[Spoiler] No way in Seven hells is this happening in the books

56 minutes ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

Actually OP she is actually ahead in line to Jaime who had no claim whatsoever. She's ascending as Cersei Baratheon and is the rightful ruler ironically.  

Did I misunderstand Qyburn during the show? I though he said, "Cersei Lannister, first of her name," when he crowned her.

I could be making that up though. I've only watched once.

10 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Their is no way Cersei sits on the Iron Throne in the books. First off it makes no sense in the show because Jamie got kicked out of the KG so he is in line before her. Second in the books, if Cersei does burn down the Great Sept of Baelor resulting in the Tyrells and THS died Tommen won't kill himself seeing as he is only 5, also this just strengths Stannis (who's still alive) claim because his rlegion won't be as big of an issue and Aegon's claim due to him being nearby with an army.

*pats you over the head* No....no....

Cersei might declare herself Queen in her own right in the books or she might not (though she wouldn't have to, with Tommen being only 5) but whatever happens Stannis is never, ever, ever gonna sit the Iron Throne. Ever. also what's a "rlegion"? Do you mean his religion? No, it's still an issue because there'd still be enough Septons and Septas around Westeros and the common people would still follow the Seven.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

That is based on the problematic assumption that we got the final version of the Mercy chapter to read. I doubt that. This chapter was originally written as the first chapter after the five year gap and as such included Cersei still ruling the Seven Kingdoms as the Queen Regent. She is not going to do this again. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Even if Cersei came back to power in the books she would not be able to pull off a thing like the wildfire plot with Varys still in the city. Apparent power is not actual power, and right now Varys is the guy who actually controls KL.

He was the one behind the rise of the High Septon, he is the one who had years to groom the people for an eventual Targaryen restoration, and he should control all the mid-level people in the bureaucracy and the City Watch at this point. Remember, that Tyrion (quite correctly, I think) concluded that Ser Jacelyn Bywater was Varys' man. He would have many others.

As to Cersei's claim:

Dowagers do have claims to seats and crowns in Westeros. They are weak claims but they do exist. So Cersei does have 'a claim' if you want, but it is clear that this nothing but a power grab in the show. Again, stuff like that could also happen in the books. But it is impossible for book Cersei to ever pull such a thing off.

Not unless we assume Aegon is going to die immediately and Cersei is restored to power to serve as Dany's great antagonist. But that's not what's going to happen.

I don't think we know that.  GRRM was going to demonstrate a lot of things in flashbacks and what I read from him was that ADWD was going to originally deal with Dany's arrival in Westeros and that would happen very early on in the books.  GRRM then realised the flashback narrative didn't work.

6 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

I don't think we know that.  GRRM was going to demonstrate a lot of things in flashbacks and what I read from him was that ADWD was going to originally deal with Dany's arrival in Westeros and that would happen very early on in the books.  GRRM then realised the flashback narrative didn't work.

We know that because George has said so on his NAB when he released the chapter.

The Mercy chapter had a long history of development.

And it is quite clear that dialogue between Raff and the other guy as well as Harys' casually hanging out in Braavos doesn't fit well (or at all) with what has transpired in the Epilogue. Kevan was Harys' father-in-law and his only ally in KL. He is now on Mace Tyrell's mercy. Raff and company would also talk about the murders, the political situation, and Cersei's walk rather than give the impression she is in charge.

13 minutes ago, ImNoSer said:

this x 100

so many posts on this forum forget this point.

"but the rules clearly state that x y and z must happen since a b and c."

only thing that matters is who has the power at the moment.

Yeah. I mean people talk about how everyone would riot and rebel. Cersei just BOMBED the freakin sept and everyone in it, along with the surrounding buildings. The people of King's Landing accepted her as their Queen for the simple reason of BEING SCARED SHITLESS. If the smallfolk actually had any power, no tyrant woud ever rule. I imagine the conversation would go like this:

"But...you have no claim to the Throne!"

"I say I do. What the fuck you gonna do about it, bitch?"

"..."

"That's what I thought."

Nah, Cersei will sit the throne in the books. Things will happen differently; ie Tommen probably won't kill himself, but he will die and Cersei will likely have the sept blown to pieces before her trial. Makes perfect sense.

Stannis being alive is irrelevant because he's already been disinherited on account of being a traitor. It's also deliciously ironic because Cersei finally gets complete power for herself, but loses her children through doing so.

It's still possible but the journey will be different. For starters we will have a sand snake in Kings Landing.

Point of clarification. Tommen is about 9-10 right now in the books. He's roughly the same age as Bran.

I agree that Cersei will try to get to this point in the books--Queen on the throne.  However, there is no way in hell that the townsfolks of King's Landing will be ok with this.  They hate her.  I suspect if she does assume the throne, it won't be as easily as in the tv show, and that she will have tons of opposition.

2 hours ago, Mister Stoneheart said:

I agree that Cersei will try to get to this point in the books--Queen on the throne.  However, there is no way in hell that the townsfolks of King's Landing will be ok with this.  They hate her.  I suspect if she does assume the throne, it won't be as easily as in the tv show, and that she will have tons of opposition.

Are you reading the books? Cersei's trial is supposed to happen very soon. There is no chance to postpone it any longer, especially not with Aegon coming. There is a chance to cancel it completely or a chance of Cersei fleeing the city before it happens, but neither is very likely because in the books not only Cersei stands accused but with her the legitimacy of King Tommen and Princess Myrcella. Both Cersei and the Tyrells have to take that off the table and Cersei's trial-by-combat will accomplish this.

Could be that the High Septon decides not to accept a victory won via a zombie monster created via black magic. Then things will deteriorate rather quickly.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Are you reading the books? Cersei's trial is supposed to happen very soon. There is no chance to postpone it any longer, especially not with Aegon coming. There is a chance to cancel it completely or a chance of Cersei fleeing the city before it happens, but neither is very likely because in the books not only Cersei stands accused but with her the legitimacy of King Tommen and Princess Myrcella. Both Cersei and the Tyrells have to take that off the table and Cersei's trial-by-combat will accomplish this.

Could be that the High Septon decides not to accept a victory won via a zombie monster created via black magic. Then things will deteriorate rather quickly.

Also Tommen is not p*ssy whipped by Marg or under the HS thumb so how would Trial by Combat be banned and if it isn't what then is Cersei's motivation to do this?

In the original draft, Jaime was going to kill his way to the Iron Throne. He was originallygoing to be the main antagonist. It's clear now that Versailles was given his original role. It will happen in the books, and she will be displaced by the younger and fairer queen(Dany).

Of course this is happening in the books. How could you think otherwise?

Did you even read ADWD/AFFC? Do you not remember how Littlefinger gets Sansa to go to Winterfell to marry Ramsey who rapes here? And how Stannis gets thousands of sellswords because none of the Northern Lords join his cause but then they all abandon him because he's a terrible leader who sleeps through anything so he has to burn his daughter for some sunshine and then gets killled by Brienne before Seylse hangs herself and afterwards Theon escapes with Sansa? Then Varys reveals his ultimate plan to back Dany because she is the only option left so he gets Tyrion to Mereen to become the assistant ruler but he first rows through the ruins of Valyria where Jorah gets greyscale? Then Jaime goes to Dorne to rescue Myrcella but the sand snakes poison her? And Jon goes to Hardhome and kills a White Walker? 

Thats how the book went right?

1 minute ago, aFeastForDragons said:

Did you even read ADWD/AFFC? Do you not remember how Littlefinger gets Sansa to go to Winterfell to marry Ramsey who rapes here? And how Stannis gets thousands of sellswords because none of the Northern Lords join his cause but then they all abandon him because he's a terrible leader who sleeps through anything so he has to burn his daughter for some sunshine and then gets killled by Brienne before Seylse hangs herself and afterwards Theon escapes with Sansa? Then Varys reveals his ultimate plan to back Dany because she is the only option left so he gets Tyrion to Mereen to become the assistant ruler? Then Jaime goes to Dorne to rescue Myrcella but the sand snakes poison her? And Jon goes to Hardhome and kills a White Walker? 

That's how I remember it, too.

25 minutes ago, Twenty of House Goodmen said:

In the original draft, Jaime was going to kill his way to the Iron Throne. He was originallygoing to be the main antagonist. It's clear now that Versailles was given his original role. It will happen in the books, and she will be displaced by the younger and fairer queen(Dany).

Sorry, but, just because an ass sits in a chair doesn't mean it's anywhere near the same story.

20 minutes ago, aFeastForDragons said:

Did you even read ADWD/AFFC? Do you not remember how Littlefinger gets Sansa to go to Winterfell to marry Ramsey who rapes here? And how Stannis gets thousands of sellswords because none of the Northern Lords join his cause but then they all abandon him because he's a terrible leader who sleeps through anything so he has to burn his daughter for some sunshine and then gets killled by Brienne before Seylse hangs herself and afterwards Theon escapes with Sansa? Then Varys reveals his ultimate plan to back Dany because she is the only option left so he gets Tyrion to Mereen to become the assistant ruler? Then Jaime goes to Dorne to rescue Myrcella but the sand snakes poison her? And Jon goes to Hardhome and kills a White Walker? 

JUST like the books. I'm actually sorry I watched season 6 because of all the book spoilers that have not ever been developed or hinted at in any of the printed and released work. Damn me and my tv watching eyes to all seven hells!  (HIGH level of sarcasm being used)

Archived