Daredevil [Spoilers for all S1 episodes]

Sci-2

I didn't hate Wesley or anything. I just thought 'oh, it's evil Mr Smithers' and he never got above that level of characterisation. Honestly, the original Smithers is more interesting.

I guess I am the only person not to totally love this.

I think the acting/cast and setting were all top notch. By being on Netflix it was able to do an entire season as an Origin storyline, which gave all of the main cast (even Kingpin) the time and space to develop their characters so that none of them are just window dressing for DD.

But....It never reached out and grab my attention. It had a lot of long, slow and almost meaningless scenes.

I didn't hate Wesley or anything. I just thought 'oh, it's evil Mr Smithers' and he never got above that level of characterisation. Honestly, the original Smithers is more interesting.

:lol: Was Wesley supposed to have secretly loved Fisk? I didn't sense any jealousy there.

I liked him well enough, not too terribly bothered by him being killed off though. Ben was the one I thought was a mistake.

Definitely agree on Ben. Ben Urich is a fixture of the street-level Marvel universe and they got him dead right... then they bumped him off. What a waste.

:lol: Was Wesley supposed to have secretly loved Fisk? I didn't sense any jealousy there.

I liked him well enough, not too terribly bothered by him being killed off though. Ben was the one I thought was a mistake.

Apparently it was actually a mistake. The show was in production before the deal with Sony to bring Spiderman into the MCU was made (hence why he was working at the Bulletin and not the Daily Bugle). They thought that there wasn't much more they could do with the character so they killed him off. Then the deal went through and they could have gotten a lot more out of him, but it was too late. Pretty sad.

Still, perhaps Karen can fill in the reporter role by herself now, start a blog perhaps.

Apparently it was actually a mistake. The show was in production before the deal with Sony to bring Spiderman into the MCU was made (hence why he was working at the Bulletin and not the Daily Bugle). They thought that there wasn't much more they could do with the character so they killed him off. Then the deal went through and they could have gotten a lot more out of him, but it was too late. Pretty sad.

Still, perhaps Karen can fill in the reporter role by herself now, start a blog perhaps.

I guess people don't always stay dead in Marvel. I'm hoping we'll get J Jonah Jameson turning up. Maybe they can bring in Phil Urich?

I guess people don't always stay dead in Marvel. I'm hoping we'll get J Jonah Jameson turning up. Maybe they can bring in Phil Urich?

I think a resurrection is out of the question with Urich. I just don't think it would fit the tone of the show. I mean there's already been hints of some supernatural stuff, but Urich wasn't related to that.

J. Jonah Jameson will surely be in the Spiderman movie. I'd rather they didn't just bring in Ben's nephew as a replacement character. That seems sort of cheap, though it could work with like a revenge angle to it. But I'd rather they just gave Karen the reporter role, as she's positioned to take it on very well.

On another note, the potential Spiderman connections are exciting. Maybe not in the first film but I'd love to see some Daredevil/Spiderman cross over. Osborne doing some corrupt deals with Kingpin, Night Nurse becoming a general doctor for all the street level heroes in New York and patching up Spiderman. And of course a Daredevil/Spidey team up.

I'd imagine Sony always wanted to keep making Spiderman movies (apparently they're making an animated one now outside the MCU) but I think Spiderman would have been a great Netflix series if Marvel could have reached a deal with them sooner.

Castel,

But as to evidence to the contrary, Fisk was spinning out of control and I think Vanessa was the one who probably suggested that Fisk go public first. This move bought Fisk more time. I think that Vanessa was starting to help him overcome his deep personal issues. You can say what you want but I think Leland was killed because he turned on Fisk and took his money as much as for Vanessa. I'd like to think that Fisk had planned on killing off his crew once they had served their purpose anyway, DD accelerated that time-table to the point where Fisk slipped up and lost control of the syndicate. If it weren't for Vanessa, I think things would have deteriorated a lot quicker... like when Ben released his expose.

Bwahaha! Evil Smithers. That made me laugh out loud.

I liked the Wesley scene. I agree it renders the character kind of pointless but I enjoyed the ballsiness of killing someone off because of their own carelessness. And the carelessness was in character, believable. We'd seen how he finds violence distasteful and doesn't carry his own gun.

It reminded me off a scene from Justified when one of the hick criminals deliberately leaves the gun in the middle of the table because he thinks he can grab it faster than Raylan. And Raylan just tilts the table so it slides over to him.

I think that Wesley's carelessness was actually more like arrogance...it stemmed from the myriad innocent people he'd been able to bully/buy off so easily.... he put the gun down never thinking in a million years that this secretary would stand up to him.... even when she had the gun he didn't seem nervous, because I doubt that he thought that she would pull the trigger.

I loved the scene.... although I hated to lose the character.

I think a resurrection is out of the question with Urich. I just don't think it would fit the tone of the show. I mean there's already been hints of some supernatural stuff, but Urich wasn't related to that.

J. Jonah Jameson will surely be in the Spiderman movie. I'd rather they didn't just bring in Ben's nephew as a replacement character. That seems sort of cheap, though it could work with like a revenge angle to it. But I'd rather they just gave Karen the reporter role, as she's positioned to take it on very well.

On another note, the potential Spiderman connections are exciting. Maybe not in the first film but I'd love to see some Daredevil/Spiderman cross over. Osborne doing some corrupt deals with Kingpin, Night Nurse becoming a general doctor for all the street level heroes in New York and patching up Spiderman. And of course a Daredevil/Spidey team up.

I'd rather he'd stay dead too. There's a less mystical way of bringing him back though as we never saw him die. Maybe he sustained severe injuries but was somehow lucky enough to be rescued by non corrupt police/medics and they put him in hiding. It's bullshit and he's better left dead but that's how they can bring him back without him being resurrected. It would make Fisk seem more of an idiot but he was upset and choking isn't as guaranteed as decapitation.

I'd rather he'd stay dead too. There's a less mystical way of bringing him back though as we never saw him die.

We saw his funeral and his grieving wife. Everyone believes he was dead. And the 'faking my death' thing would be just as inappropriate a trope as resurrection, IMHO.

Does anyone know if DeKnight's departure has something to do with the Sci-Fi show he was working on after Spartacus?

I'd really want to see that show come to fruition (what was it called? Incursion?) but it looks like it may be stillborn.

I liked the Wesley scene. I agree it renders the character kind of pointless but I enjoyed the ballsiness of killing someone off because of their own carelessness. And the carelessness was in character, believable. We'd seen how he finds violence distasteful and doesn't carry his own gun.

It reminded me off a scene from Justified when one of the hick criminals deliberately leaves the gun in the middle of the table because he thinks he can grab it faster than Raylan. And Raylan just tilts the table so it slides over to him.

I really enjoyed any scene with Wesley in it.

My thoughts, up until Kingpin actually visits the body, was that it was all staged to try and figure out who else went with here.

Does anyone know if DeKnight's departure has something to do with the Sci-Fi show he was working on after Spartacus?

I'd really want to see that show come to fruition (what was it called? Incursion?) but it looks like it may be stillborn.

He won't say on his twitter account but it was recently mentioned that "incursion" is still alive.

We saw his funeral and his grieving wife. Everyone believes he was dead. And the 'faking my death' thing would be just as inappropriate a trope as resurrection, IMHO.

Totally agree - I'm just saying there are ways to bring the character back that aren't magic/sci-fi. He maybe has told his wife but we already know her memory is temporary.

Archived