Deadpool v SkullpoopL: Dawn of Spoilers

Bastard of Boston

Deadpool is raking in box office dollars :D $260 million worldwide, which seems to be great considering this was made on a budget of $58 million. Between Mad Max: Fury Road and Deadpool, could we be witnessing the start of a new wave of R-Rated films?

On 13-2-2016 at 5:50 PM, The King In Black said:

The Dark Knight ? Definitely. A lot of people are sadly ignorant about Unbreakable.

We need to spread the word as best we can to ammend that :) 

On 13-2-2016 at 6:39 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Unbreakable is great, but I'm not sure it can be categorized as a superhero flick, wholly. I mean it gets there eventually, but I'm not sure it fits the genre as a whole.

I think genre is pretty flexible really :) There are very few films that tick of all the boxes for one particular genre and there is so much cross-pollination between genres that I personally feel very comfortable in placing Unbreakable in the superhero genre. I mean, otherwise we would also have to disqualify something like Chronicle, which is also a bit different to the more bland, mainstream Marvel superhero flick.

On 13-2-2016 at 7:44 PM, Howdyphillip said:

I'll give you The Dark Night, but Unbreakable? First off, it is most certainly not a comic book movie.

Well, arguing about semantics is pretty pointless, but I did call Unbreakable a superhero film. And Unbreakable certainly fits that mold, eventhough it isn't based on a comic book (or at least I think it isn't based on one). Comic book movie is a bit wider I feel, because stuff like 300 and Kingsmen were also comic books first IIRC to give two examples.

Secondly, it was a good movie the first time through. watchable the second time with the understanding of the twist, and then a total snoozefest any other viewing. This is not unlike many early M Night films. (I smell dead people.)

I can't disagree with you on The Sixth Sense, since it has been years since I last saw it. And to be perfectly honest, I can't really recall a time where I didn't know about the twist. I have no recollection of that first unspoiled viewing if there ever was one for me. 

Unbreakable though, I saw that for the first time years after its initial release. So, I remember when I saw it for the first time and I have to disagree with you there. In fact, I feel like Unbreakable got stronger over the years for me. It's not a film I watch very often, but I have watched it a couple of times over the years and I feel like Bruce Willis' quietly compelling performance moves me more and more with the passing of time. And Samuel L. Jackson is just as good. I feel like Unbreakable, despite its subject matter, is a deeply human film and the emotional journey of the characters in that film resonates deeply with me personally. In that way Unbreakable really is the polar opposite of the bland, corporate mandated and conveyor belt produced superhero/comic book movie flick as brought to us by the likes of Marvel.

post script...

I hope no one takes offence to me bickering with Veltigar in this Entertainment subforum, I seem to be the Joe Bob Briggs to his Roger Ebert sometimes. 

I have no idea who Mr. Bob Briggs is, but I recognize a compliment when it's given. I might not always agree with Mr. Ebert, but he was definitely a great critic. Thanks Howdy :) 

As a personal note, I would like it to be known that I have a lot of respect for how he writes about and communicates his obvious love for cinema. I keep that respect, even when my mouth is agape because of how polar opposite our opinions are quite frequently. 

Jeez Howdy, you do make a girl blush sometimes :blush: And I want to say that I do share the sentiment. It's perhaps a bit of a non sequitur here, but I feel that exchanges like the ones you and I sometimes have are way to rare. The internet is a great invention, but it has made it far to easy for people to compartmentalize and lock themselves up in little echo chambers where diverging opinions are shunned like the plague. 

On 13-2-2016 at 8:38 PM, Pony Queen Jace said:

Anyways, whenever you two go at it I see every post (from both of you) like this:

:P

If you think that isn't music, you should hear me sing :P now that definitely isn't music :P 

19 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Deadpool- Ripley, Alien 3

Negasonic: You're Old.

Another one..

Deapool: So what's it gonna be? Sullen silence or snarky retort? I can't wait.

Negasonic: ... yeah... you got me in a box there.

So many great moments - a lot of which have already been mentioned.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:20 PM, TheKitttenGuard said:

The baby hand was great way to show that major injuries took real time to heal.  

"It's gonna feel huge." :rofl: 

What a fun movie.  That was definitely the best theater experience I've had in a long time.  I was always shocked at how busy the theater was, there was probably 150-200 people at the 11:15 showing I went to this morning.  I also had trouble hearing some lines because there was so much laughter.

Saw it on the weekend. I thought it was a lot of fun, but wouldn't put it on the pedestal many here seem to be. The plot was generic (and relatively short), the action scenes were good but nothing revolutionary and the acting was pretty much par for the recent comic adaptions. The only thing elevating this is the humour coming from Deadpool. That was certainly very good, but hardly unexpected. He has reams of material to draw on. If it wasn't for that core of superior humour, this wouldn't be too different from Ant Man.

If I compare this to say Kick Ass, I found that far more hilarious.

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 3:38 AM, Veltigar said:

Vast probably ;) I mean, those are two great films, which transcend the rather limited range of their genre. Or at least that's what I think :) I bet you and I aren't the only one in here with those films in their top three.

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 0:20 AM, Veltigar said:

Personally, I would need to see Deadpool again, but it might even sneak into my top three of superhero films. I feel like The Dark Knight and Unbreakable are almost impossible to oust from their positions, but Avengers and Cap 2 are certainly beatable for that third spot. 

Anyone who doesn't have Burton's batman in their top 3 isn't going to get much cred from me! :P

I know the Dark Knight and Batman would be #1 and #2. The third one is a little harder. Flash Gordon? The Winter Soldier? Avengers? Kick Ass? The Crow? Blade? V for Vendetta? (probably not). X-men Dofp? Superman? If it's comics and graphic novel adaptions then Stardust would be up there. If its superheroes and not comic book adaptions, does Neo count? Because then the Matrix easily walks into the top 3.

This and GotG wouldn't get near that #3 spot for me. I can understand Unbreakable, but not for me.

Saw this on Friday night. I hadn't planned to, but some friends were going, so...

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, but I felt it was not without problems. The attempt to blend the humour with some more serious moments was commendable but I felt it affected the pacing a little bit. More seriously, an off-hand joke about Vanessa being a wish-fulfilment cliche doesn't change the fact that she was, well, a wish-fulfilment cliche instead of a character. The movie's plot actually depended on the love story, so that was a significant weakness. And some of the humour was played with too heavy a hand: if a line's funny, it's funny. Don't lean on it to make sure the audience get it, you know? (Weasel and Colossus are the two characters where I felt that happened sometimes.)

On the plus side I thought Ed Skrein and Gina Carano were great. And the opening sequence is fantastic.

Saw this Saturday morning, 10:15 am and the theatre was like 75% filled. That is big for what I am use to seeing at that time. I think only the original Avengers and Star Wars were busier at that time.(I love to go then because it's cheap, popcorn is guaranteed fresh and I can usually sit wherever I want without having to get there early)

Loved the movie. I love that kind of humor and the action wasn't too over the top. Wasn't sure how I would feel about 4th wall, but most of those were great.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Saw this Saturday morning, 10:15 am and the theatre was like 75% filled. That is big for what I am use to seeing at that time. I think only the original Avengers and Star Wars were busier at that time.(I love to go then because it's cheap, popcorn is guaranteed fresh and I can usually sit wherever I want without having to get there early)

Loved the movie. I love that kind of humor and the action wasn't too over the top. Wasn't sure how I would feel about 4th wall, but most of those were great.

Same here.  Went to the 10:30am showing cause I hate crowds and the theater was quite full.

Loved that Deadpool told his own origin story.  Loved his interaction with the cab driver.  Loved the 4th wall breaking (especially the 16th wall breaking).  Excellent time all around.

2 hours ago, Fiddler said:

Same here.  Went to the 10:30am showing cause I hate crowds and the theater was quite full.

Loved that Deadpool told his own origin story.  Loved his interaction with the cab driver.  Loved the 4th wall breaking (especially the 16th wall breaking).  Excellent time all around.

Yep, the cabbie was great. Nice little side humor

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Yep, the cabbie was great. Nice little side humor

Poor guy - he ends up in the middle of a car crash, with Deadpool's bag full of guns in the back seat and his love rival tied up in the trunk. It's not going to go too well for him.

23 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Poor guy - he ends up in the middle of a car crash, with Deadpool's bag full of guns in the back seat and his love rival tied up in the trunk. It's not going to go too well for him.

I hope they bring him back in some capacity in the sequel :) 

2 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I hope they bring him back in some capacity in the sequel :) 

As a SUPER-VILLAIN! Maybe Someone like Slayback?

Hoping Bob comes back, might be difficult as he I suppose counts as a HYDRA character. We got a Helicarrier but they didn't mention SHIELD, so HYDRA looks unlikely too.

It's a shame Deadpool is in the Fox MCU and not the Disney MCU. I think he'd be much more interesting as an antagonist to the Avengers. But I guess he's a mutant and he got swept up in the X-men package that Fox bought all those years ago.

Will Deadpool 2 also be the coming out story for Vanessa as Copycat?

37 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's a shame Deadpool is in the Fox MCU and not the Disney MCU. I think he'd be much more interesting as an antagonist to the Avengers. But I guess he's a mutant and he got swept up in the X-men package that Fox bought all those years ago.

Will Deadpool 2 also be the coming out story for Vanessa as Copycat?

The Avengers deal with huge world/universe threatening problems. Deadpool doesn't really fit in something of that scale. And that's one of reasons I loved this movie so much. 

Just saw it and loved it -- Deadpool is a game changer. It's gonna be fun to see how Fox handles the X-Men franchise in a post-Deadpool world. Props to Ryan Reynolds for weathering the storm, as he's got his diamond after all the rough. The great thing about this movie is that, for all its ridiculousness, the character is legit. I can see the layers. I can see Deadpool in a dark Suicide Squad-esque X-Force film. 

Honestly, the weakest part of the film was Colossus. I get that he served a specific purpose, but I didn't like the portrayal and the CGI was kind of bad. I like that they're embracing his Russian roots, but he was a caricature. There must be a happy medium somewhere. Negasonic Teenage Warhead was awesome, though. The irony is that, in Fox's most un-X-Meny X-Men film, Negasonic was rocking the classic blue and yellow uniform. More of that, please. I can't take black leather, anymore. The villains were okay, though pretty disposable. I'm looking forward to seeing where this all goes. This has gotta give Fox some confidence to take more risks in the future.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The Avengers deal with huge world/universe threatening problems. Deadpool doesn't really fit in something of that scale. And that's one of reasons I loved this movie so much. 

Yes, but the small scale characters still fit in, a la the Netflix MCU characters. I do hope we see someone from the NMU (Netflix Marvel Universe) bleed into the MCU. Particularly Jessica Jones given she did some time as a costumed hero and if things had been different she might have been rocking with the Avengers. In the comic world I believe Jessica Jones and Carol Danvers are / were friends, and it would be interesting to maintain that connection for the screen, which means Jessica could put in an appearance in Captain Marvel.

Deadpool is slightly less of a game changer for the people who've watched Daredevil and Jessica Jones on Netflix. But he's certainly massively affected the cinematic space. With the right character more R rated "hero" movies can be made. It's been tried before with the likes of the Punisher but I think what made Deadpool work was the humour.

It's interesting that the violence Colossus and NTW were directly involved in was PG violence, which means all the R rated violence was Deadpool. It's hard to see Deadpool crossing over to the X-men movies, so I think the interaction may be a one-way street. Though perhaps in a future Wolverine movie or other solo X-men movie Deadpool could be part of the cast.

Archived