Deadpool v SkullpoopL: Dawn of Spoilers

Bastard of Boston

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He got crushed by Gina Carano when she surprised him but whenever he got serious and concentrated he won. What's the issue there?

Increased meddling is possible but not the guarantee you're making it. We certainly hear horror stories of studios ruining movies but often they get involved when a director hasn't got the track record of making money and they start getting nervous. If this has the same director, and they give him the bigger budget, it'll because he's proved he can earn them money.

Anyway it was hardly some huge out-there transgressive or complicated thing that executives aren't going to 'get'. I'm not sure what people think executives are actually going to do here.

The issue is that you need to watch the movie again, because there is a clear and present problem with your recollection.

In the initial confrontation she blows Colussus away, clearly demonstratring superior strength.

Then Sinead comes in and blows Carano back.Colossus is still on the floor. 

Then Carano engages Colossus again and slowly pushes him back, his feet sliding backwards through the gravel. You can see that she is actually stronger than Colossus ( of course!). Once Colossus finally stops being pushed back a fight begins, in which he hands out a blow or two and she hands out a blow or two as well. At some point he is able to grab hold of her and throw her into the thrash. Then the moment comes when he sees her left boob out and she hits him in the nuts. After that happens he stays down for a long time, and she slowly walks to him. She then puts her foot on his back with a tyre strap around his neck and proceeds to choke him. He is unable to free himself from her grip while she keeps choking him. In the end he is saved for the second time by Sinead, she prevents the breaking of his neck.

So, with that being the sequence of events, I wonder how you could conclude that he "won" that mano-e-mano. 

He clearly didn't, and for the one time we actually get to see Colossus in action in a film, I thought it was a real shame.

He did not do a lot of damage, mostly got kicked around in that fight.

8 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

If Fox was smart, they would give the sequel a limited budget as well. The reason that this movie was so good was because it didn't focus on the big tricks and explosion and had to spend time developing characters. I'm not absolutely certain that they will not do just this in an effort not to kill the golden goose.

Agree with the idea you have here. A lot of what is good about Mad Max and The Force Awakens is that it's less about the CGI and more about the people. I mean, what was one of the least liked parts about TFA, the Star Killer base. The big CGI item.

I also agree that a sequel will likely be worse. People will want their names attached to aspects that they shouldn't be and they will meddle in it and mess it up. Think Dallas Cowboys mid 1990's!

I completely agree that Colossus shouldn't have gotten kicked around so much. He is the X-Men's tank, I wasn't crazy about seeing one person overpowering him. That was honestly my only complaint with the movie though, and it wasn't a huge deal. Just a minor nitpick. 

21 minutes ago, Relic said:

This is yet another in a looooong line of movies that should have been about 60 minutes shorter. I don't know if I'm just a cranky middle aged nerd or if a shit ton of people suffer from the disease of low expectations,  but I fail to see what makes this movie so wonderful. It was amusing, and that's the best I can say about it. It looked like shit (especially Colossus), had terrible antagonists, and a coma inducing origin story that we have seen about 20 thousand fucking times already. 

Yet it's made half a billion dollars. Meanwhile children all over the world are dying of disease, hunger,  and aggression. I weep for humanity. 

It was entertaining - that's what a movie is supposed to be.  It's not a period piece or a documentary that is supposed to leave you feeling like you know a situation better.  It was about swearing, off color jokes and violence - it delivered those.  That's what I was expecting out of it and it more than delivered for me.

There are points in the spectrum between "let a child die" and "watch a movie."

It was exactly what it needed to be, i enjoyed it a lot. Definitely one of the better comic book movies. As long as they stick with the tone and adult rating, i'm not worried about a sequel. Considering what the people involved mentioned they wanted to do but couldn't due to budget cuts, it could possibly result in less creative action scenes but definitely more material to take the piss out of the genre. I bet they'd rather use it for a Wolverine cameo and the like than 'bigger' fights or explosions.

I know little about Colossus but i felt like he was holding back at first and then got overwhelmed after the cheapshot because she had the element of surprise! Ah, i don't know, maybe he just a bad day. It happens, even to mutants.

2 hours ago, Relic said:

This is yet another in a looooong line of movies that should have been about 60 minutes shorter. I don't know if I'm just a cranky middle aged nerd or if a shit ton of people suffer from the disease of low expectations,  but I fail to see what makes this movie so wonderful. It was amusing, and that's the best I can say about it. It looked like shit (especially Colossus), had terrible antagonists, and a coma inducing origin story that we have seen about 20 thousand fucking times already. 

Yet it's made half a billion dollars. Meanwhile children all over the world are dying of disease, hunger,  and aggression. I weep for humanity. 

Seriously, Relic. It's a movie. One that billed itself as rude, crude, light fare. Getting on a soapbox about child hunger after seeing Deadpool? Really?

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

The issue is that you need to watch the movie again, because there is a clear and present problem with your recollection.

In the initial confrontation she blows Colussus away, clearly demonstratring superior strength.

Then Sinead comes in and blows Carano back.Colossus is still on the floor. 

Then Carano engages Colossus again and slowly pushes him back, his feet sliding backwards through the gravel. You can see that she is actually stronger than Colossus ( of course!). Once Colossus finally stops being pushed back a fight begins, in which he hands out a blow or two and she hands out a blow or two as well. At some point he is able to grab hold of her and throw her into the thrash. Then the moment comes when he sees her left boob out and she hits him in the nuts. After that happens he stays down for a long time, and she slowly walks to him. She then puts her foot on his back with a tyre strap around his neck and proceeds to choke him. He is unable to free himself from her grip while she keeps choking him. In the end he is saved for the second time by Sinead, she prevents the breaking of his neck.

So, with that being the sequence of events, I wonder how you could conclude that he "won" that mano-e-mano. 

He clearly didn't, and for the one time we actually get to see Colossus in action in a film, I thought it was a real shame.

He did not do a lot of damage, mostly got kicked around in that fight.

Fair enough, I forgot about Negasonic saving him, but she only got him in the choke because of a cheap shot and a boob joke.

2 hours ago, Relic said:

This is maybe the weirdest criticism of a movie I've ever fucking seen. You can apply that to any film and indeed any fucking entertainment whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Relic said:

Really, you weep for humanity because this movie is successful? You are being a little over the top and self righteous don't you think? Or you answered your own question about being a cranky middle aged person, did you tell any kids you get off your lawn today?

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

Seriously, Relic. It's a movie. One that billed itself as rude, crude, light fare. Getting on a soapbox about child hunger after seeing Deadpool? Really?

Obviously my statement was intentionally hyperbolic. However i feel that "getting on a soapbox about child hunger" is pretty much appropriate in any given situation.

Also, after ten/fifteen years of being saturated with abysmal Hollywood bullshit, I'm seriously done. And I didn't even hate Deadpool like I've hated some other recent fare I've been subjected to (Spectre, Avengers 2, Superman). I was just... bored. And I don't get the love. I wish you people would stop dressing up garbage in ball gowns and start demanding more out of your endless entertainment. Our expectations are so fucking low that this "movie" (which is essentially nothing more than a paint-by-the-numbers R rated Saturday morning cartoon) made enough money to feed a small country for a decade. 

Makes me really fucking sad. 

All in my humble opinion, of course. Unlike some people here, i'm perfectly fine with my entertainment being questioned by others, and i feel i've earned enough credit posting here for 15 years that i can come and vent without being branded a traitor/troll by my nerd-kin.  

14 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Really, you weep for humanity because this movie is successful? You are being a little over the top and self righteous don't you think? Or you answered your own question about being a cranky middle aged person, did you tell any kids you get off your lawn today?

Yeah, im not THAT old. Only just entered my middle ages. (Yes, us 30somethings are very defensive about our age =P )

Anyway, i find it telling that so many of you took time to express your dislike of my statement. 

Jace, I think that there won't be too much meddling - but keep in mind that one of the reasons that this movie did so well was because Fox marketed it super, super well. You need a bit of support there, and Fox should get some credit for embracing what the movie was and going all out in supporting it. What other movie had a testicular cancer psa associated with it? Or their character mocking kids for halloween?

I'm not worried that they will meddle much. They clearly understood the audience pretty well the first time. I suspect it'll just be a bit less cheap looking, a bit more action packed and have a couple more interesting characters.

Relic, are they not feeding you enough over at Genchat that you should come looking for more here too ? I'm sorry , but Deadpool was clear from the get go about what it was going to be about. It's telling that you should elect to see this movie knowing that. 

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

Yeah, im not THAT old. Only just entered my middle ages. (Yes, us 30somethings are very defensive about our age =P )

Anyway, i find it telling that so many of you took time to express your dislike of my statement. 

Yeah, but us responding is exactly what you wanted.  And you called yourself middle aged, not me.

Just now, dbunting said:

Yeah, but us responding is exactly what you wanted.  And you called yourself middle aged, not me.

I'd love it if people thought about donating the price of admission to the next "awesome" Hollywood blockbuster to a good charity instead of to movie studio's bottom line. That's what I'll be doing. I might save a few brain cells, to boot.  

12 minutes ago, Relic said:

So apart from pirating Deadpool, what are you doing to combat the fact that children are dying? Apologies if you've said elsewhere, but I only know you really from your sightseeing topic, and seeing as you're lecturing us about it and all, it'd be nice to know.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

So apart from pirating Deadpool, what are you doing to combat the fact that people are dying? Apologies if you've said elsewhere, but I only know you really from your sightseeing topic, and seeing as you're lecturing us about it and all, it'd be nice to know.

As i said above, instead of seeing Suicide Squad or Batman Vs Kickpuncher I'll donate the price of admission to my favorite charity, which builds water wells in impoverished Cambodian rice farming villages. Aside from that, we have written a few articles on the topics of poverty around the world, both for our own site and for other people. We are trying to do more, of course, although it's hard with a rather limited income of my own. 

I know your question stems from a place of derision, but i am happy to discuss the topic of how we can do more for others at the expense of a few dollars and a couple of hours of being entertained (which is essentially a euphemism for being lulled to sleep). 

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

I'd love it if people thought about donating the price of admission to the next "awesome" Hollywood blockbuster to a good charity instead of to movie studio's bottom line. That's what I'll be doing. I might save a few brain cells, to boot.  

Nope. My money that is set up for entertainment will go exactly where it did. I don't need to donate it to some charity to get misused or end up with 8% actually going to the people I am trying to help. I grew up dirt poor and have seen with my own eyes the bad side of "charities". People taking for themselves instead of helping. I, and my wife and daughter, invest time instead, since I know it can't be taken away from who needs it.

Anyway, still love the movie and my coworker went this weekend and loved it. Said he plans to see it again at the theatres. Good movie especially if you know what you are in for! It's nice to go see a movie sometimes and not have 5 and 6 years olds running all over because it was marketed for them to buy toys.

Archived