Star Wars Rogue One: Now With Less Rouge

Myrddin

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Considering that Leia gets the plans via a transmission, which Vader tracks, I think it is very likely that no one is making it out to physically deliver the plans.

That's what I don't get about this movie... the only logical way for this to end is something very, very dark.  And that's not necessarily what Star Wars is about.  (Episodes III and V not withstanding of course... :P )

Yeah, I don't think they all die. Some will, but I can see Jyrn rescuing her father and them both having to go to ground for their own safety afterwards, or something along those lines.

Giving it a few years and then maybe bringing them back for a post-RotJ sequel could work.

I don't understand you people who want the father character to live.  It is 1000% certain he is going to die.  He will be the reluctant scientist who feels remorse at what he's done and sacrifices himself to save some (daughter) of the others. Like I can guess at other aspects of the plot but I can say he will die with as much certainty as I can say they will get the plans to the Blockade Runner. (Even if Vader actually sends the plans just to track down higher up rebels.)

2 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Got my tickets for the first local viewing on the 15th. Can't wait for this!

I reserved my luxury lounger seats, but they're close as hell to the screen because I fell asleep and woke up an hour after they went on sale. Excited either way though.

I think there's definitely been a moderate amount of tonal shift, at least since the earliest trailers, especially with K-2SO, but while I don't mind grim stories, I think it's probably a sensible decision. Star Wars has always had a certain amount of silliness, even during its darker moments, and given the recent track record of the grim-and-gritty approach - looking at you, Batman vs Superman & F4 - it's probably the right approach.

Having said that, I think the main tonal shift though is from despair to hope, as evidenced by that awesome new quote - "Save the Rebellion! ...Save the dream!" 

Just now, ab aeterno said:

This is the story of how the Emperor's ultimate weapon was destroyed. :P

No it isn't, it's about how a group of traitors stole the plans(bad) and their gruesome,horrible deaths for doing so(good).

Please do not tack on the plans falling into the hands of a whiny emo moisture farmer and somehow blowing up such a masterpiece, that my friend is a whole other story,where sadly not enough Rebels died-unless you count the population of Alderan I suppose.

8 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Anyone watching the final trailers detecting a 'lighter tone'? I've got a little fear this is stuff they might have shoved into the movie to make it less dark, as per the rumours. The stuff with the robot.. which I like, but does seem a little out of place with the earlier trailers. I hope it all feels coherent.

Considering that they waited until well after the reshoots before releasing the first trailer, and they used footage from it, I'm going to say that you are seeing things that just are not there. I'm actually glad they reshot a lot of this movie. I've seen Gareth Edwards films, and they can be boring at times as well as beautiful. I think we are getting the best of Edwards and leaving the rest.

In other news, I got my tickets last night for the first showing at the Alamo Drafthouse on Dec. 15th. I'm almost as exited about this as I was for last year's movie (which I have now seen 43 times).

I decided I wouldn't do the midnight launch thing this year, like I did last year. That was a main sequence title and the first movie continuing the story since the 80's. So that was something special.

But then I weakened and booked for the midnight screening, anyway. :)

(Will do "gold class" a week or so later with family when I'm visiting them for the holidays. Most likely including my 7 year old niece, who desperately wants to watch it. So hopefully it's not going to be too dark)

12 hours ago, Astromech said:

I'll be taking in an afternoon matinee before the kiddies are on Winter Break. I hate crowded theatres.

Usually I agree - I'd rather be in a deserted cinema, but for films like Star Wars and some of the new Marvel releases, I actually really like the midnight showings - you tend to get the most committed fans, so everyone behaves well, doesn't talk/use phones during the movie, and get all the references, so you get a great atmosphere. In my experience, at least.

So, as you guys know, I brag about having the very best theatre chain in the world right down the street from my house. It is called The Alamo Drafthouse, and if you talk or text while seeing a movie there, they throw you out. It also has a bad ass menu with incredibly tasty food and reclining seats. I have my tickets here for 7pm on Thursday night. The midnight releases have been pushed back to 7p and 10 p showings here as well in my area.

They also have started another tradition that I will be participating in. For Star Wars releases, they are opening up the theatre early in the morning as well. Showtimes start around 8am and they serve a full Brunch menu. I will not only be going to the 7pm on Thursday, but I also bought tickets to the early show on Friday morning. Star Wars and eggs will be an annual thing for me as long as they keep this going. 

I will just add that it's midnight Thursday morning (Wednesday evening) for me. Aussie time - so somewhere around 9 am Wednesday US time.

Just sayin'. :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist. And honestly - as I said, I hadn't really intended to do the midnight screening this time. I'm really looking forward to the movie - but my excitement level pales into insignificance compared to this time last year with Episode 7. I remember while sitting at work on the day leading up to that midnight release, I just kept breaking out into a huge dumb grin at the thought I was going to see a new Star Wars movie that evening) :) 

Archived