[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa VIII: Learning the Game

Mladen

I know Sophie Turner has got a bit taller, but I wouldn't have called her a shrimp in season 1. Also, while I have seen some theories, I'm not sure she'll end up being a septa.

Oops, sorry, I though this was the Sansa: From Prawn To Prayer thread.

Lol, did the OP really change the name of this thread because of this? It was called "From pawn to player" a few hours ago...

Lol, did the OP really change the name of this thread because of this? It was called "From pawn to player" a few hours ago...

No, I didn't change the thread because of your comment. I have done that because I was asked to do so.

No, I didn't change the thread because of your comment. I have done that because I was asked to do so.

Any reason given? I did think it was a good title, I was just in a weird mood when I saw it, and was just sharing. I know there are a lot of Sansa haters, but I'm not one of them.

Any reason given? I did think it was a good title, I was just in a weird mood when I saw it, and was just sharing. I know there are a lot of Sansa haters, but I'm not one of them.

You must not lurk the main book forum. Theres already a series of threads in there called From Pawn to Player.

"[Cutting out some stuff about Joffrey] Tyrion is her only and true friend, he's the only one who's been honest with her. Well, she has Shae but Shae's not completely sincere with Sansa. She could trust Tyrion completely, if she wished to. It's one of the most important relationships in Game of Thrones, especially for my character."

There are three possibilities for that quote:

1) It's been wrongly translated,

2) Sophie was misquoted in the article,

3) Sophie didn't express herself well.

Why can't you simply take Sophie Turner's quote for what it is and accept what she said? Why does it have to be any kind of misinterpretation or why should Turner suddenly have become clueless? She may know better than we do.

Why can't you simply take Sophie Turner's quote for what it is and accept what she said? Why does it have to be any kind of misinterpretation or why should Turner suddenly have become clueless? She may know better than we do.

:lmao: While im no Tyrion/Sansa shipper, i think that the ambivalent nature of their relationship is going to be really important later, for good or ill. So yeah i seriously agree with you here. (for once)

Sophie is saying: "Sansa could have trusted Tyrion and even found common ground with him. If she wanted to. But she didnt." And really, can anyone blame Sansa? My mum doesnt. Astute viewers dont.

I think Sophie Turner came a little close to Severe Spoiler Country with that quote, because its really hinting that there could be some sort of interaction with Sansa and Tyrion later on. And im really thinking it has nothing to do with romance.

As far as we know, actors know nothing about the end game of their characters. And TBH, do you believe that Sansa/Tyrion relationship is one of the most important in the series? I mean, I could think like dozen or two relationships that are more pressing and more important than Sansa/Tyrion. For her character, yes, but overall, I don't think so. Although I could be wrong.

Sophie is saying: "Sansa could have trusted Tyrion and even found common ground with him. If she wanted to. But she didnt." And really, can anyone blame Sansa? My mum doesnt. Astute viewers dont.

I think I would really enjoy watching GoT with your mum. From everything I hear, she seems awesome...

You must not lurk the main book forum. Theres already a series of threads in there called From Pawn to Player.

The reason is given, and I admit it was my mistake for using the phrase that is intellectual property of someone else without asking. As Florina said, on book subforum, there is a series of threads "From Pawn to Player" dedicated to Sansa. This thread, for clarification, isn't in any way connected with the above-mentioned thread, as this thread is a place for discussion TV/book parallels and deviations in Sansa's storylines.

As far as we know, actors know nothing about the end game of their characters. And TBH, do you believe that Sansa/Tyrion relationship is one of the most important in the series? I mean, I could think like dozen or two relationships that are more pressing and more important than Sansa/Tyrion. For her character, yes, but overall, I don't think so. Although I could be wrong.

It really could though if its in the realm of diplomacy. Just saiyan. Super saiyan. Its definitely important in terms of Sansa's character development though so Sophie Turner isnt wrong there.

I think I would really enjoy watching GoT with your mum. From everything I hear, she seems awesome...

Heh, she really is. Some of her theories are amazing. I should start compiling them into a thread.

:lmao: While im no Tyrion/Sansa shipper, i think that the ambivalent nature of their relationship is going to be really important later, for good or ill. So yeah i seriously agree with you here. (for once)

I think Sophie Turner came a little close to Severe Spoiler Country with that quote, because its really hinting that there could be some sort of interaction with Sansa and Tyrion later on. And im really thinking it has nothing to do with romance.

Both Jon and bran have had positive interactions with tyrion too. If this is heading to tyrion arriving in westeros with dany and her dragons then these relationships are very important. Even more so if that wall comes down

Uh, I already explained why. You may want to look at the rest of my post. And when you're at it, please explain how exactly it makes sense for Tyrion to become more important to Sansa than every other person in her life over the course of the next two books. Sophie has called Margaery her main influence in KL on becoming a player, and she has made it clear in every interview that Sansa doesn't love Tyrion and cannot develop any genuine romantic interest in him, which I am sure you've accepted since Sophie has said it. So, how exactly is he the single most important person in her life, even trumping her family?

Or you may just accept the much more likely explanation that she meant that it is one of the most important relationships for her character, rather than one of the most important relationships in the show overall (and therefore the one overwhelmingly most important relationship for Sansa).

Also, instead of insinuating that I'm implying that Sophie is "clueless", which I definitely didn't do, how about replying to what I actually postulated, i.e. that it's likely to be a bad translation, misquote or a case of not expressing oneself 100% perfectly in an oral interview, which everyone does, including actors? How about acknowledging the fact that the quote isn't even actually a quite but a translation from Spanish? And, unless Sophie speaks Spanish, the original Spanish quote is also a translation of what she actually said? So, we have an interviewer transcribing words of an actress who's speaking - as opposed to preparing a written statement - and translating them to Spanish and then someone else translating them to English. There are so many opportunities for misquotes and things being lost in translation.

I'm willing to bet that she actually said or meant to say "It's one of the most important relationships in Game of Thrones for my character", not "it's one of the most important relationships in Game of Thrones... especially for my character".

But why pay attention to logic if you can try to use it as evidence that Sansa/Tyrion is somehow in top 5 (or whatever) most important relationships in the show overall, despite the evidence to the contrary, i.e. the show itself and books themselves?

And that would make Sansa and Tyrion one of the most important relationships in GoT overall? How exactly?

It could make it one of the most important relationships for Sansa, but not one of the most important overall (which would imply it's the single most important relationship in her life and the most or one of the couple of most important in Tyrion's).

I don't doubt that there will be interaction between them, but how would that make it one of the most important relationships in the series, unless they are two heads of the dragon or Azor Again reborn and Nissa Nissa or something equally unlikely?

Or, Sansa could eventually escape into the Vale and encounter the barbarian tribes (Shagga Likes Axes!), and her status as Tyrion's wife might prove helpful in getting their help/protection.

And again, how would that make Sansa/Tyrion one of the most important relationships in GoT? It's not even about him, just her status as his legal wife.

"Not yet, anyway" was one of the most blatant bits of show-only foreshadowing that the show has provided to date. The fact that the line transitioned to a scene with Sansa and LF could mean either 1) Sansa kills LF or 2) Sansa, corrupted by LF's influence, kills someone.

Interesting that TV Sansa immediately denies that Tyrion murdered Joffrey and says "I just do" when asked how she knows that, even though she readily comes up with logical explanations for her other conclusions. Book Sansa certainly believed Tyrion could have done it (and vice versa, although Book Tyrion never thought Sansa could have pulled it off by herself, as I recall, whereas TV Tyrion just states that Sansa's not a killer...yet). Curious change from the books.

I tied that in with the scene where Jamie and Brienne were talking about her overlooking the Godswood and as they left Dontos floats by and Sansa sensed 'something' and looked around but saw nothing.

Maybe the producers are giving hints of her 6th sense?

I tied that in with the scene where Jamie and Brienne were talking about her overlooking the Godswood and as they left Dontos floats by and Sansa sensed 'something' and looked around but saw nothing.

Maybe the producers are giving hints of her 6th sense?

Well Book!Sansa seems to have/develop a decent sense of intuition (I'm currently rereading, and even in AGoT she's creeped out by LF). They might be playing that up. It's sad...she likely would have been a warg if Lady hadn't been killed. I don't mind the idea of her developing something of a 6th sense, or at least the show-runners giving Sansa a bit more credit than being the "stupid little girl" some others might see.

Woman of War, I noticed Sansa being blunt and pointed with LF as well, although she was still somewhat guarded: she didn't shrug off LF when he ran his hand down her arm, although she was clearly uncomfortable.

LF is also much more openly creepy and handsy with Sansa than he was at this point in the books. I didn't think they would do the LF/Sansa kiss, but after the most recent episodes I think a kiss would hardly be shocking.

One thing I'd forgotten is that Sophie Turner usually misses two or three episodes a season. 4x09 is out, but it's probably a safe bet that she's appearing in 4x10 and 4x07. If she sits out 4x06, then 4x07 seems a very unlikely candidate for "Only Cat," I agree.

The only thing about putting "Only Cat" in the finale is that I think that the snow scene has to be in the same episode as the confrontation with Lysa, and that seems like a lot for an episode that's going to be crammed to the gills with other things. On the other hand, if not 4x10, where would it go?

The look on her face was she's creeped, but also ahhhh now I know one thing he wants, I think at that point she remembered Shaes words to her about LF.

Well Book!Sansa seems to have/develop a decent sense of intuition (I'm currently rereading, and even in AGoT she's creeped out by LF). They might be playing that up. It's sad...she likely would have been a warg if Lady hadn't been killed. I don't mind the idea of her developing something of a 6th sense, or at least the show-runners giving Sansa a bit more credit than being the "stupid little girl" some others might see.

She's still a warg, just needs the right event to bring it into the forefront.

She's still a warg, just needs the right event to bring it into the forefront.

Why does everyone assume that because some of the children in the current Stark generation can warg that all of them can? There's been absolutely no hints Sansa can or will warg. Her Direwolf is dead as well, her connection to the Starks is very faint by this time. I don't think all of the Stark children are wargs. I think it's an inherited trait that can skip some members otherwise you'd have entire households of them. That's just not the case.

Why does everyone assume that because some of the children in the current Stark generation can warg that all of them can? There's been absolutely no hints Sansa can or will warg. Her Direwolf is dead as well, her connection to the Starks is very faint by this time. I don't think all of the Stark children are wargs. I think it's an inherited trait that can skip some members otherwise you'd have entire households of them. That's just not the case.

Because GRRM said so:

Are all the Stark children wargs/skin changers with their wolves?

To a greater or lesser degree, yes, but the amount of control varies widely.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Quite_a_Few_Questions

Archived