Watch, Watched, Watching: There are 17,000 new TV shows to watch and I have the weekend

Howdyphillip

I did watch M.Night Shamalangadingdongs new movie Split last night. Theatre was totall packed which surprised me as I didn't think anyone had even heard of it. But its one of those type of movies that a certain type of person would be attracted to! :)

It was actually well done for at least an hour, McAvoy was great fun watching him jumping in and out of roles and personalities. I've always found him very watchable, and he seemed to really enjoy it. Possibly he went over the top a little and his performances were quite panto, but it fit the tone of the movie. 

Except of course that the tone of the movie veered off into insane territory towards the end, doing things that made little to no sense and spoiled what could have been a pretty good movie and return to form.

I'm convinced the director now has no idea what he is doing, and is possibly writing at the mental level of a 16 year old boy.

8 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I did watch M.Night Shamalangadingdongs new movie Split last night. Theatre was totall packed which surprised me as I didn't think anyone had even heard of it. But its one of those type of movies that a certain type of person would be attracted to! :)

It was actually well done for at least an hour, McAvoy was great fun watching him jumping in and out of roles and personalities. I've always found him very watchable, and he seemed to really enjoy it. Possibly he went over the top a little and his performances were quite panto, but it fit the tone of the movie. 

Except of course that the tone of the movie veered off into insane territory towards the end, doing things that made little to no sense and spoiled what could have been a pretty good movie and return to form.

I'm convinced the director now has no idea what he is doing, and is possibly writing at the mental level of a 16 year old boy.

I'm not a big fan of horror movies so I read the plot and the end twist. That twist actually made me want to watch the movie but I don't think I will  (haven't even seen Star Wars yet).

22 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Work was really slow today, so I finally got around to watching Dirk Gently.  I made it through 3.5 episodes, and it's really, really good.  So much better than that version a few years back.  I don't know which is more true to the source material, but this one is definitely better. 

Having quite finished the series yet the main connection between the plot of the series and the plot of the books are that there's a character called Dirk Gently and his general philosophy of holistic detection. Other than that the other characters all seem to be new and the general plotline is mostly different (a couple of similar elements), although there are occasional Easter eggs such as Dirk mentioning something about meeting Thor, who played a significant role in The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. Despite the lack of plot similarity, I think Adams would probably have approved of the general tone of the show.

I watched Brooklyn last night as I had an unexpected free evening at home. I am glad I didn't bother wasting money on it at the cinema. It was perfectly fine with a nice performance from the lead. But it didn't blow me away. I don't know what else to say about it really, apart from 'it was nice enough'. I did enjoy the costumes and make up though.

I went to see La La Land today. It was okay I guess. Over the past two weaks, I had lowered my expectations after reading a couple of reviews, but I was still underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not a bad film, but I was expecting the film to have a much greater impact on me. The story failed to establish an emotional connection with me, which made the experience quite shallow. 

The best thing about it was the instrumental music. At times I wondered whether it really counted as freeform jazz (but I'm not very knowledgeable on that front), but at least it was great to hear. The movie was also technically very impressive, although some of the quick trucking shots (or pans, I wasn't sure I have to admit) gave me a little headache. I also though the ending was pretty great, but it did have some uncomforable echos of John Cairney's films (and Cairney did it better).   

As for criticisms, the most obvious one is that the songs didn't really do it for me. I disliked the showy opening on the bridge and I didn't really care about any of them really. In fact, I have a hard time even remembering a snippet of the songs and that doesn't bode well for the staying power of this film. I often found the songs distracting from the actual story, which I was sort of interested in (I don't think Gosling and Stone had amazing chemistry, but I disagree with people who say they have none). The whole story was also quite shallow and as I feared it was a typical 'LA is so great, don't you just love Hollywood' kind of film. I read this interesting article in the New Yorker were the critic pointed out that neither Stone nor Gosling seem to have much of a life going on or at least the film doesn't seem to care about their life aside from bringing them from point A to point B. It's a fascinating read, eventhough I failed to do justice to the argument of the article here. 

I saw Silence tonight. It's pretty great. Not one of my favorite Scorsese films by any means, but it's fantastically made. Really good looking film so props to Rodrigo Prieto (who's supposed to be doing The Irishman as well). Can't say enough about how good Andrew Garfield was (he was totally robbed not being nominated for an Oscar). Along with Hacksaw Ridge I'm now completely sold on him being one of the best young actors working right now. Not much patented Scorsese camera work that I can recall, but it still had his feel all over it. I've enjoyed all his religious films (Last Temptation of Christ, Kundun), despite not being religious or even spiritual myself, and this one's no different. My only complaint is its probably about 15-20 minutes too long, although the pacing was fine and I was never really bored with it. It's definitely not a film I'd probably ever watch again, but that's not a knock on it's quality. It's just really heavy stuff. Kind of how I feel about something like 12 Years a Slave, as a recent example of a really good film I don't think I could watch again.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I saw Silence tonight. It's pretty great. Not one of my favorite Scorsese films by any means, but it's fantastically made. Really good looking film so props to Rodrigo Prieto (who's supposed to be doing The Irishman as well). Can't say enough about how good Andrew Garfield was (he was totally robbed not being nominated for an Oscar). Along with Hacksaw Ridge I'm now completely sold on him being one of the best young actors working right now. Not much patented Scorsese camera work that I can recall, but it still had his feel all over it. I've enjoyed all his religious films (Last Temptation of Christ, Kundun), despite not being religious or even spiritual myself, and this one's no different. My only complaint is its probably about 15-20 minutes too long, although the pacing was fine and I was never really bored with it. It's definitely not a film I'd probably ever watch again, but that's not a knock on it's quality. It's just really heavy stuff. Kind of how I feel about something like 12 Years a Slave, as a recent example of a really good film I don't think I could watch again.

I liked Silence a lot, I agree it was definitely overlong however. It had the most walk outs of any movie I've ever been in. I was pretty much the only person left by the end. I'm not sure what movie people were expecting however. 

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Not much patented Scorsese camera work that I can recall, but it still had his feel all over it.. My only complaint is its probably about 15-20 minutes too long, although the pacing was fine and I was never really bored with it. It's definitely not a film I'd probably ever watch again.

I thought the scene where the Japanese prisoner is beheaded while Rodriguez watched from his cell was some "patented Scorsese camera work" one of the best scenes along with Kichijiro's first confession. Agree about the last fifteen. After Rodriguez apostasizes is definitely the weakest stretch of the movie.  

Completely agree about Garfield. Only knock you can have on him was the accent and I didn't have any issues with it. Its heavy like you said but I could see myself watching it again down the line. The more I think about it the movie the more I like it. 

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Just watched a great documentary on Netflix called Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead. It's about the founding and history of National Lampoon. I highly recommend it. 

I'll second that documentary. It's amazing how much irreverence that magazine was able to get away with at that time. I found myself laughing throughout that documentary.

Saw three films this week: The Founder, Hidden Figures, and Calvary.

Calvary was probably my favorite over all. Some great performances and suspense.

Hidden Figures was a by the numbers Oscar bait type film, but I'm a sucker for NASA history. The three women showcased were all interesting and the performances were all well done.

The Founder was a disappointment. It suffers from some really bad editing and direction. A guy two rows in front of me fell asleep and snored through a good 20-30 minutes. Performances were good enough but Keaton's Ray Kroc is kind of all over the place as far as motive. I guess the film is saying "persistence" is key to success but then he totally abandons his wife and business partners. I don't know--it just wasn't a satisfying protagonist--that's more writing and editing than acting though. However, I had zero knowledge of the history of the McDonald's empire, so I found that aspect of the film really interesting. 

19 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

With The Founder I just didn't like the reverence and idolatry extended towards the fucking McDonalds dude. Yeh, he made a gazillion dollars or whatever but it's fucking McDonalds.

Well,I feel like that is kind of a silly complaint since it's the premise of the entire film. However, also to your point: Murica. It's what we're about here--bidness and dollaz. We're interested in how people become successful and revolutionize industries--and Kroc did so with fast food and restaurants the way Jobs did it with computing. An interesting similarity between Jobs and Kroc is how they both were "big idea" guys who really built their empires on the innovations of others. It's why the film is titled STEVE JOBS and not "STEVE WOZNIAK." It's why THE FOUNDER is Kroc and not the McDonald brothers. 

On 1/26/2017 at 7:52 PM, Veltigar said:

I went to see La La Land today. It was okay I guess.

I will just say that if Academy goes lala for "La La Land" and they so blatantly ignored "Carol" last year, I will lose all my faith in awards season :D

Just now, Risto said:

I will just say that if Academy goes lala for "La La Land" and they so blatantly ignored "Carol" last year, I will lose all my faith in awards season :D

It's Carol's own fault :P it failed to tell us how awesome Hollywood and creative people are every five minutes :P [aka I lost faith years ago]

Just now, Veltigar said:

It's Carol's own fault :P it failed to tell us how awesome Hollywood and creative people are every five minutes :P [aka I lost faith years ago]

Nah, as long as they continue to nominate Cate Blanchett and admire her as the living acting deity among us, mortals, I am fine :D

That said, I am still not over Paltrow incident in 1999.

Also, this year, we will have to pretend that Meryl Streep didn't get her nomination for that wonderful performance speech at the Globes. Some will even have to pretend to have seen and even liked that atrocity of the movie.

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Well,I feel like that is kind of a silly complaint since it's the premise of the entire film. However, also to your point: Murica. It's what we're about here--bidness and dollaz. We're interested in how people become successful and revolutionize industries--and Kroc did so with fast food and restaurants the way Jobs did it with computing. An interesting similarity between Jobs and Kroc is how they both were "big idea" guys who really built their empires on the innovations of others. It's why the film is titled STEVE JOBS and not "STEVE WOZNIAK." It's why THE FOUNDER is Kroc and not the McDonald brothers. 

All the Steve Jobs movies suck too though. Those are stories best told through documentary imo.

I mean a plot point where the superhero sees how to sell a bunch of burgers at once instead of one at a time just isn't captivating cinema to me.

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

All the Steve Jobs movies suck too though. Those are stories best told through documentary imo.

I mean a plot point where the superhero sees how to sell a bunch of burgers at once instead of one at a time just isn't captivating cinema to me.

Ah, fair play then if ye hated the Sorkin/Boyle Steve Jobs movie, too. I enjoyed that film quite a bit even though I wasn't blown away by Fassbender's performance. I agree the documentary treatment would've served The Founder better. In fact, I watched an old MSNBC special about McDonald's on youtube the other day and enjoyed it as much as the film. 

15 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Ah, fair play then if ye hated the Sorkin/Boyle Steve Jobs movie, too. I enjoyed that film quite a bit even though I wasn't blown away by Fassbender's performance. I agree the documentary treatment would've served The Founder better. In fact, I watched an old MSNBC special about McDonald's on youtube the other day and enjoyed it as much as the film. 

I'd still give Jobs movies and The Facebook guy movie a pass over the McDonalds guy because what they built is still relatively new on the scene so it's at least somewhat current culturally relevant. 

As you hinted to, over the course of my entire life I've seen scores of documentaries and NatGeo type shows that chronicle the McDonalds empire in a much better way than a movie can.

I did watch Social Network recently, i liked it when it was released but I think the only thing that still holds it up today are the pretty good acting performances 

Archived