Dating 22: Because everyone likes romantic hugs

Littlefingers In The Air

Larry, thems fightin' words. I was raised by a now 35 year member of the brotherhood of masons and plasterers and Fury Sr. is a paragon of masculine virtue and coolness. You don't want to find out what I'll do to anyone who says different.

larry, i never thought you were a scabby linecrossing strikebreaker. when'd you go lumpenized antisocial nihilist on us?

Union here is mostly relegated themselves to commercial work until the bubble burst, but since then they've been encroaching on us bucolic types, slashing tires, demanding protection $ etc, for just being. If they actually did good work around here and let up on the vandalism I'd join the union in a heartbeat. The number of union guys that have tried to build a fireplace and ended up with a smoker that i've had to go in and fix is legion. I build a quality product and am sick of ingrate wannabe bricktossers rolling in and undercutting me.

When I was in San Diego union seemed like decent bunch. Here it's just a protectionist guild kicking the $ up to the old time gangsters.

eta: they aren't interested in getting jobs for the most workers, or even the most qualified workers, it's really 3 big union companies bashing wages down to get the most skilled poorly paid labor force possible. between the dues, travel times, and knucklehead-macho politics required to get 40 hours, i'd rather freelance it.

Speaking of, let's say you had several promising dates with someone and had someone else messaging you that seemed like an interesting and reasonable person but not right now. However, they would be perfect for a single friend of yours with similar interests. Is it cool to set someone up if you met them online? My friend is hotter than me. :P

I... have been wondering this for you, Theda. Because I've never met you, and I've also never met this guy who lives in Bristol (because he lives in Bristol) who I met on OKCupid and have been messaging on Facebook, or to be more accurate he's been messaging me on Facebook but I'm not really feeling it and my not-a-relationship is going pretty well right now - but I kind of feel like you two might get along, and also live much closer to each other. Would that be weird?

Edit: Never mind, I have decided that would be weird :P Also if he turned out to break your heart and/or murder you, I would feel terribly responsible.

I rarely find other people as weird as I find myself so dont worry about that lol

I actually found this a bit hilarious but mostly nice that you thought of me lol - PM me his profile on okc might reactivate my account for the evening to check it out hahahah unless you meant weird FOR HIM in which case i might be inclined to agree :p as he'd be landed with ME

What are your thoughts on dating friends exes?

Personally, I'm all for it; they are exes for a reason.

Context and circumstances. I'd personally never date a good friends first love, for example. But some girl that a friend dated for a few months or perhaps didn't even date, but simply talked to without going anywhere? I'd feel no shame dating a woman like that.

What are your thoughts on dating friends exes?

Personally, I'm all for it; they are exes for a reason.

It depends. I would never be ok with my friends dating my first ex. Too many bad memories and feelings there, I'd probably flip an stop talkig to that friend. My second ex? Don't give a fuck at all. My third 'ex'/fwb? Debatable, maybe after awhile but right now (still quite fresh ending) I'd probably have an issue with it though not as extreme as the first one.

Speaking of my 3rd, she's friends with all my flatmates so we still see eachother even though we called things off. Yesterday she came around and a mutual friend started talking to her about a guy shes probably gonna start dating soon, and I didnt wanna hear it so went to my room and had an early night. Was that being unreasonable? She texted me this morning asking why I disappeared and I just said I didn't feel like being sociable. But now I feel like a dick for just walking off

A close friend gets Right of Approval before I'll date his ex, though I'll word it informationally since there is no actual ownership.

Anything less than a close friend gets Right of Information.

Basically, I've already decided whether or not my friend being uncomfortable is enough to discourage me. If I am thinking "RoI" I am thinking, "if you aren't okay with it, I'm going to cut YOU out and move ahead". If the friendship is an important one to me to where I'd choose the friend over the date, then I'll put up a trial balloon to see how things stand.

If the relationship had ended poorly and the ex was a douche,and we are talking best friends, then I would say that's no go. You owe it to your friend to be on their side rather than seeming to pick the douche and potentially bring them back into their life.

As a general rule as long as they are over the person it's fine.

You never have to entertain a conversation BF. Ever. You are not a "dick". Especially if the conversation was upsetting in ANY WAY.

If you care about the friendship, listen to everyone else on the board. They are all better at feelings stuff than I am.

Fucking exes-

This comes up a lot since we have a pretty small pool here. I have had a lot of trouble with my female friends about sharing my fwb. Basically I share and then they have a "boyfriend". After that doesn't work out, I lose a lover and friend is unhappy. Lose-lose-lose

Otherwise, we have all had sex, have sex, will have sex with the same people. It's no big deal.

For the odd Albatross, hands off. My best friend and Mr. Fling will NOT be dating. She knows i am still upset about that. For me, giving up a fwb who turned into her cryptonite was a no-brainer.

We are all (all of us) still friends with each other. We respect the rules, even if they are stupid.

Speaking of, let's say you had several promising dates with someone and had someone else messaging you that seemed like an interesting and reasonable person but not right now. However, they would be perfect for a single friend of yours with similar interests. Is it cool to set someone up if you met them online? My friend is hotter than me. :P

Totally OK.

If the relationship had ended poorly and the ex was a douche,and we are talking best friends, then I would say that's no go. You owe it to your friend to be on their side rather than seeming to pick the douche and potentially bring them back into their life.

As a general rule as long as they are over the person it's fine.

I agree. I wouldn't let my friends date my dbag exes. I also wouldn't date my friends' exes, because usually I hate everyone my friends date because they have really bad taste in men. If they happened upon dating someone who didn't suck, then all bets are off, and same for my non-douchy exes. The others (particularly my first love) can be nuked. That guy was an emotionally abusive manipulative asshole. I like his family (his sister is one of my sister's friends and his mom is wonderful) but from what I've heard he's still an asshole 13 years later. Even if he is working on curing cancer.

Archived