NFL Week 14- The Cowboys break their streak!

Trebla

Yes, definitely interesting. I have a question for those who are more familiar with Brady than I am (or really anyone who cares to comment): has he always been this demonstrative when things don't go his way and they're just showing it more now or is this something relatively new? It could certainly be that I simply haven't noticed it before but I just wonder...

Yes he has. Patriots fans call it the Manning Face

I'm giving you a 1 time opportunity to turn me into a Kentucky fan.

The only college basketball team I regularly follow is USC, so sell me on Kentucky.

In between my tears over the Niners debacle, I managed to write you a response. Rather than derail this thread, I put it in the college bball thread.

I'll cross my fingers and say a prayer before I go to bed now. ;)

I can't seem to find any current articles explaining why Phillip Rivers is the only choice for MVP. It's so weird, it's like I was practically drowning in them in early October, but now I can't find them anywhere!

Gosh, it's almost like the Chargers played very well for a stretch of the season, then played like shit for another stretch of the season... Who could have foreseen such an occurrence?

At least the INT was real.

*backs out of the room slowly*

:thumbsup:

I was trying to work out something about 'I heard Brady thought there was no one on the other side, but Te'o has lots of experience in this kind of situation...' :dunce:

I am disappointed.

12 straight 10+ win seasons for the Pats. That is a crazy accomplishment for B&B. Is that the league record?

Probably, since the 16 game season is only been around since 1978.

Tom Landry does hold the record with the Cowboys at 20 winning seasons in a row.

It's not the league record. The 49ers hold that with 16 seasons.

Gotta say I'm very impressed with the pats defense. They're playing like seattle was last year. This is a much more complete pats team than we've seen in a while - a team that is good at running, good at defense and good at passing. They've not looked this good since 2007. If Gronk stays healthy they're gonna get to the superbowl.

I have a question for those who are more familiar with Brady than I am (or really anyone who cares to comment): has he always been this demonstrative when things don't go his way and they're just showing it more now or is this something relatively new? It could certainly be that I simply haven't noticed it before but I just wonder.

Brady has always been "demonstrative" especially in celebration - I was recently re watching the 2001 playoff game v. the Raiders (the "Properly Decided Rule" Game ... or "Tuck Rule" game, whatever you want to call it) and he was a huge cheerleader in that game.

But in recent years- 2009 onwards - I have noticed that Brady has been more effusive with his anger and outbursts. Most times, I think he is justified, and of those times he seems to be angry at himself a good deal of the time. But there are other times where I find his complaints to be boarder-line Marino-esque. He will just go off on guys. The classic was in IIRC 2011 and they were at home against- IIRC the Cowboys or the Chargers and he threw a pass that was picked and he began chewing out the 4th string WR who he was throwing to (Brady's argument seemed to be that the WR should have fought for the ball more). Regardless, while Brady was screaming at the guy, the OC - Billy O'Brien- came over and basically told Tom to shut the fuck up, which was absolutely the right call.

Last season I thought Brady's outbursts were usually justified given the utter lack of WR help he had.

Otherwise, great win for the Pats who showed that their D is nails. Brady played his second "meh" game in a row, but enough to win.

I'll have more after I get done writing my 300 page letter to the NFL on how terrible that call was on Browner for "Hitting a guy in the chest with your shoulder"

Rather than do my job, I'm taking this moment to ask the question that needs to be asked.

So, Johnny 8ball or Hoyer the Dstoyer?

I hate the punk ass little fucker, but... if Hoyer is the answer, I want to know if his mom is asking the question.

Let's face it, Hoyer hoyered Cleveland into a loss yesterday. I've never seen such a heartbreaking loss, (you can bet your fucking ass I enjoyed it, though) I personally never thought the game was in jeopardy until Boom Herron initially got stuffed on that 4th and inch attempt.

He bounced it out and converted, setting up a T.Y. Hilton go-ahead TD.

I feel for Brian, and there's no doubt that he's been getting pressured a lot and the running game hasn't been great since Mack went down, not to mention a lot of trouble with the forcing of passes to Josh Gordon or the ineffectiveness of Cameron Jordon (or is it Jordon Cameron, I can never remember which one is the TE) wasn't working in his favor. But at some point, the writing is on the fucking wall.

Tim Tebow could have got the Browns a W yesterday, and I say that with all sincerity. No offensive coordinator would ask T-Dizzle to put the ball in the air 31 times, and if there's anything T-Bortion could do, it was hit inexplicably open receivers who'd gotten behind the sleeping secondary. Remember, a fieldgoal instead of the INT from inside the 5 yard line, and the Colts are begging for a tie on that last drive. This isn't a plea for Tebow, it's an indictment of Hoyer.

Mannyzelle, though... :ack: He represents everything I hate in an athlete celebrity. A fratboy dudebrah mentality backed up by physical talent that people would kill for... but he's not actually good enough for the sport. Fuck Johnathan, and I hope he gets hit by a bus. However... the kid may have a mediocre arm, is undersized, and can't read defenses for shit, but he's probably a better option than Hoyer right now. At the same time, if Hoyer's problem is turnovers, I'm not sure John's the solution. It's possible he'll improvise some plays or make some lanes on some kind of read option, but the kid holds the ball funky (is it just me, or does he have little hands? And have I asked that question before?) and I doubt his ability to keep the ball off the turf.

If it were my call... I'd go with Hoyer. The Browns are still in the hunt, and could actually still take the division. I'd lock Hoyer and Gordon in a film room with Shannahan for 3 days with nothing to eat except Taco Bell delivered through the ceiling tiles. Then I'd lock them in the practice bubble until Hoyer can hit Gordon on every route in the tree blindfolded a la Tom Brady and Randy Moss in 2007. Then we'd go with a run-exclusive gameplan that features passes exclusively to Gordon only when we've got a single-high look, and is checked at the line. I'm talking runs on 3rd and long, quarterback draws on 4th and 5, and jet sweeps to Isaiah Crowell while Terrence West is in the backfield as a distraction.

I'd bring out the fucking wishbone offense if that's what it took. But the fact is that the Browns have a legitimate chance to win the North for the first time since I've been watching football, and they need to eliminate the variables at play and make these 3 remaining games ugly as fuck and grind it out. Because if they're down multiple scores and Hoyer chokes again, they can insert Manziel to flip the script and try to get nonsense points if that's what you need. But if Manziel starts fumbling all over the place and the score gets out of hand, then Hoyer is not the guy who's gonna create some wacky plays to drag you back into a contest.

Really, the Browns have a shot here and they can't afford to fuck it up by going to a rookie who comes in with all manner of question marks. The loss today hurts, but it was to the # 3 seed in the conference. You shit the bed, and should feel extremely disappointed, but it wasn't that long ago that taking a good/great team to the wire in Cleveland was considered a victory. And the way things are shaping up, I think Cleveland takes the cake if they win out. And I think they can win out.

I see it going like this:

Bengals, 8-4-1:

@Browns (?)

Denver [in Primetime] (L)

@Steelers (L)

Ravens, 8-5:

Jaguars (W)

@Houston (...W...?)

Browns (?)

Steelers, 8-5:

@Falcons (L)

Chiefs (L)

Bengals (W)

Browns, 7-6:

Bengals

@Panthers

@Ravens

If the Steelers drop 1 game (I picked them to lose to Atlanta because they match up like shit, and they've lost to every other team in the NFC South), Denver crushes the shit out of Dalton in primetime, then Cleveland wins the division if they win out by virtue of tiebreakers with the Ravens due to divisional wins.

I don't particularly want the Browns in the playoffs, especially since I live for the Andy Dalton playoff meltdown every year, but this is the best shot they've had since 2007, which was the best shot they'd had since before I was 15.

Interesting playoff races this year due to the most competitive division favorite having had a tie with the most pathetic division... participant?

The Ravens have the easiest remaining schedule, so they might take one of them. Hopefully the Bengals get the other one, since the Steelers have a decent shot at winning the division now.

Steelers have to win out. I can't see them doing that.

Archived