Football XXXII - Wenger In, Out? Shake It All About

Spockydog

Meanwhile in the only football competition that really matters the little club that could, Auckland FC, continues to be The World's true footballing heroes by going to Morrocco and not just defeating local heroes Tetouan but then going on and three days later beating the Algerian champions ES Setif - the best club side on the African continent - to advance to a semi-final showdown against Argentine giants San Lorenzo - the best club side on the American continent. Know how many non-pro teams are at the FIFA Club World Cup this year? One. They're called Auckland FC.

If ... uh ... I mean, when ... Auckland FC beats Club Atletico San Lorenzo de Almagro (Viggo Mortenson's favourite club) they will most likely play another little club called Real Madrid (Viggo's other favourite club ... also Tom Cruise's).

Coming back after a long injury, and then being asked to play in a position that he's never played in before, I think Debuchy has gone through his initiation at Arsenal. I thought he did okay against Newcastle. Liverpool at Anfield will probably be a different story.

More importantly though, Woj made a couple of really good saves before halftime to keep it at 1-0.

Debuchy did well although having just seen the match he was never really put to the test.

Our centreback problem is maddening considering that we now have our fullbacks sorted out. Gibbs/Monreal at LB and Debuchy/Bellerin at RB is a good squad considering Bellerin's performance yesterday. Debuchy healthy again really strengthens that RB slot and frees up Chambers for CB duties, but we're still struggling up the middle.

Koscielny's Achilles is likely to be a long term problem where he'll be in and out, and Mertesacker has had indifferent form all season. Chambers picking up lots of yellows and getting suspended doesn't help either. We really do need a fourth CB, even if it's just a cheap short-term solution. Monreal or Debuchy can cover in an emergency but there really should be more options so they're not being played out of position (and therefore weakening the depth in the LB/RB positions).

I know Wenger says that there's no quality CB out there to buy but surely there are options out there, even just a veteran on the cheap - I guess the same type of business that he did getting Kallstrom on loan last season.

Prepping myself to watch the early game with a bunch of United and Liverpool fans. Already excited about them all arguing about which club is the biggest, despite the fact both are irrelevant in this new blue City/Chelsea age. Red is so passe these days.

know Wenger says that there's no quality CB out there to buy but surely there are options out there, even just a veteran on the cheap - I guess the same type of business that he did getting Kallstrom on loan last season.

To be fair to him, he's said in three different interviews that they need to buy a player in January.

Archived