Bakker XXVI: Atrocious predictions, piled

Borque

Really? You didn't think you were being abused by the author while reading DotD? I did. What bugged me the most is that Bakker kept interrupting the story to make one rant after the other of the "whenever I see someone doing this I think this" sort. I'm not sure what those are called but what they are is Bakker shitting in the reader's ear. He has his blog for that.

Really? You didn't think you were being abused by the author while reading DotD? I did. What bugged me the most is that Bakker kept interrupting the story to make one rant after the other of the "whenever I see someone doing this I think this" sort. I'm not sure what those are called but what they are is Bakker shitting in the reader's ear. He has his blog for that.

Abused? What exactly was so abusive? Bakkerian rants on EAMD? Surely you know who Bakker is by now?

It's not even strictly EAMD, it's Bakker ranting about all the things that he doesn't like in people or anything that annoys him in general. In TSA, there is enough else going on that you can ignore it, but in DotD, if you take out the ranting and the semen jokes, what remains is a bad plot coupled with a terrible ending. Not to mention that Bakker has written the entire book using the method of tell, don't show.

It's not even strictly EAMD, it's Bakker ranting about all the things that he doesn't like in people or anything that annoys him in general. In TSA, there is enough else going on that you can ignore it, but in DotD, if you take out the ranting and the semen jokes, what remains is a bad plot coupled with a terrible ending. Not to mention that Bakker has written the entire book using the method of tell, don't show.

Well...that is EAMD :)

I'm struggling to think of what you mean because the sort of thing I remember falls into the above category or as part of the main character's cynicism.

As for the plot: I can't remember it being anything that great. It was more underwhelming that Neuropath iirc which was basically carried more by its premise than any great focus on the thriller portion.

everyone does that. it's just that most other interrantions don't arise above the ideological background noise of most readers, and so just appear as natural or normal or common sense description.

I'm struggling to think of what you mean because the sort of thing I remember falls into the above category or as part of the main character's cynicism.

Most of it is there to highlight Bakker's cynicism, which was really unnecessary since Bakker Disciple tells us on the very first page of the book that he is a cynic. The book does have one moment of unintentional hilarity though, it's when some woman towards the end asks Disciple (paraphrasing), "Why... did you have to be... a cynic?" At which point I burst out laughing thinking oh man, this Bakker guy takes himself way too seriously.

most other interrantions don't arise above the ideological background noise of most readers

I'm not sure what ideological background one needs to not notice it. Perhaps the pretentious idiot who laughs at the word 'boobies' background?

So I've been reading Disciple of the Dog and although I can't say that I like it at all, I'm actually surprised that the people in this thread don't. I mean, a bunch of unfunny fart and semen jokes that the author no doubt thinks are the epitome of hilarity... how is that so different from this very thread?

I thought Disciple was shit, hated it. I will never understand how Bakker thought that this would be his commercial breakthrough and the beginning of a series. Shows how little he understands what "common folk" really wants. He has his head in the clouds and refuses to look down.

On the other hand, I thought Neuropath was very good, loved it. Very few books have attached themselves to my brain like that, and refused to let go. Although I hadn't read much of his blog then so I wasn't tired of hearing about "the argument" yet.

He is really bad at communicating with people over the interwebs and should stop.

I will never understand how Bakker thought that this would be his commercial breakthrough and the beginning of a series.

O_o

I want to laugh, but I honestly feel sorry for him. Maybe he has a mental condition?

How many copies did the book sell anyway? I take it not very much?

SBH seems to have a strange relationship with Bakker. You seem to hate him, yet you seem to love being here. Or do you hate him because you love?

:thumbsup:

Only making sure that If and when I become immortal I'll at least remember the good times I had discussing the series on the forum. Although, at this rate it seems that the only thing I'll remember is Disciple.

Disciple was an interesting book that was well-written but suffered some from Bakker being a bit overbearing. I don't remember that much in the way of fart and boobie jokes, but I remember having the impression that it had a lot more humor than other Bakker books.

Neuropath was pretty much the same but didn't need to beat the point home quite as hard as it did.

I liked Neuropath for the most part. Its premise had so much potential. But I also have the same criticism that Wrath mentioned above.

I thought Disciple was shit, hated it. I will never understand how Bakker thought that this would be his commercial breakthrough and the beginning of a series. Shows how little he understands what "common folk" really wants. He has his head in the clouds and refuses to look down.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure about his head being in the clouds though, I would have guessed that it's somewhere much closer to home.

I was just reading Bakker's blog and it struck me how it's like reading a Gene Wolfe novel except with no plot and no hints that the secret story behind the unreliable narrator and numerous words that require a constant dictionary on hand will lead to anything but the most trite observations of the human condition.

I was just reading Bakker's blog and it struck me how it's like reading a Gene Wolfe novel except with no plot and no hints that the secret story behind the unreliable narrator and numerous words that require a constant dictionary on hand will lead to anything but the most trite observations of the human condition.

The secret story behind this post is "I don't like Bakker's blog."

It gets better on rereads.

Speaking of, does anyone who follows publishing much more than I do have any good take on when we might get another update on the most unholiest of unholies? Either from the blog or elsewhere? I mean, we got that update that the manuscript was done. I do understand that there's still plenty of work from that point, but what's a reasonable timeline to where we might hear the next update whatever that might be? What comes next? Rewrites are completed? Editors are done? Release date set?

Should we concern ourselves with what comes next? Surely what comes after does not determine what comes before?

Archived