Would you wear your blue jeans for a year without washing them?

Fragile Bird

I live in hot and humid Florida. My "micro-climate", to quote Wise Fool, achieves planetary-wide status frequently. Therefore, the jeans must be sterilized to avoid catastrophic repercussions.

I don't know what the heck I just said. It's hot so I wash. :)

Always go with your first instinct!

Allow me to elucidate. The phenomenon, as you put it, usually happens while sitting down. Natural body heat is trapped between the ass crack and the seating surface, and sweating occurs. Because of the moist, humid micro-climate this causes, dampness along and inside of the anus can also accumulate (in much the same way that snow on mountains forms creeks, which eventually meet up with rivers and finally the ocean), permeating underwear and pants with an odor made from sweat combined with any condensed poo or fart particles (farticles, if you will).

Well, thanks. I think. :unsure:

During summer I wash my jeans maybe once every week or two, depending on wear. Mind you, I am not talking about wearing one pair every day for two weeks, rather I have several pairs, so each gets worn perhaps 2-4 times before getting washed. During the other seasons that length is multiplied by 1.5-2. If the jeans get any stains on them or they feel or smell dirty, they get washed immediately.

In my student years I have had pairs that weren't washed for months (again, each pair was worn perhaps 1/5 of the time) and as long as I wasn't digging ditches I didn't notice them being much dirtier than after 1-2 wears. Then again I lived in the Netherlands then, where all seasons are cool, so there isn't much sweating involved.

Speaking of sweating, someone mentioned ass sweat upthread. That would be a problem if you wear slippers. I only wear boxers that cover the entire ass-sweatable area, so my jeans never get any of that ;).

I never wear blue jeans so I can't contribute much to this thread except that now I can't get this song out of my head:

Money talks
But it don't sing and dance
And it don't walk
And long as I can have you
Here with me, I'd much rather be
Forever in blue jeans

I never wear blue jeans so I can't contribute much to this thread except that now I can't get this song out of my head:

Money talks

But it don't sing and dance

And it don't walk

And long as I can have you

Here with me, I'd much rather be

Forever in blue jeans

:P

Yeah, no. That's just gross. I'll wear my jeans twice, maybe three times max before I feel like they need a wash. Mind you, I'm one of those people who washes most clothes after every wear.

Same here, I usually won't wear a shirt more than twice and jeans no more than 3 times, usually. I only wear black jeans though :p I can't imagine not washing something for a year if you wear it regularly...

The whole concept is bizarre; it's like they've heard that thing about how hair is self-cleaning and just extrapolated it to jeans. Do jeans secrete cleansing oils to wash and replenish themselves? Are the manufacturers actually androids who don't sweat and have accidentally blown their cover?

Always go with your first instinct!

Allow me to elucidate. The phenomenon, as you put it, usually happens while sitting down. Natural body heat is trapped between the ass crack and the seating surface, and sweating occurs. Because of the moist, humid micro-climate this causes, dampness along and inside of the anus can also accumulate (in much the same way that snow on mountains forms creeks, which eventually meet up with rivers and finally the ocean), permeating underwear and pants with an odor made from sweat combined with any condensed poo or fart particles (farticles, if you will).

no apprentices this year

The whole concept is bizarre; it's like they've heard that thing about how hair is self-cleaning and just extrapolated it to jeans. Do jeans secrete cleansing oils to wash and replenish themselves? Are the manufacturers actually androids who don't sweat and have accidentally blown their cover?

Well if the claim is that "the amount of bacteria on a pair of blue jeans that haven't been washed for 18 months is about the same as on a pair of blue jeans that hasn't been washed for 2 weeks", all that really says to me is that you should be washing your jeans a hell of a lot more often than two weeks if you're wearing them daily.

Ass sweat, ball sweat, even forehead sweat that I'll wipe off on my thigh. Summer sucks. Always wash after a single wear. So I have to buy new jeans every couple of years. Oh well. I'd have thought clothing manufacturers would be happy about that.

depends on how hard I use them. If I am just wearing them to work once a week, then I might go 3-4 weeks but I'm still washing them with the random things that can happen to them - milk, two year old spilling things, etc.

This is weird for me because I'll wash every item of clothing except jeans (and jumpers) after every wear... Jeans I usually leave for a month or two before each wash unless they get dirty from a spill or something.

I do remember buying a pair of jeans from Burton's (British clothes store) that said, and I quote 'Don't Wash Me' on the tag :ack:

Archived