Foreign shows

Hugorfonics

I'll second Borgen.

Otherwise:

Hatufim: The Israeli series Homeland is loosely based on. It is less focussed on the spy stuff (but this aspect still exists) and focuses more on how the former soldiers try to integrate themselves into society and on what they've been through. It also shows how their family members have dealt with their absences. In general the psychological aspects and the trauma are more important than in the US version. There are some exetremely brutal torture scenes, though. 

Deutschland 83: A German Television series about a soldier from East Germany who is send to spy on West Germany. It takes place in 1983. Shows how the protagonist tries to deal with conflicts of loyalty and how he tries to evade his discovery. Also shows quite a bit about the attitude and the lifestyle of both parts of Germany at that time. Was praised by critics, but didn't attract many viewers. 

Flashpoint: Canadian series about a elite team of the Toronto police force that deals with situations like hostage takings or bomb threats. Has a good mix of action and drama.The team usually tries to negotiate and only wants to use force as a matter of last resort. Furthermore, the prepetrators are usually not portrayed as villains, but more as regular people. The show lets you understand their motives and sometimes even sympathise with them. 

The Code: Australian series about a journalist who investigates the mysterious accident of two teenagers. Together with his autists brother who's a hacker he discovers that the government has somehow been involved and tries to cover the accident up. In September a second season which follows another case was released, but I haven't watched it yet. 

On 11/03/2015 at 4:16 PM, Hugorfonics said:

I was just thinking that! Lol

Not American or British, because I already know all about them. However if you still wanna recommend them feel free :D

what about non-english British ?? 

like Hinterland 

moody detective series in Welsh

3 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

what about non-english British ?? 

like Hinterland 

moody detective series in Welsh

Seconded! Dwi'n mwyhhau Y Gwyll. Mae'r lleioliad yn brydferth. But take note, o people - watch the all-Welsh version, not the English/Welsh one! 

2 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Seconded! Dwi'n mwyhhau Y Gwyll. Mae'r lleioliad yn brydferth. But take note, o people - watch the all-Welsh version, not the English/Welsh

<3

Aye; all Welsh version is much better, to be honest with you though the ''English'' version is basically 50% + Welsh anyway, lol!!! I've yet to see season 2...oops. But I liked season one a lot. 

Not a big fan of Hinterland to be honest. Although I'm kind of done with the whole crimigenre anyway and aside from the Welsh it's a pretty standard series imo.

It's not technically foreign, but because it is weird and wonderful I would recommend The Young Pope. It's directed by Sorentino, so while HBO and other channels had some input, it really is his brainchild.

I would also recommend Callboys, a Flemish dramedy series about a group of idiotic men who earn a living as gigolo's. It's very weird and I don't know if English subs are going to be available, but if they ever come out it's nice to see just because it's so damn silly.

18 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

<3

Aye; all Welsh version is much better, to be honest with you though the ''English'' version is basically 50% + Welsh anyway, lol!!! I've yet to see season 2...oops. But I liked season one a lot. 

I've seen season 2, and I'm currently catching up on S3 on S4C, but I've never actually watched the first season. And atm I live in Hinterland, so shame on me for not having seen the whole thing!

21 hours ago, Astromech said:

I'll give the Netflix Original, 3% a try. It's a Brazilian entry based on a 2011 web series by Pedro Aguilera.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/3-percent-trailer-netflix-brazilian-original-series-cesar-charlone-pedro-aguilera-1201735103/

I liked it - interesting characters for the most part and a solid story. Recommend.

On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Astromech said:

I'll give the Netflix Original, 3% a try. It's a Brazilian entry based on a 2011 web series by Pedro Aguilera.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/3-percent-trailer-netflix-brazilian-original-series-cesar-charlone-pedro-aguilera-1201735103/

Seconding Week, this has been very enjoyable so far (not finished yet). Interesting characters and premise (not a very original premise but its handled well). Give it a try. 

Also want to say its easy to follow if you dont speak the language, which was a big + for me.

7 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Seconding Week, this has been very enjoyable so far (not finished yet). Interesting characters and premise (not a very original premise but its handled well). Give it a try. 

Also want to say its easy to follow if you dont speak the language, which was a big + for me.

Unfortunately, I'll probably come back to it next Summer. I only subscribe to Netflix over the Summer/early Fall due to ease of use and access when away from home. I hoped to have the time to watch it, but binged Quarry s1 since Cinemax offered a  freeview this Thanksgiving weekend. Quarry was well-worth the binge.

• 2 months later...

Channel 4 has announced that Walter Presents, its streaming service for non-English-language world drama (and comedy), is also headed to the States .Walter Presents will launch in the US in March 2017.It will be rolling out to other international markets in the next year.

In the US it will be an ad-free, subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) service, available on a variety of platforms and at WalterPresents.com, and cost $6.99 per month.

What will you get for your seven bucks? Quite a bit.

Walter Presents will launch in the US with 34 award-winning, top-rated, exclusive, and original first-run drama series from 12 countries, including Argentina, Brazil, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, and the Netherlands.

One is the multiple-award-winning political thriller Spin (Les hommes de l’ombre). Billed as the French House of Cards or Borgen, it explores the intense rivalry between two spin doctors — the seasoned master Simon Kapita (Bruno Wolkowitch, C.I.D.) and his protége Ludovic Desmeuze (Grégory Fitoussi, Spiral) — who become fierce competitors while backing different candidates for the snap election called after the President is assassinated.

Another is the highly-anticipated UK and US premiere of Valkyrien — the hit Norwegian thriller set in an illegal, underground hospital where surgeon Ravn (Sven Nordin, Struggle for Life) agrees to treat patients from the criminal underworld in return for secret facilities where he is desperately trying to find a cure to save his dying wife.

Each season of Walter Presents programs will be available in full for your binge-watching delight, and all episodes will feature high-quality, customized subtitles.

After launch the service will premiere two new series each month. By the end of its first year, Walter Presents expects to host more than 500 hours of premium international television programs.

http://theeurotvplace.com/2017/01/huge-news-the-uks-walter-presents-expands-to-the-us-bringing-mucho-mas-euro-tv-with-it/

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 1:21 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

If a foreign show is just that good, I find it easier to wait until there is a crappy American remake of it to watch...

LOL... same here.... I can watch something that is not entirely in sub-titles, but I feel more like a captive when I'm tied to a chair and forced to read for fear of missing a bit of important dialogue ... plus, colloquial subtleties often get lost in translation.... I did enjoy The American version of the Bridge.... (cancelled too soon)....

and for us ugly Americans, technically British shows are foreign... I love Humans

I'm halfway though Deutschland 83 at the moment. It is very good other than the odd continuity error. It's nice to have a spy drama where the under prepared protagonist doesn't suddenly become omnipotent. It helps that I am a Germanophile, but the setting is brilliant too.

2 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

I'm halfway though Deutschland 83 at the moment. It is very good other than the odd continuity error. It's nice to have a spy drama where the under prepared protagonist doesn't suddenly become omnipotent. It helps that I am a Germanophile, but the setting is brilliant too.

This sounds something that would engross me.  I shall look for it.

Ah! Netflix has it on dvd.

I found the Netflix  NSU German History X  engrossing as well -- and, of course, chilling.

I finished D'83 earlier. The ending was maybe a little rushed given the number of plotlines and some of the more minor ones were just left hanging, but overall it was an enjoyable watch. It has been set up nicely for the next series set three years subsequently. If I were the writers, I would be tempted to go straight on to the proposed third series, Deutschland 89, instead.

Been watching a lot of foreign language TV recently. Two shows currently on Nextflix that I liked a lot are The Break, from Belgium (French language), and Case, from Iceland. The Lava Field, also from Iceland, and Witnesses, from France, were both decent, but not near as good as the first two I mentioned. These are all twisty murder mysteries, with the two Icelandic shows having the same kind of feel as we get in other Nordic shows like The Bridge and The Killing, while the two French language shows feel more like Broadchurch, though The Break pulls it off better than Witnesses.

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Been watching a lot of foreign language TV recently. Two shows currently on Nextflix that I liked a lot are The Break, from Belgium (French language), and Case, from Iceland. The Lava Field, also from Iceland, and Witnesses, from France, were both decent, but not near as good as the first two I mentioned. These are all twisty murder mysteries, with the two Icelandic shows having the same kind of feel as we get in other Nordic shows like The Bridge and The Killing, while the two French language shows feel more like Broadchurch, though The Break pulls it off better than Witnesses.

Have you tried Spiral? I've only watched the first season, but enjoyed it. I always see it referred to as  French The Wire, but it's narrower in scope.

For something much lighter, I loved A Very Secret Service, a French spoof of 1960s spy shows and films. I found it hilarious.

14 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Been watching a lot of foreign language TV recently. Two shows currently on Nextflix that I liked a lot are The Breakfrom Belgium (French language), and Casefrom Iceland. The Lava Field, also from Iceland, and Witnesses, from France, were both decent, but not near as good as the first two I mentioned. These are all twisty murder mysteries, with the two Icelandic shows having the same kind of feel as we get in other Nordic shows like The Bridge and The Killing, while the two French language shows feel more like Broadchurch, though The Break pulls it off better than Witnesses.

Case was very good indeed.I'll give The Break a watch soon.

Archived