l2 0 5 5

I lost my cat....inside the apartment

89 posts in this topic

Is there any way that the cat can get outside? Or is he just meandering around in the walls? Can you talk to your neighbors to make sure he's not stuck somewhere in their apartment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Is there any way that the cat can get outside? Or is he just meandering around in the walls? Can you talk to your neighbors to make sure he's not stuck somewhere in their apartment?

I don't see any way he can get outside. One door at front of apartment and one in the back. No holes or cracks around the area and I made very sure that I closed the door right behind me when using it with him possibly around. I told all my neighbors (only 6 total units) and they are on look out. The one below me said he hasn't heard anything in the ceiling.

We got a woods camera from a family member and have it up in the kitchen. It will take a picture without flash if anything comes within 20 feet of it. I have it pointed towards the hole he used. If he is still around here, it may just take him time to get used to the place. If he's gone, well he's a stray so most likely he won't come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, poor little dude :( I hope you find him soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hope you find him soon :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We trapped a feral kitten a few years ago, she was very, very tiny and would hide under what appeared to be too small spaces under furniture for even a kitten to get to, we had to put rolled up towels everywhere on the bottoms and backs of book shelves, dressers, etc.  to prevent her from getting lost.  Then, we once we found we couldn't adopt her out, we let her out of to the rest of the house where she promptly got lost again scrunched behind a radiator.  I also had a cat climb up into a hole in the basement ceiling once.

As long as the kitten can't go somewhere else on the other end of the hole, it will eventually come out for food and water.  And will become more accustomed to his surroundings.  I would advise that you do as much of letting the cat come to you once you find him again as you can.  Our kitten reacted to only 2 things:  food, and yes, she would come out of hiding for other cats once we let our best behaved cat in, who later became her BFF.  The flour was a brilliant idea.   

Also....if there is anywhere else that is hidable in the kitchen, like a corner under a table, somewhere the cat would feel secure and hidden, you might put a cat bed there.  I also wouldn't vacuum until you find the cat.

Edited by Cas Stark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

We trapped a feral kitten a few years ago, she was very, very tiny and would hide under what appeared to be too small spaces under furniture for even a kitten to get to, we had to put rolled up towels everywhere on the bottoms and backs of book shelves, dressers, etc.  to prevent her from getting lost.  Then, we once we found we couldn't adopt her out, we let her out of to the rest of the house where she promptly got lost again scrunched behind a radiator.  I also had a cat climb up into a hole in the basement ceiling once.

As long as the kitten can't go somewhere else on the other end of the hole, it will eventually come out for food and water.  And will become more accustomed to his surroundings.  I would advise that you do as much of letting the cat come to you once you find him again as you can.  Our kitten reacted to only 2 things:  food, and yes, she would come out of hiding for other cats once we let our best behaved cat in, who later became her BFF.  The flour was a brilliant idea.   

Also....if there is anywhere else that is hidable in the kitchen, like a corner under a table, somewhere the cat would feel secure and hidden, you might put a cat bed there.  I also wouldn't vacuum until you find the cat.

Good point about that vacuum. That would just freak him out even more.

Some positive news... I did hear him meow 3-4 times last night. Only peep I've heard out of him since he went missing. Had the tv on and heard it. I muted it and then heard him again a couple times down the hallway. Never heard a cat meow up here in my 7 months of being here, and sounded like he was in the unit so safe to say it was him. DIdn't sound distressed or anything, just a normal meow. 

Hopefully he's coming around. Thanks for the thoughts and advice, everyone. 

 

ETA:

I posted these thoughts about him last night in the Sopranos thread in entertainment.... needless to say it was brought to my attention that I was in the wrong part of town... :o

Edited by l2 0 5 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant - least you know he is definitely there and safe - hopefully you find him soon and he can get properly acquainted with you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next time you hear him meowing you should call out to him.  Does he have a name?  Calling him in a soothing calm voice might help him feel comfortable to come out from his hiding spot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

 

Some positive news... I did hear him meow 3-4 times last night. Only peep I've heard out of him since he went missing. Had the tv on and heard it. I muted it and then heard him again a couple times down the hallway. Never heard a cat meow up here in my 7 months of being here, and sounded like he was in the unit so safe to say it was him. DIdn't sound distressed or anything, just a normal meow.

Did you talk back to him and trace the sound to see if he was still in the same hiding spot?  Any evidence of him getting food and water?

I once had a foster kitten who was hiding from me for a week but he definitely came out to eat while I was asleep/out so I didn't worry too much.  If you can't be sure he is eating and drinking you need to decide when to apply more aggressive tactics to get him in the open.

Kitty-proof a small room and supply it so that it is ready when you can get ahold of him.  Get him into that space and leave him alone.  Come visit every couple of hours, keep your distance, talk to him.  Then make contact and back off, etc.

If I am counting correctly this is day 6.  He's had time.  I think you should take steps to end his exile. 

Good luck.  Please keep us updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

One concern; although a brilliant idea, the flour might be problematic. A cat will smell it (unlike a human) and a starving cat might well eat it. Cats don't produce amylase, so if it does indeed consume it, it won't be able to digest it, and uncooked flour does contain potentially harmful bacteria. Not sure how dire the consequences might be...might be next to nothing, many posters here would know a lot more than I do...but I'd look into it. 

 

 

Edited by James Arryn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think if there is food and water right outside of the hole in the wall that the cat would eat that food, and not the flour.  It's true ferals will eat all kinds of crazy stuff, but when good cat food is right in front of them, I somewhat doubt the cat would lick the flour off the floor or get that much on his paws as to be a problem?

My guess is though that you aren't going to be able to put him in a room for quite some time, as if he's hiding in the walls there will be no way to pick him up.  I've had a former feral for 3 years.  THREE YEARS!!  Who follows me around the house, sits next to me on the couch, sleeps on my bed but can only be picked up for about 10 seconds at a time.  LOL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I did talk back to him but it was just the couple meows and it stopped. His name is Renly (The shelter had him named "Boss" so I've been saying both names). I was walking around the apartment before he started so he definitely knew I was there. And yes there is food and water outside the hole, as well as a couple other rooms in the unit. Regular cat food, wet food, treats, cat nip, and even cooked some shrimp and chicken.  

I also took the flour off the floor as JA suggested. Never saw any prints in it and didn't want it to throw him off and keep him away. I thought I heard him meow a couple nights ago and it was around the same time as last night; roughly 9 pm eastern time. The camera didn't pick up anything either, which was also positioned outside the hole, along with food/water. The first sign of his presence was the tape on the hole that was pushed outward and some of his fur was attached to it. I'm thinking he may have left that spot for good and never went back to it. That just means he is somewhere else in the unit. I'm not sure if he just settles during the day and gets active at night or what...

Edited by l2 0 5 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try Meowing back?  I dunno if it will work but it might encourage him to make more sounds.

 

I would wait and listen in tonight till its about 9pm again.  and see if he meows on his own first.   then slowly and quietly, no sudden movements  walk though the apartment and try to locate the room the meows are coming from.  I would try to keep your distance as so not to freak him, but if you work out the approx area, you can then set food and water there, with your camera ect.

 

I guess you could also try something like Feliway.     

also make sure you have several hiding places (you want the cat in) dotted around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

The first sign of his presence was the tape on the hole that was pushed outward and some of his fur was attached to it. I'm thinking he may have left that spot for good and never went back to it.

Yeah, if my hiding place was blocked up with me inside, I'd definitely find somewhere different to hide once I got out! If he could be somewhere different, he probably is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2017 at 8:11 AM, Tywin et al. said:

I had something similar happen with a ball python. The sucker was on the loose for nearly half a year in my parents' house before we found it. 

They are lucky they found it! Pythons have been known to escape, breed, and consume all small mammals in the area, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burmese_pythons_in_Florida

Quote

Severe declines in mammalian populations across the Everglades have been tied to the proliferation of pythons.[2][23] Comparisons of road surveys conducted in 1996-1997 (prior to proliferation) and 2003-2011 (after proliferation) indicated declines from 88% to 100% in the frequency of raccoon, opossum, bobcat, rabbit, fox, and other mammalian species sightings.[2] These declines were concordant with the spatial geography of python spread.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight was the most promising night yet. He came out in the kitchen and meowed away for a solid 20 minutes. I could hear him knocking stuff around too. His stuffed dinosaur and catnip mouse got batted across the room. He was chirping away. No sight of him as I was in the living room on opposite end of the kitchen. Plenty of food and water left out. hard to say if he nibbled at it or not, but if he didn't then I guess he didn't need it. I called softly to him and he chirped back. He went back to his secret spot, but I feel better knowing that he's in good spirits. He's just making me work for his friendship. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yay! I'm so glad to hear this :) Just keep being awesome, Renly will come around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Tonight was the most promising night yet. He came out in the kitchen and meowed away for a solid 20 minutes. I could hear him knocking stuff around too. His stuffed dinosaur and catnip mouse got batted across the room. He was chirping away. No sight of him as I was in the living room on opposite end of the kitchen. Plenty of food and water left out. hard to say if he nibbled at it or not, but if he didn't then I guess he didn't need it. I called softly to him and he chirped back. He went back to his secret spot, but I feel better knowing that he's in good spirits. He's just making me work for his friendship. :D

Great! I think you're absolutely right to stay passive, too. Keep the food and water going, but let him come to you, good call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for the advice, well-wishes, and caring. Much appreciated! :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.