The Flying Leap

The servant told him "I'm sorry your Grace" just before he jumped, probably confirming him that Margaery was indeed in the Sept when it exploded.

So my guess is very simple: he was heartbroken.

And since he had always seemed weak-willed, he was just unable to cope with this last loss and just ended his life.

I agree with the fact that it was poorly done though. I mean, the actor could have cried a little at least... I can totally see all the memes people are going to come up with now.

8 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

So, why do you think Tommen did it?

For me, it was a sacrifice rather than a suicide.

Albeit, one for pure spite.

Tommen would be a slave to his mother for the rest of his life so the only way to spite her victory was to kill himself.

It wasn't an act of despair but defiance.

Both, I think.

He realised he had nothing left to live for, and that his mother was a truly evil woman, who he would have to obey if he lived on.

I interpreted it differently.

I don't think he was just heartbroken. In fact, his lack of emotion may speak to this.

What I do think is that he realized he'd be unable to face his people after what happened at the Sept. Or that he was too ashamed of what happened under his watch. I consider it a ritual suicide like in bushido.

2 hours ago, Kytheros said:

It is also remotely possible that he thought that Cersei might have been in the Sept of Baelor when it got blown up too. That certainly wouldn't've helped matters any. Unlikely, admittedly, especially with the Franken-Mountain keeping him in his rooms.

No. If the mountain was in the Red Keep, his mother was in the Red Keep. He knew exactly where his mother was. He knew that his moms did that. 

4 hours ago, Apathetic Onlooker said:

This.  I was laughing like an idiot. Seriously, the way it was filmed and acted wasn't done in a fashion that you could see any emotion or feel pity and remorse for this character. It's just:  Here's a window.  Here's the king flying out the window.  The only way they could have made it funnier is if they had him do a flip or scream "CANNONBALL!!!!!"

I don't see that at all. I think any different would have been angsty. Tommen made a choice and did it.

2 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I don't see that at all. I think any different would have been angsty. Tommen made a choice and did it.

Too angsty?  For god's sake man, this show feels like Shyamalan directed it.  Everyone is utterly deadpanned.  I think a little emotion would be nice for a change.  Or at least show him hesitating or in thought or looking at something that may have meant something to him or petting his freaking cat or... or anything. As it stands, the scene is just hilarious.   And I don't think that's what they were going for.

I was glad to see the little backstabbing traitor go for selling out his own mother like that. I just wish it had been Robert Strong who finished him off in some terrible fashion. I really thought Cersie had sent Robert to kill him for fucking her over when Robert first showed up at his door and stopped him from leaving.

7 hours ago, Net-Viper X said:

I was glad to see the little backstabbing traitor go for selling out his own mother like that. I just wish it had been Robert Strong who finished him off in some terrible fashion. I really thought Cersie had sent Robert to kill him for fucking her over when Robert first showed up at his door and stopped him from leaving.

Cersei deserves all the backstabbing as you put it. 

Clearly love. Here's a kid who's been bullied his whole life by his psychotic brother (remember the kitten incident?), ignored by his father (Robert, I mean) and neglected and chastised by his mother. Suddenly, the most beautiful woman he's ever seen is his - he's completely and head over heels in love. He'd do anything for her - even elevate the Faith in the way he did, which was at her behest. Then he sees her die in front of his eyes, and he's still only a kid.

He did it because his heart was broken. It's not complicated. I think he would have had it in him to be a good king in different circumstances (even if he would still have been the seed of the usurper and thus marked for death by the rightful laws of man)

He gave up, Cersei got her way as she always does. He's the King but what good is that when he can't do anything. He has a crown on his head but hes merely a puppet for greater powers. First the Faith has him by the neck, then he watches as his beloved Wife is killed in a fiery explosion. It was a suicide of out despair and hopelessness, not a sacrifice of any kind. 

17 hours ago, CasterlyBrick said:

He nailed the King's Landing.

lol

I found it a sad scene, and it also made me remember Jaime saying again a few episodes ago to Edmure his famous quote: "The things we do for love", said first time while throwing a kid from a window tower...

Tommen knew damn well that he could not reconcile what happened at the Sept. He would be known as the king whos mother destroyed King's Landing for her own ambition. Innocent people by the hundreds died because he allowed the High Sparrow to have reign and allowed his mother to do this. His queen is gone. Members of her family are gone. The Tyrell house was pretty much destroyed (outside Olenna) and Tommen pretty much felt responsible for all of it. Even though it was all Cersei's doing. Knowing full well he could never win the people now, and his mother is a monster, he decided to end it the only way he knew how. 

It does seem a bit comical, the scene, but once you stop and think about it, its really sad. Poor Tommen.

Archived