JEORDHl

DCEU: The Wings of Liberty Have Lost Some Feathers

321 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I don't understand why the S stands for Solomon. He's the only Biblical character in the acronym. The rest of the Acronym is made up of Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury, which is a mix of Greek and Roman gods and a Titan. So why not make the S stand for Saturn, or if not wanting to confuse with the planet, then Sol Invictus maybe, being the sun god. The sun is a pretty mighty and powerful object to be the leading letter for Shazam. I guess the creators thought any S gods from Roman mythology are not well enough known to include them. Or perhaps they actually wanted that biblical connection.

Because the creators of the 40s didn't have access to the internet and were less informed.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Because the creators of the 40s didn't have access to the internet and were less informed.

Also, because none of the 'S' gods they could think of were associated with Wisdom, which might be the key attribute that's supposed to make Shazam stand out from other heroes. They could probably have done a switcheroo and made one of the As the Wisdom of Athena and the S be something else, but that would have made the wisdom be less at the forefront of the myth of the character and in any case 'Wisdom of Athena' isn't as ingrained a phrase/idiom in our language. I strongly suspect that Solomon came first and all the others came later.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Ya done messed up, Zack and Joss

https://twitter.com/melsil/status/929857954697924612

You mean within the space of less than a year they have completely changed to costuming for the Themysicra warriors? I mean I suppose one could argue that in DCEU time we're talking about 100 years, but I assume Themyscira hasn't really had a style change for centuries, so what's 100 years in their time?

And if a uniform upgrade is called for due to recent changing circumstances, is the appropriate response to reduce how much cover the armour provides? Probably not.

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Also, because none of the 'S' gods they could think of were associated with Wisdom, which might be the key attribute that's supposed to make Shazam stand out from other heroes. They could probably have done a switcheroo and made one of the As the Wisdom of Athena and the S be something else, but that would have made the wisdom be less at the forefront of the myth of the character and in any case 'Wisdom of Athena' isn't as ingrained a phrase/idiom in our language. I strongly suspect that Solomon came first and all the others came later.

And Athena is a female, and it's unthinkable to have a female among the divine entities you would invoke to turn yourself into a mighty hero, right?

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I prefer the Zack Snyder version.

There's a shocker. 

From the glimpses we see of the Amazons in the trailers though, it doesn't look like that's their war gear (it's hard to see- it might be), and as the replies point out, Patty Jenkins' Amazons wore very similar outfits in their off-time. So it's a big ado about nothing unless it turns out that that actually is what they fight in.

16 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

And Athena is a female, and it's unthinkable to have a female among the divine entities you would invoke to turn yourself into a mighty hero, right?

Err, no. Where on Earth did you get the impression that I even close to think that?

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I prefer the Zack Snyder version.

My gob has never been more smacked

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Err, no. Where on Earth did you get the impression that I even close to think that?

Not you, the guys who originally came up with the idea that Shazam is an acronym which invokes the powers of great historical and / or mythological entities. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Not you, the guys who originally came up with the idea that Shazam is an acronym which invokes the powers of great historical and / or mythological entities. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

Fair cop. I was a bit confused.

Rotten Tomatoes are holding off for some reason, but the reviews are out there. I'm seeing a sea of 2/5. 

I have come to the point where I completely ignore advance reviews as a total because it just doesn't mean anything for me.

Sometimes they are right to blast a film, and then there are many cases where they praise to the sky films I end up disliking, and then they blast movies I really dig. Maybe going off a specific reviewer whose taste matches yours makes sense but there is such a multitude of opinions and reviews now that the advance score as a whole has become meaningless ( to me).

Edited by Calibandar

Non spoiler review. She does like the movie a lot, but she does say there's lots of problems and admits that one reason she likes the movie is she's a DC fangirl. Special criticism for how poorly Zac Snyder portrays women including Wonder Woman herself.

I'll still see it and probably like it OK.

29 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Non spoiler review. She does like the movie a lot, but she does say there's lots of problems and admits that one reason she likes the movie is she's a DC fangirl. Special criticism for how poorly Zac Snyder portrays women including Wonder Woman herself.

I'll still see it and probably like it OK.

I don't care what anyone says, if a movie is 50% REALLY bad then its a bad movie. Good movies don't have at least of their run time spent being incredibly crappy. 

10 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Really not that big of a deal. They show the abs, whoo-hoo. This is the same dude who did 300. I prefer the Wonder Woman outfits, but it's nothing big.

Yeah i think someone is trying to crowbar a political point onto something fairly innocuous there. Just like most people on twitter.

45 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Yeah i think someone is trying to crowbar a political point onto something fairly innocuous there. Just like most people on twitter.

Alternately they entirely missed the point and a whole lot of people who were very happy with WW for showing women in garb and actually functional armor are turned into something else. 

It's not the worst thing ever, but it is disappointing and is another example of them being thoughtless. 

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Really not that big of a deal. They show the abs, whoo-hoo. This is the same dude who did 300. I prefer the Wonder Woman outfits, but it's nothing big.

I'd put it down to the "300" effect - especially as it's showing off their 12-pack abs. I guess it still highlights the differences between directors though.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Alternately they entirely missed the point and a whole lot of people who were very happy with WW for showing women in garb and actually functional armor are turned into something else. 

It's not the worst thing ever, but it is disappointing and is another example of them being thoughtless. 

While apparently functional armour I still wonder how often we'd see men fighting in short skirts? I guess the wonder woman film was a step in the right direction at least.

Other reviews:

Chris Stuckmann says it's the "least Snyder-like film he's seen by the director" and that it feels like it's by a sole director in terms of even-tone. He suggests Whedon may have done more than WB have let on. That or there's been some heavy editing.