, ready to whack him again once he regained his feet." We just do not know how good he would be. But I do think he has (also) a lot of other (not-magical) talents like he is actually smart. The kid can reiterate all the castles of the Night's Watch, the stories of Old Nan, the sigils of the Northern Lords (while at the same time his two year older sister even did not know the fist of Glover, ...), knowledge about his father bannermen (f.e. where do live the mountain clans), ... 

3 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

He is seven and "Bran was standing over him with upraised wooden sword, ready to whack him again once he regained his feet." We just do not know how good he would be. But I do think he has (also) a lot of other (not-magical) talents like he is actually smart. The kid can reiterate all the castles of the Night's Watch, the stories of Old Nan, the sigils of the Northern Lords (while at the same time his two year older sister even did not know the fist of Glover, ...), knowledge about his father bannermen (f.e. where do live the mountain clans), ... 

That is exactly my point. Sending him to a simple warrior to be trained a knight, and nothing more, would be a complete waste of his talents. The Manderlys seem like the kind of people who could offer Bran a variety of things, but the Royces fit that bill just as well. They´re just further away.

4 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I'd send him to squire for Barristan fucking Selmy 

Ser Barristan Fucking Selmy please. :P

Since we know that Ned wanted to take Bran to Kings Landing and we know that Barristan and Ned respected each other, that seems like a very good bet.

It would be a great honor for Bran to serve as the Lord Commanders squire and it would be hard for Barristan to refuse the hands request.

Archived