[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

Hackapalooza.

The show manages to be two kinds of bad now at once.

Other than a few secondary deaths out of nowhere, it's predictable.  Everyone knows the Starks will take back Winterfell.  Everyone knew Olly would betray Jon.  Everyone knew Arya would never be no one. Everyone paying attention knows that Carol will burn some cities to the ground.  So, all of this is going to happen it's obvious.

That makes their character/logic destroying decisions even worse.  If we know the Starks will take back WF, why do they have to be humiliated and stupid, abandoned by the North?  What does that add?  If Carol is going to go crazy and try to burn down KL, why does that have to come out of nowhere?  Why is sad Carol, resigned Carol, quiet muted Carol who will instantly turn into Crazy Carol better than Cersei becoming more and more unhinged as each negative event spirals her more out of control?  If we know the Vale army rides North, why does Royce have be ruined? Why does it have to be dumbest set of decisions that gets them there?

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Hackapalooza.

Other than a few secondary deaths out of nowhere, it's predictable.  Everyone knows the Starks will take back Winterfell.  Everyone knew Olly would betray Jon.  Everyone knew Arya would never be no one. Everyone paying attention knows that Carol will burn some cities to the ground.  So, all of this is going to happen it's obvious.

That makes their character/logic destroying decisions even worse.  If we know the Starks will take back WF, why do they have to be humiliated and stupid, abandoned by the North?  What does that add?  If Carol is going to go crazy and try to burn down KL, why does that have to come out of nowhere?  Why is sad Carol, resigned Carol, quiet muted Carol who will instantly turn into Crazy Carol better than Cersei becoming more and more unhinged as each negative event spirals her more out of control?  If we know the Vale army rides North, why does Royce have be ruined? Why does it have to be dumbest set of decisions that gets them there?

Because LOOK AT HOW DRAMATIC WE ARE.  Ah, television is so exciting!  If we do it this way, our viewers will clearly find it more engaging than Martin's silly "extraneous" writing-- after all, no one has ever seen these tropes a thousand fucking times before.   

1 hour ago, A bowl of brown said:

Sorry, I meant the books. I don't like Cersei and think she deserves death,  I just don't think she deserved that horrendous walk (because no one does). The show doesn't really make me feel anything anymore except for the odd its so bad its funny moment. The last episode was actually so ridiculous I stopped even trying to compare it to the books.

And yeah its probably the wrong thread to debate it.

She survived the walk. How many people will never walk again, dead or alive because of her. She has gotten off pretty light thus far 

1 hour ago, The Ned's Little Girl said:

So it will be SHOCKING when he turns on her. It can't possibly be a long, gradual realization by Jaime how toxic the relationship always has been, it can't be as if he's slowly awakening from some nightmare. That's not HUGELY DRAMATICALLY SATISFYING, that's boring.

D&D&C are doing the same with the Starks. They have to be shoved down into the lowest possible place, then shoved down some more. Because how else can we possibly cheer ourselves hoarse and fist-pump like bros when they're suddenly SHOCKINGLY completely restored to power? It'll be SO DRAMATIC!

You can't have characters who execute their long-term plans and slowly, gradually move themselves toward their goals (you know, like actual real people do)! How boring and mundane! Reversals of fortune are so much more DRAMATICALLY SATISFYING when they come out of nowhere!

It's so beyond idiotic, but I'm always impressed by it's apparent effectiveness. The "OMG DID YOU SEE THAT" effect that instantly wipes away 8 episodes of boring underwhelming filler that, at this point, doesn't even pretend to be much of a story. 

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Hackapalooza.

Typical, isn't it. It's like the no-win scenarios they create with their plot holes, where no matter how you look at it, there's a plot hole or inconsistency. It's a special talent, I'm sure. 

The worst part is going to be show only people's reactions to Episode 9's action packed Bastard Bowl. "See? Told you this was the best show of all time!!1 How can anyone not like this show?!" 

9 minutes ago, jbent87 said:

The worst part is going to be show only people's reactions to Episode 9's action packed Bastard Bowl. "See? Told you this was the best show of all time!!1 How can anyone not like this show?!" 

A part of me dies on the inside whenever I see the hype crowd in any medium just lavish a piece of fiction with praise when its quality is abysmal.  It's sort of an ever-present reminder that you don't need critical acclaim, a good story, worthy character development, or skill in writing at all as long as you can produce sensationalism.  

It's most sickening when you're dealing with adaptations where the adapted version savagely butchers its source material, and yet still makes away with a fortune along with every major magazine, website, and publication showering it with praise.  If there was ever an adaptation that proved how worthless critics really are, one need look only at the Last Airbender live action movie.  It was a total critical failure, and yet still made away with a massive profit at the box office.

Just now, Apathetic Onlooker said:

A part of me dies on the inside whenever I see the hype crowd in any medium just lavish a piece of fiction with praise when its quality is abysmal.  It's sort of an ever-present reminder that you don't need critical acclaim, a good story, worthy character development, or skill in writing at all as long as you can produce sensationalism.  

It's most sickening when you're dealing with adaptations where the adapted version savagely butchers its source material, and yet still makes away with a fortune along with every major magazine, website, and publication showering it with praise.  

Amen. Early on, seasons 1-3, when B&W didn't have to do TOO much, this show was great. But as it drags on and the actual source material wears thing it has become exposed. 

11 minutes ago, jbent87 said:

See Hardhome last year.  Everyone lost their minds and completely forgot how bad the previous 8 episodes had been.  I think people are looking for excuses to like the show, it's the only explanation.

1 minute ago, The Wull said:

See Hardhome last year.  Everyone lost their minds and completely forgot how bad the previous 8 episodes had been.  I think people are looking for excuses to like the show, it's the only explanation.

and then since the prior 8 episodes were all boring set up bullshit, episode 10 (longest episode ever!! OMG!!) will be 14 different storylines all getting wrapped up all at once. Which again, the commonfolk will take as great, action packed product. 

1 minute ago, jbent87 said:

and then since the prior 8 episodes were all boring set up bullshit, episode 10 (longest episode ever!! OMG!!) will be 14 different storylines all getting wrapped up all at once. Which again, the commonfolk will take as great, action packed product. 

Actually, what that long cliff-hanger episode does is get people to speculate the whole offseason what crazy reveal or plot twist is coming next, when in reality we already know how these cliffhangers will get resolved.  None of them will actually mean anything as they've shown with Jon's death, Sansa and Theon jumping off Winterfell etc.  It's all a scam to get people's minds off how shitty their show is.

5 minutes ago, jbent87 said:

I'm waiting for Ramsey Bolton to suddenly get portrayed in a sympathetic light that will make everyone go "awww.... what a sad, cuddly psychopath.  Who'd he ever hurt except all those people he brutalized?"

13 minutes ago, Apathetic Onlooker said:

I'm waiting for Ramsey Bolton to suddenly get portrayed in a sympathetic light that will make everyone go "awww.... what a sad, cuddly psychopath.  Who'd he ever hurt except all those people he brutalized?"

They already did that when he mourned Myranda...

...before feeding her corpse to the dogs.

Just now, Dolorous Gabe said:

They already did that when he mourned Myranda...

...before feeding her corpse to the dogs.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, lmao.  

You see?  At least we can say he takes care of his animals.  Maybe Ghost won't die in this upcoming battle after all.  

Ha Ha, Ha..... huh.  :(

And, conversely, D&D&C just have to show any character who is headed for a fall, to be invincible in the interim. That's why Ramsay has the loyalty of everybody and he wins everything always. Because when he is inevitably defeated, it will be SO SHOCKING!

Can't possibly portray him as someone who step-by-step undermines himself, thoughtlessly kicking out the very support beams that are holding him up in the first place! No way nohow! That's boring! Realistic and lifelike portrayals are for hacks like George!

35 minutes ago, The Wull said:

It's the Roman playbook. GOT is like the Coliseum with gladiators and excitement and death. Meanwhile, Rome itself could be failing due to political turmoil, wars, barbarians etc. The people focused on the gladiators so they wouldn't see the true issues.

1 hour ago, SuperMario said:

It's the Roman playbook. GOT is like the Coliseum with gladiators and excitement and death. Meanwhile, Rome itself could be failing due to political turmoil, wars, barbarians etc. The people focused on the gladiators so they wouldn't see the true issues.

This is it! This is exactly what's going on. When I got in to work today after not being here since Sunday day, I asked the two unsullied I work with how they liked the last two episodes. Neither one had seen them yet (even though they are "huge" fans) but the only focus they had about the show is the big battle with Jon Snow and "that other guy".

That's as deep as it goes  :dunno:

1 hour ago, The Ned's Little Girl said:

And, conversely, D&D&C just have to show any character who is headed for a fall, to be invincible in the interim. That's why Ramsay has the loyalty of everybody and he wins everything always. Because when he is inevitably defeated, it will be SO SHOCKING!

Can't possibly portray him as someone who step-by-step undermines himself, thoughtlessly kicking out the very support beams that are holding him up in the first place! No way nohow! That's boring! Realistic and lifelike portrayals are for hacks like George!

Whats funny is that they pay lip service to the idea that Ramsay's behavior will lead to his down fall, but they have zero follow through so far.

I wonder if Tyrion failing to negotiate an alliance with the slavers is a response to the saint Tyrion criticism, ala what they are trying and failing to do with Sansa.  It won't matter though when Dany or the greyjoys capture half of the invading fleet though     

1 hour ago, Apathetic Onlooker said:

Apparently, according to some, we are going to be (or should have been by now??) "forced to sympathize" with Ramsay this season... I'm still waiting for that moment... :blushing:

http://www.ibtimes.com/game-thrones-season-6-cast-member-hints-you-may-end-sympathizing-ramsay-bolton-2349428

Archived