Star Trek: Beyond the 1st Trailer

JGP

33 minutes ago, red snow said:

Well they've been trying to make trek more like wars since JJ came along so it might still work. Given his feelings towards Episode I I'd hope he had  feel for fans of other franchises.

They must understand they risk pushing away fans of Star Trek by doing so.  

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I like Star Wars and Star Trek.  But I don't want Star Trek to become Star Wars or Star Wars to become Star Trek.  There is lots of room for both canons.

So much this!

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/5/2016 at 5:27 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I like Star Wars and Star Trek.  But I don't want Star Trek to become Star Wars or Star Wars to become Star Trek.  There is lots of room for both canons.

Agree. I love both ST and SW and I hate the fact that some people want to see ST becoming SW. 

Now back in the series. As a Bones' fan what scares me is how little he is in the trailers, I don't want to remember how little he was in the previous movies either when because they wanted to fit SpockOhura they had limited Bones. Now adding the fact that when Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto have alread signed for a possible fourth movie, unlike Karl Urban, I am afraid that they will kill Bones.

50 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Agree. I love both ST and SW and I hate the fact that some people want to see ST becoming SW. 

Now back in the series. As a Bones' fan what scares me is how little he is in the trailers, I don't want to remember how little he was in the previous movies either when because they wanted to fit SpockOhura they had limited Bones. Now adding the fact that when Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto have alread signed for a possible fourth movie, unlike Karl Urban, I am afraid that they will kill Bones.

I can't believe they'd kill one of the big three... but I suppose stranger things have happened.  My worry is just the opposite; that nothing of consequence will happen.  :dunno: 

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

I can't believe they'd kill one of the big three... but I suppose stranger things have happened.  My worry is just the opposite; that nothing of consequence will happen.  :dunno: 

It seems to me that they have replaced Bones with Ohura as one of the big three with her forced romance with Spock. Even if the three basically represent the three parts of Freud's psyche and Bones is one of the most iconic character in the ST universe they chose to make him just a minor character who stays in the background like an extra and just say a quote every now and then.  In the last two movies from what I recall Bones has appeared in like less than thirty minutes in each movie and he had only five big scenes in two movies; 

Spoiler

meeting with Kirk and introducing himself, bringing Kirk on the the Enterprise, one with openning the torpedo, the chasing in the jungle and Kirk's resurrection.

and he wasn't the central character in any of them.

I kind of agree with Chris Pine's opinions on why new Trek isn't cerebral. Good for him for being open about it in a "you determine the films that get made" kind of way. More weird was his antagonism towards rumours I'd never heard of Shatner appearing in the film. Although again I liked his defence of it which was "the film would simply be about that happening". Maybe they learned something from "into darkness" where all anyone talked about was khan.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I kind of agree with Chris Pine's opinions on why new Trek isn't cerebral. Good for him for being open about it in a "you determine the films that get made" kind of way. More weird was his antagonism towards rumours I'd never heard of Shatner appearing in the film. Although again I liked his defence of it which was "the film would simply be about that happening". Maybe they learned something from "into darkness" where all anyone talked about was khan.

I don't know that a Trek film has true room to be cerebral.  That's more the domain of the show.  ST: The Motion Picture was cerebral.  It was unbearably slow.  However, that's no excuse to be internally inconsistent.

I think Into Darkness should have gone for "Space Seed" instead of Wrath of Khan.  Let the Enterprise find out from Spock about the Botany Bay and that an element of Starfleet is lookin for it for nefarious reasons.  Turn it into a chase across the galaxy tracking it down.  Wake Khan up and have him turn everything on its head for both crews.  Have someone getting married as well.  Kill the bride instead of the husband.  Would have been much better than the convoluted mess we got.

The new Trek could be great if they took the correct inspiration and then intelligently ramped up the action.  Instead, we get incoherent messes.

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

I don't know that a Trek film has true room to be cerebral.  That's more the domain of the show.  ST: The Motion Picture was cerebral.  It was unbearably slow.  However, that's no excuse to be internally inconsistent.

I think Into Darkness should have gone for "Space Seed" instead of Wrath of Khan.  Let the Enterprise find out from Spock about the Botany Bay and that an element of Starfleet is lookin for it for nefarious reasons.  Turn it into a chase across the galaxy tracking it down.  Wake Khan up and have him turn everything on its head for both crews.  Have someone getting married as well.  Kill the bride instead of the husband.  Would have been much better than the convoluted mess we got.

The new Trek could be great if they took the correct inspiration and then intelligently ramped up the action.  Instead, we get incoherent messes.

I'd quite like to watch a SF chase film either Mad Max style or good guys chasing after something. I guess it's tricky with trek gizmos. BSG the show dabbled in chase storylines. I also liked the stargate universe concept of them only having a certain number of hours before it jumoed again.

True story

First time i stumbled upon the trailer i was kinda sleepy, and accidentaly opened two tabs . I watched it but there was an extra set of sound just a split second after the other. I didnt understand a thing but went to sleep thinking that this was some parallel universe storyline and puzzled they made such a weird but bold trailer. In the morning i found the two tabs and felt kinda dissapointed... (maybe a litle stupid too)

On 6/18/2016 at 1:31 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

You may be on to something, weirdly enough Bones has his own solo poster while Kirk has other people on his. 

1 hour ago, DjourouLoveMe? said:

The anticipation for this film just became much sadder: Anton Yelchin has died in a car accident.

Shit.

What a bizarre accident.  2016 continues to suck. 

He nailed Chekov and definitely seemed like he had a good future ahead of him.

2 hours ago, DjourouLoveMe? said:

The anticipation for this film just became much sadder: Anton Yelchin has died in a car accident.

Shit.

WHAT? Can we do something in order 2016 to finish earlier that it should? 

1 hour ago, Lord Hanna said:

You may be on to something, weirdly enough Bones has his own solo poster while Kirk has other people on his. 

Heck even Sulu, Scott and Chekhov have more screen time than Bones. I only wish that they try to make it more interesting, we know that Kirk and Spock will survive but we can't be sure about the rest. I have also heard the option that his ex wife will appear and maybe she will convince him to abandon the five year mission.

Damn. that is sad. Only 27. I really liked him in Trek and Terminator: Salvation. My heart goes out to his family and friends. 

NuTrek's cast has been my favorite thing about the reboot. I'd probably watch a new TV series with them. I have a lot to complain about the two films, but I enjoy them just to see the cast. Watching them, I go "Man, that was a lazy plot twist. Man, I like this cast. Wow, saw that coming. Wanna foreshadow it a bit harder? Damn, these people are fun!" 

I hope the new film is better, though, and that Uhura isn't just the Angry Girlfriend Who Proves Why Workplace Relationships Don't Work. 

RIP, Anton Yelchin. 

13 minutes ago, Liver and Onions said:

I hope the new film is better, though, and that Uhura isn't just the Angry Girlfriend Who Proves Why Workplace Relationships Don't Work. 

For me this was the worse part. They actually made a scene where Ohura was nagging in the middle of their most dangerous mission. IMNSHO in the Original Series their relationship was much better and more interesting. No matter what they will do this scene 

will always be the best UhuraSpock scene in ST.

5 hours ago, DjourouLoveMe? said:

Shit.

Holy shit, that's fucking horrible.

I always liked Anton Yelchin, I though he was one of the better thing about the new Star Trek movies and I can't remember him ever being any thing other good in a role even if the movie was not very good.

RIP

Archived