Dating: Hell is Other People

4 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

we typically work a lot. my weeks are usually 60 to 70 hours. the job itself is very consuming in time and energy leaving so many of us tired and useless when days off do come. i have seen a lot of relationships fall apart due to the rigors of the chef life. 

it is important to know the truth of the life and to have reasonable expectations on what the person can provide and what you want. and it sounds like you likely do.

So.....I can have a greenlight here?  I'm a wreck on my days off too.  I can talk to you nerds, because you're not actually present. All meatbags can fuck off.

How come all of those composite girls are gorgeous and the majority of the composite guys are just kind of normal looking? I was thinking that maybe facial symmetry en masse (everyone's asymmetries balancing each other out) was making all of the girls so pretty, but the guys have blown that theory.

1 hour ago, Arkhangel said:

How come all of those composite girls are gorgeous and the majority of the composite guys are just kind of normal looking? I was thinking that maybe facial symmetry en masse (everyone's asymmetries balancing each other out) was making all of the girls so pretty, but the guys have blown that theory.

I could answer that but I'm not really an unbiased voice in this :P accurate reflection of reality imo!

2 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

Yeah that's what I was wondering! The girls are all really pretty and the guys are just kind of all right 

by what principle were the composites produced? certainly the computer based it on a selection of images, rather than on a good photograph of every single person in each alleged group? (the underlying principle, that there is an uzbek look, say, is rooted in purported ethnicity, rather than citizenship, which makes it all kinda gross when conflated with desgnations for states, incidentally.) which nerds selected the images? perhaps the selectors had an interest in developing a specific standard of beauty for persons on the designated female chart, and perhaps were a bit cavalier regarding the so-called male chart?

Why the elaborate methodological conspiracy theory when Occam's razor could suffice?

ETA: Idea! If the attractiveness of a population if described by a function, then the square of that function is the attractiveness of the composite of that population.  Differences between men and women are thus amplified in the squared function. Makes perfect sense *nod*

what conspiracy need be, or in fact has been, alleged when the selectors shall have had unintended philistinisms with respect to gender ideology and aesthetic standards? aggregate of unconscious structures of affect, &., no, culturally overdetermined but held in each alleged 'individual' mind as though it were an original and independent thought?

I'm not really seeing the disparity between the groups, tbh.  Both collections seem to have a majority of fairly attractive faces with a few outliers of more to very attractive, and a few that i would judge as less to unattractive, relative to the majority.

Also, I would totally move to Wales if.... well, you know.  :P

11 hours ago, Starkess said:

Can I get Iran, Ireland, and White American to come have some fun? Mmm.

Frankly, I wouldn't kick **any** of 'em out of bed.  Just sayin'.  :leer: 

Seriously, aren't they supposed to be a computer-generated composite/representation of features normally found in a particular region of the world?  IOW, not really a specific person, but a conglomeration of "typical" features. 

9 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

You are correct about the averaging ("Researchers have replicated the result under more controlled conditions and found that the computer generated, mathematical average of a series of faces is rated more favorably than individual faces.") Personally, I think most of the composite face of men are quite attractive, but I would also hypothesize that since they used real pictures to create the composites, it is more likely that, on average, the women were tending to and caring more for their appearance due to societal norms.

ETA: I believe the methodology was to start with pictures of actual women/men and then use the computer just to create the composite image, so no, it's not entirely computer-generated.

6 hours ago, The Mance said:

I'm not really seeing the disparity between the groups, tbh.  Both collections seem to have a majority of fairly attractive faces with a few outliers of more to very attractive, and a few that i would judge as less to unattractive, relative to the majority.

Also, I would totally move to Wales if.... well, you know.  :P

I'd move to Wales to save the sheep.

On 3/5/2016 at 10:02 PM, Datepalm said:

I have no idea why this post insists on quoting Datepalm. Never mind.

A not-exactly-dating-related question for the hive mind: I keep on having coffee or meeting in other various ways with people who've either never met me or haven't met me very often. Depending on the energy level - keep in mind that I'm an extrovert - I occasionally arrive in full Tigger mode. I've been trying to moderate this slightly, but want to know: for the first few meetings, how moderated does the Tigger effect need to be and for how long do I need to keep my foot on the brake?

eta: these meetings can be social, academic, or business-ish. I try to rein it in for the latter.

Every situation is different, etc etc. That said, for business, you should lock that stuff down for the duration, because there's a real danger of being judged flighty or frivolous. And because I know generally which fields you're angling for, I can say with good assurance that "flighty" will win you just as many friends as salad; that is, none. For academia -- keep it locked down for the first 20 minutes or so, then test the waters. Same with social engagements. If people start pulling away, then you have the choice on how to act, and whether those contacts are worth maintaining.

3 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

How Tigger is Tigger?

When I'm really on a roll, the paws do not touch the ground. This happens less often than it used to.

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Every situation is different, etc etc. That said, for business, you should lock that stuff down for the duration, because there's a real danger of being judged flighty or frivolous. And because I know generally which fields you're angling for, I can say with good assurance that "flighty" will win you just as many friends as salad; that is, none. For academia -- keep it locked down for the first 20 minutes or so, then test the waters. Same with social engagements. If people start pulling away, then you have the choice on how to act, and whether those contacts are worth maintaining.

Thanks for the advice. Watch me perform the role of a serious person for all future engagements. I will be clock-watching where possible.

So I think I have a date with an ex from a few years back (much discussed in early versions of this thread) who I had to redistribute based on him being terribly handsome (think if Thor was a metal guitarist) but a close friend of one of my ex spouses and far too rowdy. He randomly texted to say he quit drinking and knows I hate him but he wants to take me out and he sent pictures of his adorable cat. I've been in a terrible gloom and he was really great for letting me do unspeakable sex things to him so while this could be a terrible idea I'm probably just going to do it anyway.

23 hours ago, Kay Fury said:

So I think I have a date with an ex from a few years back (much discussed in early versions of this thread) who I had to redistribute based on him being terribly handsome (think if Thor was a metal guitarist) but a close friend of one of my ex spouses and far too rowdy. He randomly texted to say he quit drinking and knows I hate him but he wants to take me out and he sent pictures of his adorable cat. I've been in a terrible gloom and he was really great for letting me do unspeakable sex things to him so while this could be a terrible idea I'm probably just going to do it anyway.

Go for it.  I've banged Mr. Fling a few times for the exact same reason.  He's still an asshole, but it's very relaxing.  For me, anyway.

So MC's predictions have proved correct so far.  I was supposed to meet up with Mayday after going home Saturday afternoon for a few hours to handle some family crap.  I wound up falling asleep on the sofa and texted her later than planned.  She had also fallen asleep on the sofa, texting me back about three hours after that.  By that point I had actually made it to my bed and was down for the night.  She said she made it to hers for a few hours in the morning when we both had a laugh about how useless we were.

I'm actually off work for 4 days coming Wednesday.  If I have to go over there and sleep on her doorway to see her, I will do this.  She'll at least trip over me on the way to the couch.

Archived