Football: Sheikh your Money Maker

Nas!

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

If we're going to insist on continuing this absurd direct comparison of Pogba and Rooney

Yeah, this whole 'Pogba/ Rooney' comparison is very odd. Tbh, Rooney should have been shipped out when Van Persie was sold to Galatasaray. 

Two for Sturridge now, but he has also missed another three.  I like this chance for him to play his way back into some form.  On one hand, it's harder for him receiving passes from the second XI and Origi was pretty rusty, one the other hand it's easier for him to play against second XI opposition.

8 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Is he still not match fit? Can't imagine him just getting dropped.

He's never going to regain match fitness if he doesn't get any game time. He recovered from that injury so I was very surprised that he was not given any match time against Fenerbahce - heck, he didn't even make the bench.

There was an interesting article on the Independent website about Mkhitaryan today. It was based on sources from within the club and reads like someone trying to avoid responsibility for the signing. It stresses that many of LVG's backroom team were against the signing (so probably from one of them if any are still at the club) but Mourinho wanted his signing, and suggests he is not suited to the intensity of English football (which is rubbish since he came from the Bundesliga). It doesn't look great for his future if the blame game has already begun.

It does look like Mkhitaryan is getting torpedoed by his own club.  I cannot believe a player of his quality can be cast aside so early.  I'm not a fan of his attitude, especially after his digs against Klopp last season, but he clearly can play in a high tempo team.

Lucas has progressed from conceding dangerous free kicks to conceding penalties.  Just what we needed.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Should also be remembered that he's been on the fade for much longer than three years. That's the time when he's been consistently shite, but it's not as if that form came as a shock result of Fergie's leaving- the last time he was consistently really good was when Ronaldo was there, maybe the season after he left. It's been a long time coming.

It's true, I was being cautious when I said he's been very poor for 3 seasons now. The rot set in well before that, but then he changed it up with good periods. The last time I recall him being the player we thought he'd be was in the season after Ronaldo left.

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

11 changes for Liverpool and 10 for Spurs in their LC cup game tonight.  I think it's fun for both supporters to see the back-ups get some play time.  I hope Ings gets some time from the bench too.

It turned out to be a great game. Liverpool did well. I was impressed by Origi and his skill, he has yet to show he is a finisher but he can certainly play ball. Sturridge was wasteful and dangerous at the same time. For Liverpool it is good to see that they have two strikers of this quality to come in for one of the starting trio of Mane/Firmino/Countinho, which Klopp is unlikely to change, and nor should he. I do wonder how long he can keep up the "no striker" theme though.

On another note, Klopp and Liverpool seems like a great match. Seeing him at Anfield tonight you see a manager in his element. 

26 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

It turned out to be a great game. Liverpool did well. I was impressed by Origi and his skill, he has yet to show he is a finisher but he can certainly play ball. Sturridge was wasteful and dangerous at the same time. For Liverpool it is good to see that they have two strikers of this quality to come in for one of the starting trio of Mane/Firmino/Countinho, which Klopp is unlikely to change, and nor should he. I do wonder how long he can keep up the "no striker" theme though.

On another note, Klopp and Liverpool seems like a great match. Seeing him at Anfield tonight you see a manager in his element. 

We'll lose Mane to the ANC for a month or more in January-February, so we need Sturridge/Origi/Ings ready to slot into the team.  I'd really love to see Sturridge learn to play with others like the current front three.  He's such a talented player and such a good guy.  He just needs to get out of his own head and absorb what's happening around him -- both in day-to-day training and in the games.

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

the gap between the PL and EFL is absolutely laughable, but enjoying the shit out of it.  49,000 for a Tuesday home game in the shitty league cup against Preston, I genuinely think geordies are mentally irregular. 

Maybe that's the reason why Mitrović seems to fit right in. :lol: 

Mkhitaryan not in the squad again. Doesn't bode well for him and should he miss out against Burnley then it would seem that his United career is over before it even started. Feel sorry for him as I think that Mourinho has treated him very harshly. Looks like he made a huge mistake joining us - if he wanted to leave Dortmund he should've gone to a club with a manager who is not more concerned with defending and spoiler tactics. Such a waste of a talented player.

Blind and Rojo at CB - should be fun if you're a City supporter.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Mkhitaryan not in the squad again. Doesn't bode well for him and should he miss out against Burnley then it would seem that his United career is over before it even started. Feel sorry for him as I think that Mourinho has treated him very harshly. Looks like he made a huge mistake joining us - if he wanted to leave Dortmund he should've gone to a club with a manager who is not more concerned with defending and spoiler tactics. Such a waste of a talented player.

Blind and Rojo at CB - should be fun if you're a City supporter.

I do feel sorry for him a bit, but at the same time the rumours and what evidence we have all seem to point to him essentially not being able to handle having to compete for his spot. We're already dealing with one gutless wonder in Mata (although weirdly he's perked up a bit under Jose, I still don't trust him), we don't need two. It would be nice to see Mikhi given some time- surely the League Cup would be a good spot for it, even against City- but if the word that he cried and demanded to leave after being subbed against them last time is even close to true you gotta wonder if it's worth investing the time. At least Memphis is willing to fight it out.

Was a total waste of money though.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I do feel sorry for him a bit, but at the same time the rumours and what evidence we have all seem to point to him essentially not being able to handle having to compete for his spot. We're already dealing with one gutless wonder in Mata (although weirdly he's perked up a bit under Jose, I still don't trust him), we don't need two. It would be nice to see Mikhi given some time- surely the League Cup would be a good spot for it, even against City- but if the word that he cried and demanded to leave after being subbed against them last time is even close to true you gotta wonder if it's worth investing the time. At least Memphis is willing to fight it out.

Was a total waste of money though.

Is he even being given a fair chance to fight his place though? Granted, he picked up an injury but he was declared fit and returned to full training before the Liverpool game yet he has not had a look in. He should have at least played against Fenerbahce. If he doesn't get game time against Burnley then I'd say he will be off in January.

Archived