Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

7 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Had never even heard of Black Mirror before this week. That second episode was just dreadful and I didn't even make it halfway through it.

3%, I can't do the subtitles, its just an issue I have.

Both BM and 3% lasted only 1 season, how good could they really be? (that should stir the pot)

Longmire is the one I could see myself going back to. Heard a lot of good things about it. Not sure why but for some reason 1/2 way into second episode I just turned it off.

Huh? 3% only had its first season premiere late last year and has recently been renewed for a second. Black Mirror released an excellent 6-episode third season last year (this is a show that really doesnt demand chronological viewing btw, its a collection of unconnected stories, save for easter eggs). Neither has laster just 1 season. 

I liked Taboo. Returning to weekly viewing after so much Netflix is weird though

7 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Huh? 3% only had its first season premiere late last year and has recently been renewed for a second. Black Mirror released an excellent 6-episode third season last year (this is a show that really doesnt demand chronological viewing btw, its a collection of unconnected stories, save for easter eggs). Neither has laster just 1 season. 

I liked Taboo. Returning to weekly viewing after so much Netflix is weird though

When I pulled it on Netflix Black Mirror only listed 11 episodes I believe? I assumed it was one season? Same with 3%. I was looking at a LOT of shows, looking at how many episodes there were and what year they came out in. I made this mistake with Sense8 sort of. Was one season but had a "Christmas special" that was released later, hard to tell on Netflix sometimes.  Keep in mind, I made no investment in either show so anything current or detailed on them I wouldn't really know. (also I made the comment just to mess with fans, hence the note after)

Binge - Weekly, I can't decide which I like more. I like the immediate part of binge, but also like looking forward to weekly shows. 

I loved the second episode of Black Mirror (15 Million Merits). It actually convinced me to keep going with the show after the first episode (The National Anthem), which I didn't care for at all. It's the worst episode, imo (that or The Waldo Moment).  I'd recommend trying some of the other episodes, mainly: San Junipero, White Bear, and The Entire History of You. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Had never even heard of Black Mirror before this week. That second episode was just dreadful and I didn't even make it halfway through it.

3%, I can't do the subtitles, its just an issue I have.

Both BM and 3% lasted only 1 season, how good could they really be? (that should stir the pot)

Longmire is the one I could see myself going back to. Heard a lot of good things about it. Not sure why but for some reason 1/2 way into second episode I just turned it off.

Lol, saying they only lasted 1 season is like saying Atlanta has only lasted one season.  It's the first season of 3%.  Often there is a period of time between first season and release of second season. 

BM has had three seasons and a christmas special, iirc.  They are short seasons.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Lol, saying they only lasted 1 season is like saying Atlanta has only lasted one season.  It's the first season of 3%.  Often there is a period of time between first season and release of second season. 

BM has had three seasons and a christmas special, iirc.  They are short seasons.

That explains it, when I saw the amount of episodes I "assumed" it was only 1 season. As to the other part, when I saw it on Netflix it shows the year it first came out, so 2011 may have been what I saw, so 2011 and 13 episodes in my mind translated to 1 season released 6 years ago. I guess that's why the whole assume thing exists!

As to the Atlanta comparison, not entirely fair. Atlanta just came out and is highly acclaimed, all over tv, social media, and award show. I had never heard of BM, it started 6 years ago and in that 6 years has only had 13 episodes total, not exactly a household / mainstream show.

13 minutes ago, dbunting said:

That explains it, when I saw the amount of episodes I "assumed" it was only 1 season. As to the other part, when I saw it on Netflix it shows the year it first came out, so 2011 may have been what I saw, so 2011 and 13 episodes in my mind translated to 1 season released 6 years ago. I guess that's why the whole assume thing exists!

As to the Atlanta comparison, not entirely fair. Atlanta just came out and is highly acclaimed, all over tv, social media, and award show. I had never heard of BM, it started 6 years ago and in that 6 years has only had 13 episodes total, not exactly a household / mainstream show.

I was using the Atlanta comparison because it's a show in it's freshman season that's just been renewed.  Sort of like, ya know, 3%.  You can insert any first season show you want, it's still the same point.  Like Atlanta (or whatever show you pick to make this work for your brain), 3% doesn't just have one season.  Like Atlanta (or whatever show your brain needs to understand this), it's only in the first season.  

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I was using the Atlanta comparison because it's a show in it's freshman season that's just been renewed.  Sort of like, ya know, 3%.  You can insert any first season show you want, it's still the same point.  Like Atlanta (or whatever show you pick to make this work for your brain), 3% doesn't just have one season.  Like Atlanta (or whatever show your brain needs to understand this), it's only in the first season.  

Ok, that makes sense. My issue with 3% wasn't content, was the subtitles. Personally I don't like them, it takes away from my enjoyment. When I watch a show/movie I am constantly looking in the background. I see what books are on the shelves, what is playing on the tv etc. So when I have to split my time between the actors and reading the subtitles, and tuning out the language I don't understand, it loses the entertainment factor for me.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Started watching The Leftovers the other day.  I'm only about four episodes in but this show is difficult.  I can't really figure out what the point of it is.  Half the time it doesn't even feel like there is a coherent plot.  

I think I quit after about 4 episodes in. It just didn't grab me at all.

I've watched 2 episodes of The Night Manager. It is entertaining enough but the 2nd episode did have some eye rolling moments.

Just watched The Visit. Not bad at all. I feel like M. Night Shyamalan has had about half a dozen flops in a row, but I thought this was more in line with some of the quality movies he used to make (Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs). It was both creepy af and funny. The child actors were solid too.

Started watching The Leftovers the other day.  I'm only about four episodes in but this show is difficult.  I can't really figure out what the point of it is.  Half the time it doesn't even feel like there is a coherent plot.  

You should try to make it through. Season was a real slog for me as well. I was alternately bored and enraged with it. However, season 2 is some of the best tv I've ever seen. 

We've just finished the Crown, and now we're watching a Series of Unfortunate Events....  on deck is Sneaky Pete

Monday.... Shadowhunters

Tuesdays, .... Taboo, Agent's of Shield, and Shooter

Wednesdays... Vikings, and Incorporated

Thursday... Colony

Friday.... Sleepy Hollow

.... and this Sunday starts The Young Pope, Homeland, and Victoria.... and all of the CW/DC/Arrowverse shows re starting soon as well 

Did Anyone check out the Dreamworks Animation show Trollhunters by Guilermo del Toro? It was fantastic. It released on Netflix over the holidays. It is a kids show, but the characters are surprisingly deep, and the fantasy world is extremely well developed. It felt like a present...

I've been watching The OA during my morning workouts the past two days.  It's okay, but the second episode didn't really live up to the promise of the first for me, although I'm still not done with episode two.  Should finish two and three tomorrow.

On 1/11/2017 at 11:17 PM, Dr. Pepper said:
On 1/11/2017 at 9:41 PM, Martell Spy said:

I greatly enjoyed the second ep. of Sherlock season 4, although I think some disagree. Might want to give it another shot. I agree though ep 1 was one of the worst of the entire run, possibly the worst.

Yeah, I remember loving that show and craving new episodes.  It's so bad now that I doubt I'll watch the second episode of this season.  Such a bummer.  

I used to to really look forward to it too, and now I just don't care.  Even with episode being a massive upgrade over episode one, I have zero desire to watch it.  Plus, I have way too much other stuff that I still haven't gotten around to watching - Quarry, Outcasts, The Girlfriend Experience, and Travelers to name a few.

It's just a shame to see a show fall so far, but it's not like it's alone in that regard - House of Cards and Vikings have fallen at least as much.

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I've been watching The OA during my morning workouts the past two days.  It's okay, but the second episode didn't really live up to the promise of the first for me, although I'm still not done with episode two.  Should finish two and three tomorrow.

I used to to really look forward to it too, and now I just don't care.  Even with episode being a massive upgrade over episode one, I have zero desire to watch it.  Plus, I have way too much other stuff that I still haven't gotten around to watching - Quarry, Outcasts, The Girlfriend Experience, and Travelers to name a few.

It's just a shame to see a show fall so far, but it's not like it's alone in that regard - House of Cards and Vikings have fallen at least as much.

I really liked the OA. One thing that is a bit iffy is the pacing though. Quite often the episode will be slow paced until the last 10 minutes or so (hmm, its like a Robin Hobb book!) The ending is also something that will potentially make you hate it. But its divisive (i liked it personally).

Also, longest wait for title credits, EVER! :lol: 

I really liked the OA. One thing that is a bit iffy is the pacing though. Quite often the episode will be slow paced until the last 10 minutes or so (hmm, its like a Robin Hobb book!) The ending is also something that will potentially make you hate it. But its divisive (i liked it personally).

Yeah, I didn't like the finale, but I still loved the show. Really on a first season the early episodes are more important to me because I can be impatient and just not watch a show if it doesn't hook me. Disappointing finales are pretty common actually, even on very good shows and very good seasons. Now I could start hating the OA on season 2, depending what direction it takes. It's a very daring and experimental show.

Been doing a Colony season 1 binge on Netflix. I always meant to watch this show and never got around to it. I saw the commercials for the season 2 though and was blown away. Was forced at gunpoint basically to start watching. I'm 2 and a half eps in. No character has really hooked me yet, however the show has. The setting is great. And the writers seems creative. They've kept me interested, even though I was worried the show wouldn't stick.

Watching Emerald City. This is kind of a slog. I may stop soon. I wanted this to work because I like fantasy, but it doesn't appear to. Some good visuals, but a lot of boredom to put up with. It'd probably be a better show if it just focused on the Wizard, played by none other than Kingpin from Daredevil. 

Watching Taboo. Fantastic show. This is the one I look forward to most every week right now.

Also in my weekly lineup, Sherlock, Vikings, Incorporated.

Aboout to start Homeland season 5. Also going to try Victoria. 

Dropped Agents of Shield and the Arrowverse for now. Just not enough time. I heard Arrow was better season 5, so I want to get to it, but it'd require catching up on both Flash and Legends. I barely finished Arrow 4. That was terrible. I was stuck on Arrow more than most, but that ending was just batshit insane. Agents season wasn't working for me, but I do want to get back to it because it is the MCU and previous seasons have been great.

I saw in the line of fire yesterday. It was one of those films that were always on when I was younger, but I somehow never caught most of it. I thought it was a pretty decent flick all things considered, not one for the ages, but better than you'd expect. Mostly due to the performance of Eastwood and Malkovich :)

On a friend's rec I have spent the day watching the Lemony Snicket Netflix series. Initially I thought, well why bother watching it as I've already seen the film, but I don't feel well and I'm on the sofa under a blanket and it's really quite comforting. It's also made me laugh quite a lot for something so bleak.

Archived