Deadpool v SkullpoopL: Dawn of Spoilers

Bastard of Boston

5 minutes ago, Kindly Old Man said:

I like Super the best out of all the self-mocking comic book movies

Super was pretty awesome. And right there with GotG for obvious reasons. 

Honestly, I'm starting to think that the reason Deadpool did so well was that the marketing was absolutely brilliant.

16 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

So was Kick-Ass. And Kick-Ass was decidedly more innovative. 

Eh, not sure I agree with that.The premise was fairly innovative (normal kid with no powers decides to make a costume and fight crime) but otherwise it was chock full of standard superhero movie tropes. Having the girl as the true badass was a nice turn, but outside of that... 

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Honestly, I'm starting to think that the reason Deadpool did so well was that the marketing was absolutely brilliant.

That and the fact that they nailed the character. I think the marketing was genius, but I do think the movie delivered on the promise of the marketing.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, not sure I agree with that.The premise was fairly innovative (normal kid with no powers decides to make a costume and fight crime) but otherwise it was chock full of standard superhero movie tropes. Having the girl as the true badass was a nice turn, but outside of that... 

Well, it had a very new concept - what if we took our normal world and decided to have a few people try to be superheroes. Not 'with special powers', but a world where we know and reference comic books and someone tries to emulate them. Would we look at them as insane? As spectacle? Would they be particularly mature or clever, or would they kind of suck quite a lot of the time? Would they look, well, really stupid? 

There are some classic superhero tropes in them - and that I blame on Vaughn, who couldn't resist that jet pack missile launcher bullshit - but largely it doesn't have a whole lot of them. The girl is not only not the damsel, she's the most foul mouthed person in the movie. The hero is incompetent and lame. The lead ninja badass gets set on fire and tortured to death, and they embrace the tropes as a way to get a trap set, somewhat inverting them. 

Deadpool is basically a superhero movie, but with an asshole as the hero. One could argue that Blade did that too for that matter. I wouldn't call it innovative. I'd just say it was well-done and was very respectful of being a comic character with that character's sensibilities and humor. It didn't try and fuck it up like FF did, it didn't try and make it not ridiculous like batman begins did. It embraced the silly and went all out. That's also not that new, mind you, but it was done well, and doing something well can be pretty great. 

34 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Comic canon puts Angel Dust at 1 on the strength scale and Colossus at 7 on the strength scale according to the Wiki Colossus' strentgh is on the potentially incalculable scale, like Hulk; though I assume Colossus doesn't have potentially infinite scaling. There is simply no way Colossus should have been out brute forced by Angel Dust. They shoulda picked a different X-person that was also 1ish on the strength scale.

This was a very simplified version of Angel Dust. Her powers are really meant to come from a super level of adrenalin. Which can simulate near super strength, but not quite. Obviously they took liberties, much like they did with NSTW who was basically just a telepath with mild precognition. It did cheapen Colossus but frankly I feel his immense strength strains credulity on screen. On page these guys can be separated without raising questions, on screen you really start to question why fights aren't overlapping.

15 hours ago, Kalbear said:

The girl is not only not the damsel, she's the most foul mouthed person in the movie.

Yeah, Hit-Girl was far and away the best part of that flick, no doubt. I thought the relationship between her and Big Daddy was really well done in that it was both totally dysfunctional, and very sweet and loving at the same time. Kind of twisted and sentimental.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Super was pretty awesome. And right there with GotG for obvious reasons. 

Oh absolutely. Best marketing I've seen for a movie in a long time. Word of mouth and repeat viewings are helping a lot too, I think. 

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:12 PM, Nictarion said:

It was a million times better than Kick-Ass.

Would very much disagree. Both had a huge hit of adult humour. But outside of that Deadpool was one dimensional. Kick Ass had far more depth and development.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 10:25 PM, Veltigar said:

The trouble with Kick-Ass is that I'm hard-pressed to remember a thing about it. I know I saw it and I did like it, but I doesn't ring any bells really. That's usually not a good sign.  

F*** this shit, I'm getting the bazooka!

We need a plan, think long term.

I have 3 million dollars in a suitcase... that long term enough for ya?

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, that's why I think "paint-by-the-numbers" isn't fair. It is considerably different than your standard superhero flick.

Apart from deadpool himself (the humour and 4th wall breaking), pretty much all the criticisms of Ant Man apply. The bad guy is one dimensional. The plot is simplistic and vanilla. And so on. The humour is great and elevates the movie, but it is the only element that makes this particularly special.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, not sure I agree with that. The premise was fairly innovative (normal kid with no powers decides to make a costume and fight crime) but otherwise it was chock full of standard superhero movie tropes. Having the girl as the true badass was a nice turn, but outside of that... 

The background to the main hero (and his incompetence), the fleshing out of the good and bad guys, the child super-hero, the family dynamics, there was a lot there not in a typical super-hero movie.

8 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

This was a very simplified version of Angel Dust. Her powers are really meant to come from a super level of adrenalin. Which can simulate near super strength, but not quite. Obviously they took liberties, much like they did with NSTW who was basically just a telepath with mild precognition. It did cheapen Colossus but frankly I feel his immense strength strains credulity on screen. On page these guys can be separated without raising questions, on screen you really start to question why fights aren't overlapping.

Colossus was cheapened by the decision to give him the voice of Stefan Kapičić. Period.

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Oh absolutely. Best marketing I've seen for a movie in a long time. Word of mouth and repeat viewings are helping a lot too, I think. 

It's like they were trying to make up for the disaster that was "Fant4stic" - although I can understand why they cut their losses with that one having seen it.

I'm very curious as to how Deadpool would hold up to repeat viewings. Comedies usually require a long time before I can watch and laugh at them again. I'd be concerned that it would fall flat watching it for the second time in quick succession.

While there have been other superhero comedies and R rated ones (eg Super) I think what gives Deadpool an "innovative" edge is that it actively comments on the other superhero franchises and pokes fun of them. It wouldn't really have worked 15 years ago when the choice was "Blade and X-men" but given the proliferation of superhero films since this film probably hit at exactly the right time when some of the shine is going from the franchises. If it had came out a few years later it may have been too late as people might be more wary of super films in general.

I'm hoping Civil War and the other films can also deliver this year as it would be a shame if the best one is also the one taking the piss out of the genres current failings.

15 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Speaking of money, I can not tell you that I will not be seeing another comic book movie in the theatre, but what I will do is donate the ticket price to an charity that focuses on feeding the poor around the world. Do you have any suggestions?

Awesome. I can PM you a couple of places where i can guarantee every penny of your donation will go to good use. 

21 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That and the fact that they nailed the character. I think the marketing was genius, but I do think the movie delivered on the promise of the marketing.

The brilliant thing about the marketing of the film was that it was in many ways an extension of Deadpool's character. 

18 hours ago, ants said:

F*** this shit, I'm getting the bazooka!

We need a plan, think long term.

I have 3 million dollars in a suitcase... that long term enough for ya?

I'm sorry, but I really am drawing a blank here. None of this rings any bells :) 

20 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm sorry, but if you don't remember Hit-Girl and Big Daddy then the problem's with you, not the film. :P

Well, looking up a couple of clips has freshed my memory up a bit, but it's still hazy. I can't watch the hitgirl scene you linked, but I found a hallway shooting scene with her in it and that wasn't that special imo. 

Just now, Veltigar said:

Well, looking up a couple of clips has freshed my memory up a bit, but it's still hazy. I can't watch the hitgirl scene you linked, but I found a hallway shooting scene with her in it and that wasn't that special imo. 

The hallway shooting scene was fine by me, but it probably was the least memorable of the action scenes in the movie.

Her best one is the night-goggles one, that's a masterful action scene imo, but I linked to her intro mostly because of the line.

Like I say, I love that film unreasonably. One of the many things that I love about it is the way the camera behaves differently depending on who's fighting.

Archived