What is really annoying you today 2.0: Pigeons, smokers and cyclists abound

Buckwheat

Friends, people, and a professor in the past week using the word 'rape' to describe stuff. It really gets on my nerves, and even if I call people out on it, I usually get the 'that's not what I meant' schtick

Nymeria, if it's still possible to change the decision/her mind, I have to strongly recommend that your mother gets a professional interpreter (which should be provided free of charge to her) for her court case, rather than you doing it. I say that because my dad's a court interpreter, and even though I speak fluent English and Polish I could never do his job without preparation (I trained for it briefly but stumbled at the first step because my formal Polish isn't good enough). They're not going to accommodate you at all, timewise, and trying to keep up can get hard. Probably be easier for you if you know law language, but you have to know it without hesitation in both languages.

That said, it does depend on the company that supplies them in your area. There was a brief moment where we live where my dad wasn't working because to save money the government decided to hire a much cheaper company that doesn't require its interpreters to train. It was a train crash. So in that instance you as someone with law training would probably be better. Research is necessary.

I'm not too sure but my mum was told by her lawyer that she could choose someone. Naturally she chose me, the one with the best english and soon to be law graduate. It's practice I guess :dunno:

Well basically I'm good at essay writing and he's not. It's the technique he wants to learn. Well what does he go to class for then? So... I'm expected to be the good sister and help. I've told my mum to let him just do his own thing and be independent, he needs to stop relying on me to get everything done for him (with regards to applications and stuff like that, usually) but she always says 'oh, he can't do it himself, he's weak and dependent, please do it for him' well the reason he's like that is because she didn't let him do anything himself, as the elder child and the only one who is really good with english and writing (my dad has horrid writing) I always dealt with paperwork, since I was about 13 I think. So he never had to do anything. And now she's saying he can't and I should do it. Um no, he's 18, he's capable of doing it himself.

Both my exes are irritating the fuck out of me today for different reasons. Now I understand that they're exes for a reason and communication with them is a bad thing.

Well, at least he wants to learn ... the best way to do it is let him do most of it. Maybe just let him write it himself as he knows best and then read it over to offer constructive criticism? That would be less time-consuming for you, and a better learning experience for him. :)

From what Polish said - the court should provide an interpreter for free - I agree with her a professional interpreter would be a better option. Not to diminsh your wish to help out, of course. I know of some people who have been studying translation for three years and did not get into the master programme of interpreting that requires an interpreting entrance exam. Somebody with experience and education in it should be able to do it swifter and better than you.

Good luck with all in any case. :)

I'm annoyed Buckwheat hasn't updated us on the latest annoying antics of her roommates. Come on, Bucky, tell us more! Your stories fill me with such nostalgia.

:lol: Actually today nothing annoying has been done by my roommates. The kitchen was relatively clean when I went there for dinner and I exchanged some words with the guy from the next room. No sight of my actual roommate still, which is nice - I am starting to wonder if I will have the whole room for myself for the whole semester ... would be too nice, paying for a shared room and actually getting my own ... ;)

To stay on topic, I was annoyed by rain today.

Nymeria, if it's still possible to change the decision/her mind, I have to strongly recommend that your mother gets a professional interpreter (which should be provided free of charge to her) for her court case, rather than you doing it. I say that because my dad's a court interpreter, and even though I speak fluent English and Polish I could never do his job without preparation (I trained for it briefly but stumbled at the first step because my formal Polish isn't good enough). They're not going to accommodate you at all, timewise, and trying to keep up can get hard. Probably be easier for you if you know law language, but you have to know it without hesitation in both languages.

That said, it does depend on the company that supplies them in your area. There was a brief moment where we live where my dad wasn't working because to save money the government decided to hire a much cheaper company that doesn't require its interpreters to train. It was a train crash. So in that instance you as someone with law training would probably be better. Research is necessary.

It's not too late, we're meeting the lawyer next Wednesday. My mum is planning to raise that question at the meeting so I'll discuss the option of hiring a professional instead, it would be smoother. Now even though I'm a law student I have little idea how courts work because we don't study that kind of thing on the course really, it's more theoretical. I tried mooting once last year and failed miserably. Probably not my thing. And my mum seems to think it involves me listening to what my mum says to me in our native language and then repeating it to the court in english. I will probably understand the gist of what's going on since I know some legal jargon but probably not enough to do the job properly. Thanks :)

Well, at least he wants to learn ... the best way to do it is let him do most of it. Maybe just let him write it himself as he knows best and then read it over to offer constructive criticism? That would be less time-consuming for you, and a better learning experience for him. :)

From what Polish said - the court should provide an interpreter for free - I agree with her a professional interpreter would be a better option. Not to diminsh your wish to help out, of course. I know of some people who have been studying translation for three years and did not get into the master programme of interpreting that requires an interpreting entrance exam. Somebody with experience and education in it should be able to do it swifter and better than you.

Good luck with all in any case. :)

Good idea. I'll tell him to do that, I have enough to be getting on with..

No, you're right. It's too much pressure on me, I have no formal training and I could fuck it up because I get nervous in such situations and can't speak. I can't imagine the absolute horror I'd go through if I lost my words and didn't know what to say. It's happened before but not in a situation like this, always more informal situations. I don't want to risk it. And why should I do it when I can get a professional for free. I think the lawyer meant an interpreter can be provided if needed and my mum misunderstood to mean she could choose anyone.

Thanks! It should all be over by 24th March hopefully.

Observation: meatbags who cycle annoy everyone, they have spread across the world like a foul plague.

Addition: I approve of cyclist meatbags, nothing else brings out other meatbags urge to kill than a cyclist.

Observation: meatbags who cycle annoy everyone, they have spread across the world like a foul plague.

Addition: I approve of cyclist meatbags, nothing else brings out other meatbags urge to kill than a cyclist.

Correction: nothing brings out the urge to kill so much as being a cyclist. Stupid meatbag or loquacious jumped up toaster alike. Can't wait to get on the bike again!

What's annoying me today... people referring to actors by the name of a character they played once instead of their actual real name. This was fired by the Better Call Saul thread where loads of people are calling Kerry Condon "Octavia".

I don't know why it annoys me - I do it myself when I regularly refer to Kyle Chandler as "Coach Taylor" - But annoy me it does, so here we are.

What's annoying me today... people referring to actors by the name of a character they played once instead of their actual real name. This was fired by the Better Call Saul thread where loads of people are calling Kerry Condon "Octavia".

I don't know why it annoys me - I do it myself when I regularly refer to Kyle Chandler as "Coach Taylor" - But annoy me it does, so here we are.

I completely understand what you're saying and second it.

Nothing is annoying me today.... yet. It's only 9:45 am so there's plenty of opportunities to breach my good mood.

My mum's case is against a douchebag cyclist who's taken her to court over practically nothing. So our urge to kill is definitely there, he was very nasty and rude too.

Correction: nothing brings out the urge to kill so much as being a cyclist. Stupid meatbag or loquacious jumped up toaster alike. Can't wait to get on the bike again!

Correction: I am never wrong, my programming means my observations are infallible.

My mum's case is against a douchebag cyclist who's taken her to court over practically nothing. So our urge to kill is definitely there, he was very nasty and rude too.

Query: Why is this lycra loving meatbag still consuming oxygen?.

Archived