if we were all that remained of society, could we survive.

BigFatCoward

The annoying thing (well, one of the annoying things) about The Stand is how ludicrously American-centric the story actually is. In the event of an outbreak of Stand-style superflu, the fate of certain other parts of the world would conceivably be markedly different.

New Zealand, for instance, is sufficiently isolated that it would simply close up shop and shoot down any incoming planes. Which means, after the flu has passed, that you could be looking at Pax Zealandia, as we conquer any remaining survivors. :D

New Zealand, for instance, is sufficiently isolated that it would simply close up shop and shoot down any incoming planes. Which means, after the flu has passed, that you could be looking at Pax Zealandia, as we conquer any remaining survivors. :D

And yet still fail to win the World Cup.

People still actually play Cricket???

:bang:

Any baseball fan should, theoretically, be able to appreciate cricket. To quote John Fowles:

"Baseball and cricket are beautiful and highly stylized medieval war substitutes, chess made flesh, a mixture of proud chivalry and base - in both senses - greed."

I'm a baseball fan that is learning to enjoy cricket. The reasons I like it, structurally, are the same as baseball in that it's a slower, more subtle game. The main reason that's buffering my appreciation for it is that I just haven't been following it all my life and so I don't know all the players and the history, etc. and therefore I just can't get passionate about it.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Naz,

I'm a baseball fan that is learning to enjoy cricket. The reasons I like it, structurally, are the same as baseball in that it's a slower, more subtle game. The main reason that's buffering my appreciation for it is that I just haven't been following it all my life and so I don't know all the players and the history, etc. and therefore I just can't get passionate about it.

Sorry for the threadjack.

I'd love to go to a Cricket match just to see if I could figure out how the game is played.

The rules of cricket are simple and can be found with a quick google.

In order to assist people who are not familiar with the game of Cricket,

we offer this explanation.

Cricket is a game in which there are 2 sides - one out on the field, and

the other in.

Each man in the side that is in goes out, and when he is out he comes

in, then the next man goes out until he's out and then he comes in.

When the side that is in is all out, the side that has been out goes in,

and the side that was in goes out and tries to get out the side that

went in.

Sometimes there are men still in and not out when the side that is in is

finally out.

When both sides have been in and out, including those not out and no

longer in - that is the end of the game . . . .

:lol: Now it's all perfectly clear.

ETA: Actually, can't say a real explanation does much of a better job. :huh:

Archived