Deadpool v SkullpoopL: Dawn of Spoilers

Bastard of Boston

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Yes, but the small scale characters still fit in, a la the Netflix MCU characters. I do hope we see someone from the NMU (Netflix Marvel Universe) bleed into the MCU. Particularly Jessica Jones given she did some time as a costumed hero and if things had been different she might have been rocking with the Avengers. In the comic world I believe Jessica Jones and Carol Danvers are / were friends, and it would be interesting to maintain that connection for the screen, which means Jessica could put in an appearance in Captain Marvel.

Deadpool is slightly less of a game changer for the people who've watched Daredevil and Jessica Jones on Netflix. But he's certainly massively affected the cinematic space. With the right character more R rated "hero" movies can be made. It's been tried before with the likes of the Punisher but I think what made Deadpool work was the humour.

It's interesting that the violence Colossus and NTW were directly involved in was PG violence, which means all the R rated violence was Deadpool. It's hard to see Deadpool crossing over to the X-men movies, so I think the interaction may be a one-way street. Though perhaps in a future Wolverine movie or other solo X-men movie Deadpool could be part of the cast.

What bits of the violence were R rated? I'm genuinely curious, because due to the previous discussion I went back and checked and was surprised that Kick Ass was MA rated. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought the violence in Kick Ass was just as extreme as in Deadpool. There were certainly some pretty terrible scenes such as when they're filming in the warehouse.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's a shame Deadpool is in the Fox MCU and not the Disney MCU. I think he'd be much more interesting as an antagonist to the Avengers. But I guess he's a mutant and he got swept up in the X-men package that Fox bought all those years ago.

I was thinking the opposite, because there's zero chance this Deadpool movie would have been made by Marvel.  They would never have taken the risk.  Whereas Fox has most recently throw out the massive turd of Fan Four Tastic, and they needed to swing for the fences.

8 minutes ago, ants said:

What bits of the violence were R rated? I'm genuinely curious, because due to the previous discussion I went back and checked and was surprised that Kick Ass was MA rated. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought the violence in Kick Ass was just as extreme as in Deadpool. There were certainly some pretty terrible scenes such as when they're filming in the warehouse.

What does rated MA mean?  Because Google shows me an R rating for Kick-Ass.

Ah - I looked on IMDB and assumed that was the US rating. In Australia MA15+ means that anyone over 15 can go and those under 15 can go as long as they're accompanied by a parent/guardian. Kick Ass was rated MA15, Deadpool R (note in the UK Kick Ass was also viewable by kids 15 and older).

So I assume the difference was the adult material, not the violence which (in Australia) would probably be MA15 rating. 

Also, does anyone think that Disney would have made this movie!>?>?  No way, if Disney had made Deadpool it would have been a totally different movie. Same with Marvel, they would have wanted him to be "safer" so if he succeeded they could have him cross over and help their other movies.

37 minutes ago, ants said:

Kick Ass was rated MA15, Deadpool R (note in the UK Kick Ass was also viewable by kids 15 and older).

So I assume the difference was the adult material, not the violence which (in Australia) would probably be MA15 rating. 

Deadpool is also rated MA in Australia fwiw

Sounds like Marvel is making the next Wolverine R rated. I can't link it but it's reported on Yahoo. Looks like they were waiting to see how Deadpool. I always thought Wolverine would be better as R rated, I mean, he isn't exactly a nice guy.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Ryan Reynolds interviews Hugh Jackman (too bad they didn't do it in character)

That interview was awesome :D I hope one day they'll appear in a film together, that would be great :) 

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Sounds like Marvel is making the next Wolverine R rated. I can't link it but it's reported on Yahoo. Looks like they were waiting to see how Deadpool. I always thought Wolverine would be better as R rated, I mean, he isn't exactly a nice guy.

I found this article on IMDB :) 

10 hours ago, ants said:

Ah - I looked on IMDB and assumed that was the US rating. In Australia MA15+ means that anyone over 15 can go and those under 15 can go as long as they're accompanied by a parent/guardian. Kick Ass was rated MA15, Deadpool R (note in the UK Kick Ass was also viewable by kids 15 and older).

In New Zealand we don't have MA15+ we have R16, which is the equivalent I guess. Kick Ass was given an R18 rating, so in my town Kick Ass is more badder for the kids than Deadpool. But I suspect we have experienced censor creep here, because back in the day (i.e. when I was 16) Deadpool would absolutely have been R18 as well as Kick Ass. But back when I was a kid any movie with more than one boob in it would have been R16.

Man, what a restrictive rating system you all have. Deadpool's rating over here is 12+ (so basically anyone under 12 years of age needs to be accompanied by an adult). 

R rated Wolverine? Finally!!! :drool: 

I hope we get a Deadpool cameo (at the very least). I want to see Jackman and Reynolds together :) 

15 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I was thinking the opposite, because there's zero chance this Deadpool movie would have been made by Marvel.  They would never have taken the risk.  Whereas Fox has most recently throw out the massive turd of Fan Four Tastic, and they needed to swing for the fences.

I think Marvel / Disney would have gone there eventually, they dipped their toes in with the Netflix shows and they have proved hugely popular. And I think they would have hit the cinemas with something R rated in time. I think they still very much have the chance to do that even with a phase 3 solo movie that is still in the pre-production stages. A shame Dr Strange is almost in the can, because that could have been a R rated candidate. I reckon they could/should go there with Black Panther. Or with the comicbook universe link to Jessica Jones they could go really ballsy and make Captain Marvel R rated and have Jessica Jones put in an appearance. She could be in the first act of the movie and at the end of the first act she gets kidnapped by Killgrave. And that would get David Tenant on the cast.

27 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

IMO, without the acclaim of the Netflix Marvel TV shows I'm not sure the movie execs would have been willing to back Deadpool. So while there is proximate causation for Wolverine to go R rated, credit for taking the original risk, and pulling it off, goes to Netflix. Netflix did for superheroes what HBO did for fantasy (GoT).

7 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Man, what a restrictive rating system you all have. Deadpool's rating over here is 12+ (so basically anyone under 12 years of age needs to be accompanied by an adult). 

Did they remove the full on shaved frontal nudity in the strip club scene? I can't imagine anywhere would let 12 year olds see that unsupervised.

5 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Did they remove the full on shaved frontal nudity in the strip club scene? I can't imagine anywhere would let 12 year olds see that unsupervised.

Most Western countries other than the US don't give a shit about that sort of thing. 

It was a fifteen in the UK. No under fifteens, even with adult supervision. Maybe I'm just slightly casloused but I thought it was all fairly tame. The violence wasn't that bad, and the language was no worse than the kids all hear at school anyway. :dunno:

Once you get past twelve I feel most kids aren't going to be truly affected by what they see.

Archived