Would you wear your blue jeans for a year without washing them?

Fragile Bird

This is apparently the thing to do these days. According to an interview I heard on the radio, the Levis folk claim the amount of bacteria on a pair of blue jeans that haven't been washed for 18 months is about the same as on a pair of blue jeans that hasn't been washed for 2 weeks.

The Tommy Hilfiger folk are suggesting this as well. Save your blue jeans, save the environment, don't wash your blue jeans. They do point out that the kind of wear your blue jeans go through would make a difference, so if you dig ditches in your blue jeans you may want to wash them more often, but if you just wear them to the office or on weekends or out to dinner and a movie, why wash them.

I am not likely to test this thesis.

Don't Machine Wash Your Jeans

While a year may be taking things a bit far, washing as little as possible is the way to go with denim. You can spot clean in between washes to stretch it out even more. When you do have to wash always turn them inside out and then hang dry.

Some people I know wear clothes once, then wash them. Even blue jeans. I will go a couple of weeks before I wash my blue jeans, but not much more than that. Almost everything else gets washed after one wearing to maybe three or four wearings. Well, except sweaters, I try to wash them as little as possible so as not to destroy them, especially wool sweaters, and then they get hand washed.

I wash my jeans as little as possible, and when I do, I turn them inside out. It keeps them nice longer.

A year seems a bit much, though. I may go as long as a month. It's summer now, though, so I don't plan on wearing them.

ETA: I'd add that even the rest of the year, I'm not wearing the same pair all month long. I rotate between 3-4 pair.

T-shirts, socks, and underwear get washed after every wear.

Button up shirts and jeans get washed as needed.

I will usually wear a pair of jeans a good 4 or 5 times before washing unless I get sweaty and gross at some point while wearing them. I felt like I was pushing it a little bit by letting it go to 4 or 5 wears before putting them in the dirty laundry but I see that I'm apparently actually pretty liberal with my washings.

I wash my jeans very, very infrequently, and I wear them every day on a construction site, in all sorts of conditions. No problems, ever.

A year is longer than I've ever gone, but 3-4 weeks is pretty common. I have 2 pairs of work jeans, and I usually rotate them throughout the weeks. Obviously, this depends on what I'm doing (if they're covered in mud or something, that is another story). Generally, something like that happens and I'm forced to clean them, otherwise I'd definitely consider waiting far longer between washes.

I wash my jeans very, very infrequently, and I wear them every day on a construction site, in all sorts of conditions. No problems, ever.

A year is longer than I've ever gone, but 3-4 weeks is pretty common. I have 2 pairs of work jeans, and I usually rotate them throughout the weeks. Obviously, this depends on what I'm doing (if they're covered in mud or something, that is another story). Generally, something like that happens and I'm forced to clean them, otherwise I'd definitely consider waiting far longer between washes.

I knew I liked you, Limey. Little did I know it was because of ass sweat.

Seriously, what's this ass sweat phenomenon you all are speaking of? On second thought, never mind.

I usually wear a pair of jeans for 4 or 5 days in a row before washing them unless I wore them to work in the warehouse or it was a particularly hot day and I was sweating a lot, then I'll wash them immediately.

Even going a full week seems like too long for me.

I knew I liked you, Limey. Little did I know it was because of ass sweat.

Seriously, what's this ass sweat phenomenon you all are speaking of? On second thought, never mind.

Always go with your first instinct!

Allow me to elucidate. The phenomenon, as you put it, usually happens while sitting down. Natural body heat is trapped between the ass crack and the seating surface, and sweating occurs. Because of the moist, humid micro-climate this causes, dampness along and inside of the anus can also accumulate (in much the same way that snow on mountains forms creeks, which eventually meet up with rivers and finally the ocean), permeating underwear and pants with an odor made from sweat combined with any condensed poo or fart particles (farticles, if you will).

I wash my jeans however often I sweat badly, which I do much more often than once a year. Its not even necessarily ass sweat, although that can be a factor, but I can sweat horribly from right behind my knees.

All I can say on this is ...ewwww, I heard the same basically, and that you should only wash your Blue jeans twice a year. Not the whole bacteria thing tho. For me after wearing my blue jeans I have to wash and dry to get them snug in right places again. Now that I know this new bit of info every time I see someone wearing blue jeans i'll be wondering when they washed them last. And being a woman and knowing how high maintnence it is and should be.......... to keep girly parts so fresh and so clean, as I like to be........ yeah for a lack of good way of putting this i'll leave the rest to the imagination :unsure:

Archived