What's for Dinner #4 - Is it tasty? Is it crunchable?

Tears of Lys

Apparently it's American comfort food weekend at Casa Ini. For lunch, inspired by a friend's suggestion and the cold weather, I made homemade tomato soup, alongside a grilled cheese sandwich made with fresh Italian bread and sharp cheddar, garnished with some torn basil leaves.

Apparently it's American comfort food weekend at Casa Ini. For lunch, inspired by a friend's suggestion and the cold weather, I made homemade tomato soup, alongside a grilled cheese sandwich made with fresh Italian bread and sharp cheddar, garnished with some torn basil leaves.

sounds nice. i love a grilled cheese. try a couple or even a few cheeses. something that melts nice like a gouda with a bit of grated grana padana are a nice combo.

Gotta make something for a potluck brunch next weekend. Eggs are my jam but I don't think I can depend on cooking fresh there, so probably can't do that -- not at all confident anything hot will work, really. Suggestions? Current best thought is granola, but it seems a shame not to bring the best part of fresh granola, which is making the place where it was baked smell awesome.

Mrs. Larry made a soup with barley, chicken broth, carrots and onions, garlic, thyme, and some other stuff unknown to me. There was some heat in there and I bet it was cayenne. Topped off with some shredded mild cheddar.

Steamed greenbeans and french bread served with.

Lagunitas Sucks for beverage.

----

unrelated question:

Is there anything in eggs that will kill you? I've been on like, a 4 egg a day habit for the last couple of weeks and it's been really enjoyable, but I feel like for health reasons I need to snuff this joy-ride before it gets out of control.

Mrs. Larry made a soup with barley, chicken broth, carrots and onions, garlic, thyme, and some other stuff unknown to me. There was some heat in there and I bet it was cayenne. Topped off with some shredded mild cheddar.

Steamed greenbeans and french bread served with.

Lagunitas Sucks for beverage.

----

unrelated question:

Is there anything in eggs that will kill you? I've been on like, a 4 egg a day habit for the last couple of weeks and it's been really enjoyable, but I feel like for health reasons I need to snuff this joy-ride before it gets out of control.

I could be wrong, but I think egg yolks are fairly high in cholesterol.

Gotta make something for a potluck brunch next weekend. Eggs are my jam but I don't think I can depend on cooking fresh there, so probably can't do that -- not at all confident anything hot will work, really. Suggestions? Current best thought is granola, but it seems a shame not to bring the best part of fresh granola, which is making the place where it was baked smell awesome.

How far are you traveling? You could make a bread pudding or strata, out of the oven and to your destination if it's not too far.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/bobby-flay/caramelized-onion-spinach-and-gruyere-cheese-strata-with-sauteed-cherry-tomatoes.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-toast-bread-pudding-recipe.html

Or a quiche which you can make the night before

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/basic-quiche

Or fresh from the oven scones and some lemon curd (store bought)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cranberry-orange-scones-recipe.html

(I've made this recipe minus the glaze because I served them with curd)

Or a pumpkin bread

Do you know what course you're supposed to bring? Appetizer? Main? Soup? Salad? Dessert? Is it brunch, lunch, or dinner?

Appetizer - some kind of dip, like a hummus or baba ganoush is always safe. Or you can go with a fresh salsa. If it's a brunch, go with a fresh fruit salad.

Main - like Kair said, depends on the distance you're traveling. For brunch I second the option of a quiche. For lunch, get 2 loafs of long baquette and build your own sandwich. For dinner, Some kind of casserole will be good. You can do a Mac'n'cheese from scratch and it'll be a hit.

I could be wrong, but I think egg yolks are fairly high in cholesterol.

They are high in cholesterol, however the tie between high cholesterol levels and heart problems is far from settled science, and the tie between high cholesterol foods and cholesterol levels is tenuous at best.

I wouldn't be concerned about eating too many eggs unless you're eating organic, in which case you should be concerned about the impact it has on your pocketbook ;)

Nox, that is old advice that has just stuck around. Like Aceluby said, there is no real definitive proof. We've taught to fear fat and cholesterol by the dogma of one scientist that ignored other possibilities. I'm currently reading a book on his research methods now and they are atrocious.

Nox, that is old advice that has just stuck around. Like Aceluby said, there is no real definitive proof. We've taught to fear fat and cholesterol by the dogma of one scientist that ignored other possibilities. I'm currently reading a book on his research methods now and they are atrocious.

Right? Just terrible science that has been passed on as gospel for 40 years while our country went from normal to obese. Coincidence?

Archived