Football LXV - refs' decisions and beyond!

baxus

West Ham back in the top half :D

10th feels like top of the league after the first half if this season, no?

Another excellent match for Mark Noble. Team looks confident and together these days. Hopefully we can keep it up--we've had a relatively easy stretch if games lately.

Jovetic injured again. Subbed off about ten minutes after coming on.

This is getting silly now.

Anyway, finally we score. Toure makes it 1 nil

Really happy Roma didn't manage to tempt him away from joining City, incredible player when fit, but he's never fit.

Anyway, Koscielny is probably the best defender in the league. Kind of weird typing that, but he is.

He seems to have taken the slide tackle in the penalty box out of his game, was doing that a bunch in the first season, and he had an opportunity today but went with the smarter option of shepherding the player to the byline instead. The defense has come a long way in the past 2 seasons, love Big per as well.

Worried about Sagna though, I like Jenkinson, but Sagna is miles ahead in every department. The latter has become so much more accomplished at putting crosses in and his ball control has come a long way too. More often than not, he can find a team-mate if he's cornered, Jenkinson though not so much. I'm sure he will improve, but he's not ready yet. All of the noises coming out of the club seem to indicate that Sagna won't be signing on, which is a pity.

Mexal, what did you think of Podolski today? I thought he was quite poor, especially in a game where we had so much possession, but I don't know if it's just me being too harsh on him.

He seems to have taken the slide tackle in the penalty box out of his game, was doing that a bunch in the first season, and he had an opportunity today but went with the smarter option of shepherding the player to the byline instead. The defense has come a long way in the past 2 seasons, love Big per as well.

Worried about Sagna though, I like Jenkinson, but Sagna is miles ahead in every department. The latter has become so much more accomplished at putting crosses in and his ball control has come a long way too. More often than not, he can find a team-mate if he's cornered, Jenkinson though not so much. I'm sure he will improve, but he's not ready yet. All of the noises coming out of the club seem to indicate that Sagna won't be signing on, which is a pity.

Mexal, what did you think of Podolski today? I thought he was quite poor, especially in a game where we had so much possession, but I don't know if it's just me being too harsh on him.

I agree with you about Sagna. I like Jenkinson but Sagna is better and more versatile. Really hope they get a deal done.

Podolski was poor. He plays too deep, coming back to get the ball for no real reason. As always, his movement is meh and his ball handling isn't much better. But there are always a few opportunities for that left foot and he really is our most dangerous finisher. I'd love for him to get a run of games since Cazorla's form isn't great. Playing so sporadically can't help.

Oh Alex Song. It's a pity that Barcelona has not worked out for you ( Not really)

Mexal, he just seems to have lost so much pace on the ball, it's staggering. I hope he gets a run in the game, but I don't think it's going to be at the expense of someone like Cazorla. Even though he's not affecting the game as much as he probably could, he's still picking the right passes and switching play really well. Podolski is doing neither, there is no penetration from him. I hope he comes good, I don't want to see him move away from the club, but if we get a replacement in the summer, it seems likely.

Podolski is a good finisher, but doesn't do many other things particularly well. Normally a good finisher should be a good goalscorer, but when you consider that Podolski is not particularly strong in the air, doesn't have a good burst of pace and in any case doesn't make incisive runs, he really is very reliant on his teammates setting the ball up for him, preferably not via an aerial cross which bigger defenders can just muscle him off.

The cup match vs Liverpool was the classic Podolski goal - making a run into the box and latching onto a pass from someone else who did the running (Oxlade-Chamberlain in that case). Just like Ozil is dependent on Walcott latching onto his through-balls, I think Podolski is dependent on Walcott (or others) passing the ball into the centre for him to finish.

He's still a good player, but I think Wenger is using him correctly. Podolski doesn't offer enough scope in a full 90 minutes, but his skill set is perfectly suited for being an impact super sub.

oh my, zlatan!

regarding playing in the epl...

"If I had played there, I would have destroyed it, like I have everywhere else," the Paris Saint-Germain striker told The Mirror.

At age 16, Ibrahimovic declined an opportunity for a trial at Arsenal and joined Ajax instead.

Now at 32, he lashed out at critics who would belittle him for never testing himself in England, and even took a shot at Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, whose title drought with the Gunners has passed eight years.

"Arsenal could have happened, as everybody knows -- but I would not do a trial. Who do you think regrets that more, Arsene Wenger or Zlatan?"

Ibrahimovic scored four times in a 2012 friendly against England, a fact he has not forgotten.

"The last time I faced England, which is supposed to be the best players in the Premier League, what happened?" he said. "Maybe people need to be reminded that it was the Zlatan show."

the man is immensely skilled. nobody can possibly deny that. i am a huge fan of the willingly vilified zlatan.

Group A: Netherlands, Kazakhstan, Iceland, Latvia, Turkey, and Czech Republic
Group B: Bosnia-Hercegovina, Andorra, Cyprus, Wales, Israel, and Belgium
Group C: Spain, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Belarus, Slovakia, and Ukraine
Group D: Germany, Gibraltar, Georgia, Scotland, Poland, and Ireland
Group E: England, San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia, Slovenia, and Switzerland
Group F: Greece, Faroes, Northern-Ireland, Finland, Romania, and Hungary
Group G: Russia, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Montenegro, Austria, and Sweden
Group H: Italy, Malta, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Norway, and Croatia
Group I: Portugal, Albania, Armenia, Serbia, and Denmark

Well yeah, the capacity has increased from 16 to 24 so there will be some new, rubbish teams in it.

Platini has really messed up the best international tournament in the world. Fixing what wasnt broken

I suggest anyone on here who thinks Dzeko "hasn't been given a chance" this season takes a look at today's game and then confesses how wrong they are.

Everything I've been saying about him this season has been proven correct today in one neat package.

i haven't seen the match but i guess he had a bad game.

all players do once in a while, don't they?

still, his premiership stats say he's scored 7 goals and had 4 assists in 1163 minutes on pitch (comes down to a bit under 13 matches of game time) and those stats are not bearly bad, don't you agree?

on the other hand, negredo has 9 goals and 4 assists in 1507 minutes on the pitch (almost 17 full matches of game time) which is not bad either.

He also has an awesome first name.

it get even better when it's in your native language :D

in case someone doesn't know, his name means "the golden one", "goldie" or something like that :D

Archived