Justified Season 5 (Spoilers)

Mark Antony

I like the Raylan and Rachel stories and wish there were more of them. It brings the wry humor that I love, especially when Raylan goes to visit Duffy.

As for Boyd, meh. I could care less about Paxton or Ava for that matter. Boyd is great at chewing up scenery but at some point, I've lost my ability to truly care about his current situation. I just want that story to get to all out war between him and the Crowes and figure out how to get Raylan involved.

I'm with you on both accounts.

S5E1 did a good job explaining why Raylan is avoiding his kid but it still doesn't excuse it. Hopefully someone at the marshal's office talks some sense in to him and he becomes more involved in her life. I like Raylan too much to see him become a deadbeat dad.

Are we to be left wondering if Boyd ditches Eva for the new woman?

He's probably going to have to make a choice gets Eva out of jail but throws him into a romantic entanglement with the new girl. That would be my guess.

He's probably going to have to make a choice gets Eva out of jail but throws him into a romantic entanglement with the new girl. That would be my guess.

The jail scene with cousin Johnny made me cringe with the thought that Eva goes to Johnny if Boyd leaves her high and dry.

It's unlikely, just a thought that popped up.

Edit: I had a dog that looked just like Chelsea -cept red- and he was an absolute love. Looked like a monster but was sweet as candy.

Edit: I had a dog that looked just like Chelsea -cept red- and he was an absolute love. Looked like a monster but was sweet as candy.

Just about every bully-type dog I've met is like that - and I've literally met hundreds. About the worst thing that's happened to me was straining my back when I got tackled by an 85 pound slobber monster.

I've already decided that my next dog is going to be a pit bull named "Hodor".

Leigh Butler, who's been doing the ASOIAF Reread over at TOR, brought up some parallels between that and Justified. Now I'm going to have to reread that prologue imagining Dewey Crowe as Pate...

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/01/a-read-of-ice-and-fire-a-feast-for-crows-part-1

This is kind of random, perhaps, but I’ve been watching the TV showJustified a lot lately, and the parallels I’ve been finding between it and ASOIAF are rather startling. On the surface the two things have just about nothing in common, considering that ASOIAF is an epic fantasy book series about (basically) pseudo-medieval European war and politics amid an impending wintry apocalypse, and Justified is (basically) an modern-day American cops and robbers show set in the backwoods of Kentucky, but once you go beyond the surface, the underlying perspective on human nature in each story is eerily similar, and it’s a perspective that’s given me much food for thought lately.

Both ASOIAF and Justified have a view of humanity that is both profoundly cynical and yet oddly lyrical at the same time. Along with a refreshingly clear-eyed (if often depressing, therefore) acknowledgement of their respective societies’ biases with regard to class, race, gender, etc., they both observe, with brutal honesty, how cruelly their worlds prey on the weak and stupid (like, for instance, our POV character Pate here), and yet they simultaneously manage to convey a certain wry compassion for those who fall victim to that cruelty. They make us shake our heads at how dumb these poor saps are, and also to feel sorry for them at the same time, even when their actions are less than pure themselves, because we are made to recognize just how deep and treacherous are the waters in which they swim, often through no choice or fault of their own, and how woefully unprepared most of these characters could ever be to navigate the currents and undertows in which they are caught.

(The concurrent “less-than-pure poor sap” character on Justified, if you’re curious, is Dewey Crowe, and let me take a moment to assure you that if you like ASOIAF or anything similar to it you should absolutely be watchingJustified, because it is amazing, and tragically underrated as a TV show, mostly because Hollywood is prejudiced against the South, so fuck them.)

DId anyone watch the trailer for next week

Alan Tudyk :D

Heh, he seemed overly serious tho.

And looks like Raylan will be in some hot shit going forward. Could this possibly be setting up the ultimate end? All Tonin has to say is Raylan told him to kill Nicky, and Ray will be done. Of course it'll be more complicated than that. But if he ever lost his badge (and word got around), he'd be dead within a day.

Heh, he seemed overly serious tho.

And looks like Raylan will be in some hot shit going forward. Could this possibly be setting up the ultimate end? All Tonin has to say is Raylan told him to kill Nicky, and Ray will be done. Of course it'll be more complicated than that. But if he ever lost his badge (and word got around), he'd be dead within a day.

wait...Tonin is dead. at least Tonin the younger. The older one fled the country and left his (greatly diminished) criminal enterprise to his son. I don't think we should assume that Theo Tonin knows Raylan was involved. Even if he does it's hearsay from a wanted felon.

Edit: I do like your idea of a badgless Givens for the final season. Everyone comes after him and it's team up with Boyd to protect his family or something. Also Ian McShane is there.

Oh wow, my bad I totally forgot that Sammy got lit up a couple episodes back. Picker's the guy that knows Raylan was there. Still though, this seems to be the beginning of a buildup.

I don't know if Boyd and Raylan would ever team up. But yeah a badge-less Raylan does make for an intriguing final season.

The way this show usually plays out I think it would end with Raylan losing his badge, deciding that he will go be a dad for real and right after he's had that phone call/skype conversation with Winona he'll walk out to his car and get gunned down. Omar style.

Archived