In vino veritas - what are you drinking?

Fragile Bird

Amber Lager.

I tried that thing I saw in the internet about wrapping my beer in a wet paper towel to cool it faster and didn't work out.

I feel scammed, had to eat my pizza with a light lager until the other one was at the right temperature to drink (that happens to be now B) )

Amber Lager.

I tried that thing I saw in the internet about wrapping my beer in a wet paper towel to cool it faster and didn't work out.

I feel scammed, had to eat my pizza with a light lager until the other one was at the right temperature to drink (that happens to be now B) )

I've never heard of that wet paper towel thing.

Of course, you shouldn't buy beer that's not stored/sold at the temperature your going to drink it at.

The wet paper towel thing DOES work. It's just like a chilling sleeve. But you need to leave the bottle with the wet wrap in your fridge for a good ten mins.

Innis & Gunn? Why would you do that to yourself?

You swine.

You know, we and the folks in Switzerland have been pushing for some time that we are the real speakers of the French language. The alternative but always True version of the King's English, if you will. But you actual frogs are many in number and drag our great names through the mud the the Loire valley at every opportunity, do you not?

The Sun King's French is spoken in Switzerland and Belgium rather than France itself, it would seem. Quelle horreur.

Huh? I don't get it. Is that in Flemish?

Yeah, I have discovered that I am not a fan of their beers. But I know a number of people who like them, so I just let it slide. (Same as my feelings on Ommegang, another brewery whose beers I dislike, but who have a huge following.)

Last night, I had two Victory Dirtwolf DIPAs, then had a Brooklyn lager. Talk about palate whiplash. At least there was a subway ride between the two bars/beers, so it wasn't a complete disaster. While drinking the Dirtwolf with colleagues, I found myself arguing with the boss about the ingredients of root beer, the legality of sassafras, and the proper varietals of apples to make hard cider. In particular, I kept shooting down the boss's incorrect assertions, while the others laughed and one remarked "there is a fine line between "intensely knowledgeable" and "pedantic." If correcting gross errors (rather than carping on piffling details) is "pedantic," then I guess I'm the biggest pedantic asshole on the planet. :rolleyes:

Margaritas are delicious! Though I've just realised that I am out of tequila, despite having bought mangoes for mango margaritas in the bath tomorrow. Must rectify that.

]If correcting gross errors (rather than carping on piffling details) is "pedantic," then I guess I'm the biggest pedantic asshole on the planet. :rolleyes:

That's not pedantry, that's passion. With perhaps a soupçon of rooting out ignorance.

I had a Founder's All-Day IPA with my lunch today. I never thought I'd say this, but I found it too hoppy. Maybe it's what I was eating, maybe it was the beer itself, but I found that it was just off-balance.

I have also never found a session ipa I really enjoy.

For me I like an ipa for that powerful kick of hops, pleasant bitterness and alcohol content. Attempts to make it a session beer have nullified that for me.

So if I am looking for that hoppy yet low and option I will often go an American pale or the delicious prima pils.

I like Laguanitas Hopped Stoopid. If I want an IPA, I might as well go for something over the top. IPAs are a little too much taste for me, but if I'm in the mood for one, I'm not going for a session-type. Bud Light is for pounding, not some whacky IPA.

I've never heard of that wet paper towel thing.

Of course, you shouldn't buy beer that's not stored/sold at the temperature your going to drink it at.

For me that's nearly impossible, only most popular (and sold) brands get to have a fridge at the supermarket, and sometimes even they're not cool enough (they keep them at room temperature until the moment the previous batch gets sold).

At a bar is a different matter, of course. I'd return a beer that's not served at the right temperature.

The wet paper towel thing DOES work. It's just like a chilling sleeve. But you need to leave the bottle with the wet wrap in your fridge for a good ten mins.

That's why I feel scammed :( I put it in the freezer though, maybe that was my mistake.

(Same as my feelings on Ommegang, another brewery whose beers I dislike, but who have a huge following.)

Ommegang usually leaves me feeling like I overpaid for a beer, but I love their Rare Vos. It's on tap all around here (Albany) right now and maybe it's the combo of hot days / cool nights, but ambers taste really good this time of year, and that one has been my go-to. The rest of their stuff could be annihilated in a fiery beer-inferno tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eye.

I'm drinking a very fine India Session Ale right now. Doesn't help any of you very much, though. If you are willing to travel to Vancouver for the experience, though, let me know.

Archived