If you could choose a series HBO would make

JonArryn

But if they did, when it comes to sf/f there's only book I'd care to see as a basis for the adaptation -- hopefully updated in treatment and approach too -- and that would be Dragonflight, the first Dragon Riders of Pern novella - novel, and by far the best one.

Ron Moore was developing this for someone (SyFy?) but it got delayed for BSG. There was some renewed interest after BSG, but he went and made Outlander instead. This could still happen, just not imminently.

I would kill for a HBO-produced fictionalized account of the Spanish Conquest of the Inca Empire, especially the early stages (1530s). It could be a great device to explore themes like religion, racism, political hierarchy, fear of the unknown, and cultural divisions etc.

silmarillion as a weekly.

I hope Peter Jackson does a movie on it

A proper Dune mini-series with an age and size-appropriate Paul.

Matrim beat me to it. A properly extensive and completely faithful adaptation of the Dune novels, climaxing eventually with Chapterhouse Dune. Extensive voiceover might be needed, if well done, to bring more of the character of the books, i.e. their exquisite poetry. The previous mini-series was more faithful than the film, but the acting in the second series was aberrant and they over-simplified the story arcs, as well as turning Leto II into a fortune cookie spouting Yoda figure contradictory to his intellectual and moral complexity as a literary character.

You guys beat me to it, would love to see Dune.

Also would like perhaps in the future a greek mythology series, or perhaps series about The Odyssey, something along those lines. Perhaps another mob related show (yes its been over done, but enjoy those type of shows), or perhaps a historical drama show. But please no more zombie shows

Even though it may be a controversial a proper Left Behind series (the books where awesome), not that Rubbish with Nicolas Cage

A Dune series would rule.... as would Dredd....

I just started reading a Garth Ennis series called "The Boys".... it looks like a shitload of fun and I bet that HBO would do wonders with it.... There are so many great GN/trades that few networks have the budget to even attempt to pull off... Preacher is already set in motion by AMC... I already mentioned Planetary earlier in the thread.... I just wonder why HBO has never --to my knowledge-- ventured into the graphic novel world...

Even though it may be a controversial a proper Left Behind series (the books where awesome), not that Rubbish with Nicolas Cage

Um the books give shit a bad name. The guy fitting my kitchen years ago lent me the first Left Behind on seeing all my fantasy and Pratchett books. It was an utter turdfest, one of the worst things I've read.

I'd like to see HBO adapt the Aubrey/Maturin books. There was a half-decent Hornblower series years ago, so it is doable witha decent budget. Plus Black Sails. On the other hand, the movie wasnt a massive hit which would put people off making it.

I'd like to see HBO do an 'adult' Robin Hood and The Three Musketeers.

I would say the Wheel of Time, but it's simply impossible to do it live action imo, would have to be a long running animated series.

So in that case I would love to see a cold war HBO spy thriller, something similar to the recent Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy movie.

I know one thing HBO is doing, and its none of these, and isn't fantasy or sf. It might be kind of historical , since it's set in the 70's. But it is based on a novel. And I cannot say anything further as yet, until official announcements go out. But it will be, or at least it should be, as it has all the elements necessary, to be really fine dramatic television.

My guess would be that it's the upcoming series from Terrence Winter, Martin Scorsese, and Mick Jagger, since it's set in the late 1970's and is currently untitled. It's development has been widely reported on, though, so it doesn't seem to jibe with the 'can't say more until officially announced' bit. HBO is also developing a noir drama with David Fincher and James Ellroy, but that's set in the 1950's, so it wouldn't match up with the time period...

I would love to see a historical fiction series about Ireland, particularly something like the life of Brian Boru. I mean seriously there's all these historical fiction and fantasy shows out there nowadays, half of them are shot in Ireland, but not one of them are actually supposed to be set in/about Ireland. Looking at the era of Irish history where they were fighting the Vikings you get plenty of battles, intrigue, of course it'll look beautiful if they shoot it on location.

And I know there's been talk about there being a Brian Boru movie, apparently with DiCaprio in the title role (...yeah, lol), but lets be honest it'd be better as a big budget HBO show, especially given Hollywoods propensity to fudge movies like that.

I've seen Veep on HBO and on Sony they have a TV series called Madame Secretary. Both series focus on the work of a branch of the US government (the Vice-President and the State Department). For the President it's The West Wing.

I'd like to see a political series focusing on the work of the Environmental Protection Agency.

A show about HBO executives looking for their next big show. Then one employee has an idea that they should do a show about HBO executives looking for their next big show, and find it in the form of a show about HBO executives looking for their next big show, repeat ad infinitum.

I'd like to see a series about life 200 years in the future, when global warming has wrought massive change to the environment and forced humans to radically adapt how they survive and live on the planet.

Archived