Deadpool v SkullpoopL: Dawn of Spoilers

Bastard of Boston

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Nope. My money that is set up for entertainment will go exactly where it did. I don't need to donate it to some charity to get misused or end up with 8% actually going to the people I am trying to help. I grew up dirt poor and have seen with my own eyes the bad side of "charities". People taking for themselves instead of helping. I, and my wife and daughter, invest time instead, since I know it can't be taken away from who needs it.

yes there are many charities and ngos that don't produce results (and even criminally misuse their allocated funds), but there are also many that do good honest work and get real results. I've visited these water wells myself, and i know the guys running this particular charity, so ive done the leg worked and vetted them thoroughly enough to know that the 20 bucks id spend to see both of these upcoming movies will instead provide water for children who are currently drinking arsenic laced rice paddy run off.  

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

So apart from pirating Deadpool, what are you doing to combat the fact that children are dying? Apologies if you've said elsewhere, but I only know you really from your sightseeing topic, and seeing as you're lecturing us about it and all, it'd be nice to know.

I'd like to add that I am NOT lecturing you. Rather, im shouting into the ether here. You can easily place me on ignore and move on with your day. I'm not really trying to be condescending, I just have an opinion here that happens to collide with your own. 

Still think you are an intelligent chap with interesting points on many subject matters. 

26 minutes ago, Relic said:

Yeah, im not THAT old. Only just entered my middle ages. (Yes, us 30somethings are very defensive about our age =P )

Relic, you've adopted many controversial positions in your time but this is surely one of the most ill-informed. You are not yet middle aged, young 'un. :P

Just now, mormont said:

Relic, you've adopted many controversial positions in your time but this is surely one of the most ill-informed. You are not yet middle aged, young 'un. :P

Haha, that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. 

<3 <3 

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

I'd like to add that I am NOT lecturing you. Rather, im shouting into the ether here. You can easily place me on ignore and move on with your day. I'm not really trying to be condescending, I just have an opinion here that happens to collide with your own.

Well, apologies, but it really did come off that way. And it's not really about me - I certainly could be doing more with my life in terms of good works, albeit I don't think donating a few bob every so often to one charity or another is much more than a band-aid to make the giver feel good, although it's something I've done in the past when I had regular spare money - it's the way you patronised everyone who saw the film for wanting to enjoy themselves and assumed that they're not already doing things to help make the world a better place. I mean, you can do that and enjoy Deadpool. What you did is try to shame everybody who didn't agree with your opinion. Which is a cheap tactic.

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Well, apologies, but it really did come off that way. And it's not really about me - I certainly could be doing more with my life in terms of good works, albeit I don't think donating a few bob every so often to one charity or another is much more than a band-aid to make the giver feel good, although it's something I've done in the past when I had regular spare money - it's the way you patronised everyone who saw the film for wanting to enjoy themselves and assumed that they're not already doing things to help make the world a better place. I mean, you can do that and enjoy Deadpool. What you did is try to shame everybody who didn't agree with your opinion. Which is a cheap tactic.

Fair enough. Wasn't aiming at shame, i'll choose my words better next time, and i'll shut up for the time being =) 

3 hours ago, Relic said:

And I didn't even hate Deadpool like I've hated some other recent fare I've been subjected to (Spectre, Avengers 2, Superman). I was just... bored. And I don't get the love. I wish you people would stop dressing up garbage in ball gowns and start demanding more out of your endless entertainment. Our expectations are so fucking low that this "movie" (which is essentially nothing more than a paint-by-the-numbers R rated Saturday morning cartoon) made enough money to feed a small country for a decade. 

Yeah, I would agree that it is somewhat overhyped, but I understand why everyone is so psyched. Just the sheer novelty alone of an R rated superhero flick makes it pretty unique. On top of that, they nailed the character which always goes a long way for me as far as rating a movie based on a comicbook. Your descriptor above of "a paint-by-the-numbers R rated Saturday morning cartoon" is a bit of a misnomer in that there are no R rated Saturday morning cartoons. I would pay to see more of these, quite frankly.

9 hours ago, Relic said:

This is yet another in a looooong line of movies that should have been about 60 minutes shorter. I don't know if I'm just a cranky middle aged nerd or if a shit ton of people suffer from the disease of low expectations,  but I fail to see what makes this movie so wonderful. It was amusing, and that's the best I can say about it. It looked like shit (especially Colossus), had terrible antagonists, and a coma inducing origin story that we have seen about 20 thousand fucking times already. 

Yet it's made half a billion dollars. Meanwhile children all over the world are dying of disease, hunger,  and aggression. I weep for humanity. 

I can perfectly understand where you are coming from with this sentiment. The plot really was paint by numbers, and the villain was as generic as they come, and it did look cheap in places. There is absolutely no denying that.

What I enjoyed so much about the movie was how well they did the characters that they focused on. I think that is what separates this from a lot of other films in the genre. The people were just down right charming and witty. 

I saw it a second time last week, and I will have to admit that I did find myself bored in a few places, but overall, for $10, I feel like I got my money's worth. Speaking of money, I can not tell you that I will not be seeing another comic book movie in the theatre, but what I will do is donate the ticket price to an charity that focuses on feeding the poor around the world. Do you have any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Your descriptor above of "a paint-by-the-numbers R rated Saturday morning cartoon" is a bit of a misnomer in that there are no R rated Saturday morning cartoons.

I support very little of what Relic posted here. But he was referring to it as an R rated version of a Saturday morning cartoon - just sayin'. :)

2 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

I support very little of what Relic posted here. But he was referring to it as an R rated version of a Saturday morning cartoon - just sayin'. :)

Not sure that descriptor works though for the reason I stated. "Paint-by-the-numbers" refers to something that's unoriginal, that's been done a thousand times before, right? This is the first R rated superhero movie that I'm aware of. That sets it apart to some degree, doesn't it? 

I hadn't thought about it too much, to be honest.

I see both sides of that discussion. Yes - the R rating is a risk and sets it apart somewhat. On the other hand, take away the R rating and it was somewhat formulaic in structure. But I don't really have a problem with that.

(And something that sets it apart even more, IMHO, is the breaking the fourth wall stuff. Okay - so that's exactly as per the comics. But in the movie world, it's fairly unique and I think it's part of what drew a lot of people to it. It's something very different for the vast majority of people)

18 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

I hadn't thought about it too much, to be honest.

I see both sides of that discussion. Yes - the R rating is a risk and sets it apart somewhat. On the other hand, take away the R rating and it was somewhat formulaic in structure. But I don't really have a problem with that.

(And something that sets it apart even more, IMHO, is the breaking the fourth wall stuff. Okay - so that's exactly as per the comics. But in the movie world, it's fairly unique and I think it's part of what drew a lot of people to it. It's something very different for the vast majority of people)

Yeah, that's why I think "paint-by-the-numbers" isn't fair. It is considerably different than your standard superhero flick.

21 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not sure that descriptor works though for the reason I stated. "Paint-by-the-numbers" refers to something that's unoriginal, that's been done a thousand times before, right? This is the first R rated superhero movie that I'm aware of. That sets it apart to some degree, doesn't it? 

The Crow, Spawn, and The Punisher would like to have words,,, 

Comic canon puts Angel Dust at 1 on the strength scale and Colossus at 7 on the strength scale according to the Wiki Colossus' strentgh is on the potentially incalculable scale, like Hulk; though I assume Colossus doesn't have potentially infinite scaling. There is simply no way Colossus should have been out brute forced by Angel Dust. They shoulda picked a different X-person that was also 1ish on the strength scale.

5 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

The Crow, Spawn, and The Punisher would like to have words,,, 

Spawn was not rated R. 

I do think that Deadpool wasn't so insanely different than most edgy superhero movies, and there wasn't much in the way of innovation. It was basically an R-rated version of GotG. 

Archived