RIP Terry Pratchett

Werthead

I can't remember which of his books I read first. Moving pictures, maybe.

‘Goodbye,’ Mort said, and was surprised to find a lump in his throat. ‘It’s such an unpleasant word, isn’t it?’
QUITE SO. Death grinned because, as has so often been remarked, he didn’t have much option. But possibly he meant it, this time. I PREFER AU REVOIR, he said.

RIP Sir Terry; and so please it sounds like he managed to go with dignity intact.

I discovered him when I borrowed my brother's copy of Equal Rights and bought Mort when it was released - which puts me at 1987; aged 11. He would then have been a pretty constant companion throughout my teens, and indeed adult life.

Favourite book has to be Nation; which is just a truly great puiece of literature; and easily enjoyable by those who wouldn't otherwise touch a Pratchett book (eg both my parents - who both loved it after I made them read it).

"It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it."

Sir Terry's death has moved me to my first post on this forum.

If it wasn't for my mum giving me a copy of The Light Fantastic at 12 years old, I may never have fallen in love with fantasy literature the way I have.

Sir Terry, through Discworld, taught me to embrace fantasy and to never take anything too bloody seriously!

his wit and wisdom will be much missed.

He was the best. A very bright light has gone out. I will miss his work, as well as the comforting thought that someone as brilliant and funny as that is out there.

This is exactly how I'm feeling as well.

First book : The Colour of Magic, it was actually the only one available in my language at the time.

Favorite : Night Watch I'd say, but it's a close call to many others.

A full reread is long overdue.

I actually feel the need to expand; this one still hasn't sunk in properly. I've never really cared about the death of random celebrity before, nor even about personal heroes (Cobain, Joost vd Westhuizen) but...he's been a part of my life since I was 11, I've met him a couple of times at book signings, and shared a table at a charity dinner. This one hurts, and it's really weird; and I kinda don't know what to do with it...

I actually feel the need to expand; this one still hasn't sunk in properly. I've never really cared about the death of random celebrity before, nor even about personal heroes (Cobain, Joost vd Westhuizen) but...he's been a part of my life since I was 11, I've met him a couple of times at book signings, and shared a table at a charity dinner (I told him he'd used the wrong sport in Nation - but as a lifelong cricket fan, he just wanted his favourite in there). This one hurts, and it's really weird; and I kinda don't know what to do with it...

So, what was the first Pratchett book you read? What was your favorite?

My first book was "Night Watch"...and it remains my favorite (although "Small Gods" is a close second).

I was about 12 years old when I started reading the Discworld novels. I had just finished reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I remember my brother excitedly telling me about Rincewind, Granny Weatherwax, the cover of Eric (with the author's name in big gold letters) etc. and I started the Colour of Magic shortly after. I have been reading them all in order since.

My favorite is probably Small Gods, but it has been a while since I reread it. Having read it as young girl who didn't have very girly interests Equal Rites definitely holds a special place in my heart as well.

I have fond memories of the PC game with Eric Idle as well.

:crying:

I am very sad to heard this. He was a great author and probably a great person too. No author has ever made me laugh so often. A friend lent me one of his books when I was fifteen and then I spent months waiting to borrow next one from my local library. There were usually at least four reservations for all of his books.

Archived