What's for Dinner #4 - Is it tasty? Is it crunchable?

Tears of Lys

Red Lentil soup. Vegetarian except for chicken and veg stock.

Ini, I have a couple of breakfast things. Usually cook them for elevensies because I have coffee and coffee early.

German pancakes. Mum's recipe uses six eggs and less flour and is called a dutch baby. You can serve it savory or sweet. It is an oven baked egg-milk flour-butter dish. RICH.

Oatmeal. I particularly love steel cut oats. Cook the night before and just heat up in the morning and add fresh or frozen berries. Brown sugar, butter honey, cottage cheese, chedder, maple syrup and / or salt to taste.

Grits. Grits are delicious.

Grits are lovely with leftover meat and cheese.

I have a new love of grits after spending forEVER making risotto.

Breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs and anything else sauteed separately. Fresh parsley or cilantro. Sriracha.

Huevos rancheros with leftover burrito food. Eggs must be poached. I poach mine by cracking them into hot water and pulling them out with a slotted spoon.

Fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Elvis was right. This is the perfect food.

Pancakes with roasted or sauteed apples and cottage cheese, goat cheese or plain yoghurt. Not quick unless you have the apple compote premade.

Daddy makes crepes. I do not. But they are LOVELY for breakfast after eating many of them for dinner stuffed with chicken and vegetables and smothered in mushroom gravy. In the morning, the leftovers are warmed and wrapped around fruit. nice.

Breakfast:

My standard spread of breakfast/brunch when friends visit include:

1. Orange craisin scones

2. Mixed fruit salad

3. Pancakes, plain but fluffy and soft and yummy

4. Bacon. D'uh.

5. Eggs to order - scrambled or over easy

Usually the sequence goes - get up around 8:30, start the scones, once they're oven, start the prep for fruit salad. Once that's done, the scones are done too. Then fry up bacon, make coffee, and people are getting up slowly, around 9:30. Feed the early risers fruit salad. Prepare pancake batter and start making pancakes (keep in still-warm oven after scone done baking), when people are ready, do the eggs to order. Feast, around 10:30.

Some days when I feel ambitious I might do a French Toast or I might do a quiche Loraine the night before. Have also done omelettes before, with incredients laid out and people can choose the filling. Also done fresh made cinnamon rolls - that's a lot of work imo.

Operation Learn-To-Cook is going rather well, and has kicked into high gear the last couple of weeks. I've started to actually enjoy cooking rather than forcing myself to do it, and I've tried a few things outside my initial comfort zone. Even though I'm still clumsy as hell in the kitchen and screw things up constantly. So far nothing catastrophic has occurred though. Some things I've made recently:

Chicken Tikka Masala (Not so great, misread the recipe and used way too much cumin)

Chicken Tikka Masala take 2, way better.

Chicken Pot Pie, a childhood favorite. Mom's is better :P

Coconut Curry Shrimp, probably my favorite thing I've made so far.

From tonight, Apple Cider Glazed Pork Chops.

None of it is very pretty looking, but aside from the botched Tikka it was all pretty delicious. I also made a Shepherd's Pie, Chocolate Creme Pie and Leftovers Fried Rice that I didn't take pictures of. Please ignore the lack of veggies :P (there were some in the pies!). I know I need to implement them more often but I always get wrapped up in the main part of the dish and forget about them >.>

Looks good enough to eat!

How did you make the chicken pot pie? My dad's been requesting one.

Looks good enough to eat!

How did you make the chicken pot pie? My dad's been requesting one.

Followed this recipe from a friend :)

Pot Pie

1 pillisbury refrigerated pie crust

FILLING

1/3 cup margarine or butter

â…“ cup flour

1/3 cup chopped onion

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/1/2 cups chicken broth

2/3 cups milk

2 1/2 cups cut up cooked chicken or turkey

2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed

Heat oven to 425. Prepare pie crust as directed on package for two-crust pie using 9 inch pie pan.

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook until tender. Add flour, salt and pepper;

stir until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.

Add chicken and mixed vegetables; mix well. Remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into

into crust lined pie pan. Top with second crust; seal edges and flute. Cut slits in several places in

top crust.

Bake 425 for 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

If I am doing breakfast-breakfast, it's either eggs (scrambled, fried, or boiled, the scrambled often done with some grilled mushrooms or peppers, grilling them first then adding the eggs) or cold or hot cereal. But quite often I do reverse days, where I eat a supper item for breakfast, like some kind of stew or soup, and end the day with breakfast. :)

Today's farmers market take: quart white mushroom, pound of organic onions, 4 large lovely Asian pears (or as we call them, "pears"), two heads organic heirloom garlic, dozen large brown free range eggs, 1 oz each catnip, chamomile flowers, culinary rosebuds, and herbes de Provence. Two small tight purple cabbage, 1 quart beautiful orange habanero peppers, grown locally in West Philadelphia, 1 quart beets for roasting, 5 pounds beef bones for stock, a 2lb sirloin steak for which I paid much more money than I should have, and a 3 lbchuck roast, similarly expensive. Hey, every now and then you have to splurge, and it's my birthday week. Oh, and a quart of mixed fancy mushrooms -- shitake, chanterelle, lion's mane, crimini, etc. I don't know what I'm going to make, but it will have lovely colors.

I had French Onion soup at a local restaurant, which boasts the best FO soup around here.

I learned from a young age that one must be within running distance of a restroom when eating FO soup. That holds true to this day.

ETA: And when I say running, I mean waddling, with haste.

my dear wife has commissioned me to make meatloaf, mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts for dinner. i accept her challenge!

the meat loaf shall be pork and beef studded with bacon. my mashed potatoes are the perfect balance of butter and potato. the brussels will be roasted and finished with more bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup.

i found two apples in the fridge and have added a dessert of tart tatin.

Archived