Justified Season 5 (Spoilers)

Mark Antony

My favorite exchange was

"I've never seen that gun before. And it's not even loaded."

"It says Dewey on the handle."

"It's a common name."

That was great. Every scene with Dewey was and has always been golden in my eyes. The whole court scene when he thought they were offering him 300 dollars was brilliant.

That was great. Every scene with Dewey was and has always been golden in my eyes. The whole court scene when he thought they were offering him 300 dollars was brilliant.

I must have missed that Episode, how did Dewey get out of his mass robbery situation?.

Who else loved the Deadwood reference in the bar scene? It just makes me want Ian McShane on this show even more.

Anyway, the show changed in tone and approach, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. I'm looking forward to see where it's going next.

Funnily in an interview with Yost, he says this about that scene:

Okay, that was a line Fred and I really went back and forth on. It was pitched by either Tim or Michael, and we thought it was just kinda too on the nose, but let’s shoot it, we can always cut around it. It ended up really landing. There was a day on the set later on when we wanted to get a cake for James Le Gros, and we tried to get a cake from Costco with the words, “Can I get you a blowjob?” on it. And they wouldn’t do it. So the caterers had to write on it themselves. I totally understand why Costco would not want to be doing a cake with that written on it.

I'm betting Olyphant came up with that one.

Just watched it off the DVR. I did notice the different filter on the Detroit scenes but I thought it worked. Boyd getting asked about his ear again and again. Dave Foley as a Canuck badass. It was solid. Also props for having David Koechner as a deputy.

I have no idea where this one is going but given the heights of last season, I'm not going to try to predict a thing.

Justified jumping around isn't necessarily a bad thing. The last 4 seasons were almost exclusively set in Harlan and Lexington, so I think adding Detroit and Florida in the mix is pretty interesting, although I doubt they'll have as much screentime as the Kentucky locations. Graham Yost himself said he wants to take the show back to the hollers of Season 2.

well, theyve really been all over kentucky. though they start in the lexington office, a ton of the more one-off story lines involve going to other locations in kentucky. the only particular one i remember is versailles.

but the marshalls office has to have jurisdiction over a fairly wide swath of area.

Don't they technically have jurisdiction over the entire country? They are U.S. Marshalls, not state specific (does any state other than Texas even have Marshalls?). Raylan and Rachel went to SoCal in season 1 and operated with impunity.

Don't they technically have jurisdiction over the entire country? They are U.S. Marshalls, not state specific (does any state other than Texas even have Marshalls?). Raylan and Rachel went to SoCal in season 1 and operated with impunity.

Pretty sure that's correct.

right, jurisdiction is the wrong word. but they are assigned to a district and though sometimes they go out of that district, im sure most of the time, they are handling business within their own district, or cases that originated there etc. in this case art is the us marshall for eastern kentucky. so they range half the state on a regular basis and im sure weve seen raylan in a lot of localities, whether they mentioned specific town names or not

The Marshals have geographical jurisdiction, but their scope of operations is (in theory) quite limited. There's a lot of crossover between the alphabet soup of Federal agencies, but broadly speaking, they are primarily responsible for tracking & recovering fugitives who cross state lines, transportation & security of federal prisoners, and the protection & relocation of federal witnesses. Most of the crazy shit Raylan's been up to is well outside the scope of their operations - really, of the four major story arcs so far, the hunt for Drew Thompson is the only one that the Marshals should have ever been involved with.

The red-haired sister is Alicia Witt, who will always be Alia Atredes to me. For some reason I can't put link up.

As for the 1st ep, Justified is more about the season the any one ep, and this is just setting up some of the players.

I am not sure which was funnier, that the "heavy" Canadian mobsters being so polite, or that Sasso and Foley were playing them.

Yeah I mean, Dexter is a prime example of that. It was so well planned out. And I mean the lumberjack scene bytheway.

Way back on season one, it might have been season two, or three, maybe four, there was an axe in one scene and when I made that connection... mind blown.

Okay none of that was serious.

Thing with Dexter is that it appears the show runners didn't want any sort of harm to come Dexter's way. I'm talking about seasons 5 to most of 8. A better show wouldn't pull punches, punishing its anti-hero in a convincing way. Now I'm not saying that the protagonist should be punished in order for a show to be good, but if you're going to do it, do it right. With Dexter is seemed like a couple episodes from the end they went 'oh yeah, this dude's a serial killer, he has to answer for his deeds!'. And then we got the spectacular clusterfuck that was the finale. It felt rushed and out of place.

As for Justified, it's tough to guess where it's headed. As opposed to Dexter, this show knows what it is, and hasn't strayed from that. The heart of the show is the relationship of Boyd and Raylan, so the ending will probably be the final take on the relationship. And Graham Yost has already said that Boyd and Raylan will realize that they do not like each other at all, so maybe there's an idea of where it's headed.

Edit: random fact - Dewey Crowe is played by a 43 year old Australian dude (Damon Herriman) :lol:

Archived