[Book Spoilers] Daenerys evil moment rushed. Runners look uncomfortable with it.

I think it's important while watching this scene to sympathise with the 163 slave children who were nailed up. The screams of the Great Masters mean very little to me with that in mind.

I don't particularly agree with Dany's actions (I think she should have stripped the masters of all their wealth and exiled them), but it was an important symbol to the people of Meereen: the lives of slaves and the lives of the masters are equal.

Of course, problems eventually emerge because Dany doesn't continue to be this ruthless - she tries to win them over after she has already alienated them (but that is mostly because she never intended to rule the city in the first place and doesn't really think about the long-term implications of her actions - a huge oversight, of course).

That's not at all why Aerys was called the Mad King. He raped his wife, refused to allow anyone with blades near him, planned to burn King's Landing, etc. etc.

Dany is vengeful and has extreme notions of justice - but "an eye for an eye" is still considered a form of justice.

Its only justice if you do it to the actual individuals who actually did the crime. Otherwise its collective punishment based on social status, IE Pol Pot.

Show producers:

"This uprising in Meereen is getting boring now. Let's just cut straight to another Mhysa scene."

"...but wait, aren't we supposed to show her darker side crucifying the masters of the city?"

"Okay, let's get it over with quickly though so we can do another power shot of the Holy One in all her supreme glory."

Show producers:

"This uprising in Meereen is getting boring now. Let's just cut straight to another Mhysa scene."

"...but wait, aren't we supposed to show her darker side crucifying the masters of the city?"

"Okay, let's get it over with quickly though so we can do another power shot of the Holy One in all her supreme glory."

Basically this.

Show producers:

Doubt it. It was pretty graphic and she was shown to point blank ignore the advice of a genuine whiter than white character. Then there was that shot of her looking out over Meereen at the end, Targaryen banner behind, some would leap to the conclusion that it's a sign of her getting lustful for power. Even if you disagree, there'll surely be debate about it, in which case the writers and director have done their job well.

I really don't know what else they could have done, short of handing her the hammer and nail herself. Maybe they'll break out the faeces, blood and familiars for next season.

Dany is the most morally ambiguous protagonist on the show by far... but she is also the most heroic. It's the same in the books, and that's part of a larger point GRRM is trying to make.

If you're looking for a character who has been whitewashed, look no further than Tyrion "Murder isn't his thing" Lannister.

Doubt it. It was pretty graphic and she was shown to point blank ignore the advice of a genuine whiter than white character. Then there was that shot of her looking out over Meereen at the end, Targaryen banner behind, some would leap to the conclusion that it's a sign of her getting lustful for power. Even if you disagree, there'll surely be debate about it, in which case the writers and director have done their job well.

I really don't know what else they could have done, short of handing her the hammer and nail herself. Maybe they'll break out the faeces, blood and familiars for next season.

As it's been mentioned; Dany haters won't ever be appeased until she's cackling like a mad woman, drinking children's blood and dancing on skulls of the innocent.

Behind the scene.

"... She convinces herself that what she's doing is what any commander would do, but actually it's not what a good leader would do."

"ill answer Justice with justice" Line was really good!

Its going to make a lot of people go "What the fuck does that even mean!" and some viewers wont know how to react. I liked that especially

Hopefully people see it for what it is: punitive and petulant, and what it is not: justice.

History is littered with the bones of leaders who took half measures as she did here. Either kill them all (regime change) or demonstrate mercy and clemency as a lesson (but with no second chances).

As it's been mentioned; Dany haters won't ever be appeased until she's cackling like a mad woman, drinking children's blood and dancing on skulls of the innocent.

Behind the scene.

"... She convinces herself that what she's doing is what any commander would do, but actually it's not what a good leader would do."

Lol, pretty irrefutable there. I don't doubt to be honest that if the showrunners had spent more time on the scene, someone would still say, 'Yeah, we get it, Dany made a bad decision, you don't need to hammer the point in that much.'

I definitely thought it was her darkest moment on the show. Which will be made more powerful and interesting once all the trappings of pure white and pure black are burned out of characters like Dany, Tyrion and Stannis. I don't know if they will ever have the courage to do it to Tyrion or the wits to do it with Stannis.

I thought the scene with Barristan was about the consequences of her actions more than his disapproval of her actions. As he said at the beginning she had already won, there was no need to stomp on their faces (even if they deserved it).

This will later come into play with the insurgency of the Harpy and the lessons of ruling Dany will have in Meereen and he later capitulation and marriage to Hizface.

I also think they wanted to give Barristan some street cred for when he has to take over Meereen after Dany leaves atop Drogon. We don't get much information about him in the series it needs to seem plausible he can take over the city.

I don't think Crucifying the slavers was evil.

However, the scene with Dany looking over Mereen with the Targaryen flag above her and screams being heard was pretty dark. It really brought out the reality of her being a conqueror.

Barristan also seemed concerned with her choices which reminded me of his speech about serving under bad rulers (the Mad King in particular) and made me wonder if he was briefly worried Dany could be less Rhaegar and more Aerys. You could honestly see his concern and doubt for the first time which I loved.

I don't think Crucifying the slavers was evil.

However, the scene with Dany looking over Mereen with the Targaryen flag above her and screams being heard was pretty dark. It really brought out the reality of her being a conqueror.

Barristan also seemed concerned with her choices which reminded me of his speech about serving under bad rulers (the Mad King in particular) and made me wonder if he was briefly worried Dany could be less Rhaegar and more Aerys. You could honestly see his concern and doubt for the first time which I loved.

If they wanted to whitewash Dany, they could have easily just cut the crucified slave masters completely. But they didn't.

Archived