MLB Offseason : Awards Abound

kairparavel

New Chief Troll Commissioner of Major League Baseball considering banning The Shift

Yes, he really did say

Inject additional offense into the game.

Tee Hee Hee

Tee Hee Hee

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Is that not the worst possible choice of words for him in this situation or what?

Pretty sure your predecessor already tried that one, broseph. Well okay technically he only turned a willing blind eye while everyone else tried it and then put on a dog and pony show of trying to stop it when we as a collective got upset about it.

So, do we de facto ban Miguel Cabrerra or Mike Trout from the Hall Of Fame and tar & feather them with asterisks when they start to hit .400 because nobody's allowed to shift against them anymore? Or does this ruin the sanctity of the record book in a good way? :drunk:

Inject more offense into the game.

I might die of irony before pitchers and catchers report.

It's an odd numbered year, I was going to feel bad anyway.

Just being pro-active.

I really hope the baseball gods don't take poor Joe Panik as their sacrificial 2nd baseman this year. He's too young. :(

Banning the shift will never happen because it's an incredibly ridiculous idea. It's hard to believe that anyone familiar with the game of baseball would even consider, let alone suggest, the idea. And how would we define the shift anyway? Would the SS/2B have to be on the wrong side of the bag for it to officially be a shift? What about 3B/1B playing the line, or the infield playing a double play depth? Would those be considered a shift? And speaking of, if the goal here is to "inject offense" why don't we ban the double play?

Pfft. It would be easy enough to define the shift as requiring three fielders on either side of second base and requiring two on each side be within say 20 feet of the baselines between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd.

That having been said, it is a bad idea.

The reality is that the hitters bring it on themselves by not taking the free singles every time the opponents do it. Start getting to 1st with a .800 BA and the shift ends quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

There used to be this baseball card game back is the early 2000s that I loved to play called MLB Showdown. It was discontinued in 2005, however it looks like a new edition with current players has been released. As far as I can tell the rules are pretty much identical to the original game. Go here to look at the new edition: http://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/2rhae8/mlb_clutch_card_game_teaser_feedback_and/ and Google MLB Showdown if you want to know how to play the original game. I thought it was very realistic and I had a lot of fun playing it and still do with the cards I have. I encourage any baseball fan to check it out as the best way for it to succeed is to gain support.

• 2 weeks later...

Red Sox win the Yoan Moncada sweepstakes, shelling out $31.5 million (plus a 100% tax) for the Cuban super prospect.

It's a little weird to me to see them throwing money at this kid after trying to nickel and dime Lester at this time last year, but fuck it, that's a pretty exciting signing.

Archived