Dexter: The Final Season

Commodore

They've hinted that it is, and Michael C. Hall's contract is up this year, but Showtime, I guess, is holding out to see how well it does this year

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/05/dexter-last-season-les-moonves_n_2812194.html

Les Moonves the CEO of CBS corp. has come out and said that this will be the final year for this show.

Actually, when a show is on the way out, why bother building up its audience? You use the show to build up an audience for the next new thing, which is exactly what Showtime's doing. Dexter, for the first time in years is back on the summer schedule, not the fall one, and the week after it ends, Homeland starts up in its timeslot, and leads in for Masters of Sex.

A sneak peek clip of S8E1. Looks to pick up a few weeks after the point S7 ended.

This is about how I expected Deb to react. I honestly have no idea how this series will end. Dex kills Deb? Deb kills Dex? Hot Blonde serial killer kills either or both of them? I've a sneaky feeling it will end w/ a time jump of Harrison as an adult--whether or not he's like his mom or pop though, it could go either way.

Looking forward to it! Especially for Liev Shreiber.

5, 6, and 7 were kind of hit-or-miss seasons for me - with 6 missing more than it hit, hehe. Maybe now that they have a definite end point in mind this year will be more focused. I don't think anything will be able to top John Lithgow and the amazing fourth season, but maybe 'ol Dex can go out with a bang.

S6 & S7 had some great moments, but as overall seasons they seemed a bit lacking and took maybe longer than they needed to get where they did. S5 and Lumen I thought was solid, but it followed Lithgow and S4, so I think it got a bit harsher criticism from most fans than it deserved.

I'd rank my favorite seasons in order as: 1, 4, 3, 2/5, 6, 7

It's strange to be so happy that a show is ending but Dexter has been in need of this since season 3 almost. I just hope they have it all planned out which from interviews seems to be the case. No-one is safe in this final run and I hope we get plenty of shocks and a nice resolution.

Some solid new guest stars as well

my favourite seasons are probably 2, 1, 4, 7, 5, 3 and 6 (which was awful).

The subplots are what killed the enjoyment of later seasons along with Dexter's increasing lack of obeying his code. Season 4 is great in terms of lithgow and the main plot but the idiotic laguerta, angel and co side-stories were already infecting the show.

Fingers crossed that the final season will break into the top 3 seasons.

The subplots are what killed the enjoyment of later seasons along with Dexter's increasing lack of obeying his code. Season 4 is great in terms of lithgow and the main plot but the idiotic laguerta, angel and co side-stories were already infecting the show.

That became quite apparent to me when I first rewatched season 4. When it first aired, the Trinity story was so engrossing that I completely tuned out all the secondary plots. When I rewatched it, the excitement about Trinity was gone and it made me realize that all the secondary plots are horrible.

S5 had some potential but they discarded Rita's death way too fast and Lumen was a horrible character.

S6... let's not talk about it.

1-2-4-3---7-5-----6

The less said about Laguerta and Annhheeiilll's (Hahaha. I love the ridiculous way she pronounces his name that literally no-one else does, even the other spanish characters or Angel himself.) romance the better.

You've got it right when you say that Trinity was just so compelling it helps you space out the rest of the silliness.

1-2-4-3---7-5-----6

This is really close to my ratings, but the massive inconsistency of season 7 flips it with 5 for me. It started so well, but ended soooooooooooooooooo poorly. I don't think I've ever seen a single season of a television show fall apart as completely as season 7 did in the last four episodes. I'm thrilled that this is the final season because I have a difficult time actually dropping shows, and I just suffer while I hope for them to end (it's a problem, I know, and I'm seeking a qualified therapist to cure this terrible affliction ;)).

I think season 5 is awful. Dex showing real emotions for Lumen? So out of his character to do that. I didn't like the multiple antagonists either. The seasons where there is one main antagonist (1&4) are the best because Dex actually tries to connect with these people.

I don't get the S6 hateration. Sure, it wasn't the best season by far, but wow. Yes, the Trinity call back was a bit weak, but it did tie up the loose ends of Trinity's family. And I can see how some found the Brother Sam plot a bit corny, but I dig Mos Def and thought his character added an important perspective in contrast w/ Dex's "code." Travis Marshall was a great foil. The twist w/ his mentor was great. I also dug the subplots w/ Derb's promotion, video game intern guy, and LaGuerrta blackmailing her way to the top while leaving Batista behind. That really set up her demise in S7 being a bit more palatable. The whole kidnapping of Harrison by Doomsday--yeah, I'll give you that as another weak execution of story. But the very end of S6 was one of the greatest moments of the series.

I think season 5 is awful. Dex showing real emotions for Lumen? So out of his character to do that. . .

I don't think it was out of character for him in S5 at all. Sure, if that had went down in S2, I'd five you that gripe as legit, but Dex had been increasingly more prone to experiencing "real" emotion in his marriage to Rita, then the birth of Harrison, and with Rita's death. All were very new emotions/experiences for him and I thought Lumen served as a good way for Dex to process Rita's death.

Archived