If you could choose a series HBO would make

JonArryn

Both Dune (as Dune Messiah and Children of Dune) and Shogun have been done as television miniseries. I love the Dune adaptation, but evidently some don't. :cheers:

I think the Dune miniseries were reasonably good (they're more faithful than the film even if they still make some changes), but I think there is still a lot of room for improvement. The acting is variable in quality and some of the sets and effects show the budgetary limitations, maybe HBO could afford to film in an actual desert rather than relying on glaringly obvious painted backdrops for scenery.

I think the Dune miniseries were reasonably good (they're more faithful than the film even if they still make some changes), but I think there is still a lot of room for improvement. The acting is variable in quality and some of the sets and effects show the budgetary limitations, maybe HBO could afford to film in an actual desert rather than relying on glaringly obvious painted backdrops for scenery.

Ooooo, but those backdrops were so splendidly old school sf space opera-y! :)

BTW, at least at some time, Scorsese was supposedly developing an HBO series about two Portuguese Jesuit priests in 16th Japan -- speaking of a Shogun remake . . . .

No sir, Mr Werthead.... I was referring to the John Corey Books --Plum Island, the Lions Game, etc-- they were written by Nelson DE Mille.... great stuff.... I highly recommend them... but I am curious as to what the James Corey expanse series will entail..... thanks for the heads up

Personally, I'd prefer HBO develop original content, not adapt from something that already exists.

But if they did, when it comes to sf/f there's only book I'd care to see as a basis for the adaptation -- hopefully updated in treatment and approach too -- and that would be Dragonflight, the first Dragon Riders of Pern novella - novel, and by far the best one.

When it comes to historical fiction though, if HBO were do something adapted from existing books, the Sharon Kay Penman Plantagenet series would be terrific. And they are all completed, as she published A King's Ransom last year.

She did say this was the end of this series, but it's difficult to let go of the Plantagenets, so it wouldn't be surprising to herself or us if she does at least one more.

I'd love to see a scripted series that had at least four season centered on Andrew Jackson. You want a fascinating villain who is was a real as can be, there's no one better than Jackson. I'd adore working on such a series!

As someone mentioned earlier:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I'd love to see it done with a big budget and not in wuxia style. However this would require HBO to commit an enormous amount of money to a show that wouldn't have white or black people in it; and that will never happen.

I want to see an anthology of mini-series based on Tom Robbins novels (Still-life with Woodpecker, Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates, and Jitterbug Perfume). Or even just a HBO original film version of Jitterbug. I've been meaning to see the film version of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, but I have no idea where to find it.

Watership Down

A 3-season adaptation of The Lord of the Flies…end the first season where the book ends, with the military ship there to rescue the kids, but have the ship get bombed…leave the kids stuck on the island

A poker drama. I see so many horrific tales at the table just waiting to be told

Archived