Avengers 2: The SPOILER thread (warning: spoilers NOT in tags)

denstorebog

I completely believe Feige that the intention is to keep him dead. But, everyone is 100% dead until they're not. If someone wants to bring the character back, he'll be back.

They still should have killed someone who was more flushed out. I agree that some characters need to bite the dust it's realistic but it should have been someone who was more flushed out and had a bigger emotional tie to the team.

Unless we see the impact of Quicksilver's death on Wanda in the next movies but with all the characters being cramped in I doubt they will give her POV on her brother's death that much focus.

Marvel doesn't even have the balls to keep Agent Coulson dead, a mediocre middle aged man. Quicksilver is going to be back.

This movie was pretty entertaining despite being an absolute mess. Or maybe because of it. It's not as profoundly stupid as a Transformers movie, but it's fair to say they're in the same ballpark.

Indeed?

"Quiksilver is DEAD. 100%, he's not coming back any time soon, there are no plans. No LMD [life model decoy], no escaping bullets, no retcon. (Feige) said he is dead and wanted to make sure people understood that."

Riiight. That first sentence really doesn't put the matter to rest at all.

Indeed?

Riiight. That first sentence really doesn't put the matter to rest at all.

Well they probably want to keep things somewhat open. But there's no plans at the moment. So certainly he'll be sitting out of all of Phase 3 I expect.

I get that people want "weight" behind these movies and the sentiment is "nothing matters" if people get brought back to life. But, even though I get it, I don't agree with it. The movie is based on a comic book. It's supposed to be fun and defy logic. Superman came back to life after the Death of Superman arc way back when...it doesn't make that story any less meaningful to me. If anything, I think it's a unique aspect of the genre that there's always that excitement over the potential of seeing someone come back. Nobody is ever truly gone. There's something to be said for that. This is modern mythology. Count me in the camp hoping we see Quicksilver brought back somehow.

I wouldn't mind if he came back temporarily via some infinity stone shenanigans. But then the heroes know they have to return reality to normal and that would mean erasing him again.

But then again the Infinity War movies will probably be crowded enough without him.

I get that people want "weight" behind these movies and the sentiment is "nothing matters" if people get brought back to life. But, even though I get it, I don't agree with it. The movie is based on a comic book. It's supposed to be fun and defy logic. Superman came back to life after the Death of Superman arc way back when...it doesn't make that story any less meaningful to me. If anything, I think it's a unique aspect of the genre that there's always that excitement over the potential of seeing someone come back. Nobody is ever truly gone. There's something to be said for that. This is modern mythology. Count me in the camp hoping we see Quicksilver brought back somehow.

Superman comes back because of the nature of the medium. It's also why Batman is always around and Gotham isn't a utopia. It's cheap, and constant.Neither of these things apply to billion dollar franchises with aging actors.

There's zero reason for this to be the case for the films. They can take story points from comics but they can and should absolutely ignore plot points that are the result of structural issues with the medium they're adapting from.

There's no reason to import every little idiosyncrasy of comics. Some of us want an MCU precisely so we can have a more streamlined place to get some of these stories without the shenanigans that turn us off comics.

Quicksilver's death was largely meaningless. I didn't really feel bad that the character died, only that some cool possibilities for speedster effects would be missing from future films.

His resurrection would also be meaningless to me if they bring a new speedster into the picture - something easily possible with the Inhuman storyline.

Superman comes back because of the nature of the medium. It's also why Batman is always around and Gotham isn't a utopia. It's cheap, and constant.Neither of these things apply to billion dollar franchises with aging actors.

There's zero reason for this to be the case for the films. They can take story points from comics but they can and should absolutely ignore plot points that are the result of structural issues with the medium they're adapting from.

There's no reason to import every little idiosyncrasy of comics. Some of us want an MCU precisely so we can have a more streamlined place to get some of these stories without the shenanigans that turn us off comics.

I completely disagree. I see comic book movies because I love comic books, warts and all.

I do agree that the movies should not recast younger versions of Steve Rogers and Stark, though. It doesn't apply to ATJ, as you had someone in his early 20s in a franchise full of actors in their mid-30s-50s. He's one character you should've probably kept, considering. But, one thing I've enjoyed about DC is that the hero surpasses the identity. There have been numerous characters filling the roles of Flash, Green Lantern, etc. Every generation has "their" hero. Wally West was my Flash, but Barry Allen is someone else's -- even if DC has gotten into the habit of re-using the "classic" versions. Marvel does not have that type of legacy. Other characters have been Cap, but for short stints. When it comes time for Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Evans, Ruffalo, and the rest to hang it up, I don't want another actor playing Steve Rogers...let Sebastian Stan be Cap -- the actor is in his 20s. Find someone new to be Iron Man. This train doesn't need a reboot. I love the idea of every generation having their own Cap or Iron Man.

Quicksilver's death was largely meaningless. I didn't really feel bad that the character died, only that some cool possibilities for speedster effects would be missing from future films.

His resurrection would also be meaningless to me if they bring a new speedster into the picture - something easily possible with the Inhuman storyline.

Like I said, if they wanted to show that heroes can die to than they should have killed a more flushed out character.

Plus I like the speedsters and no we don't need anymore characters in these movies as much as I would like to see all my favs together.

Like I've said before, James Rhodes would be the perfect fit. But then again people would have complained about racism for killing off the black guy.

He should have died too they're done making Iron Man movies for now the character is expendable and not needed, Maria Hill could have died too(though I would have missed her and am glad she didn't die)

Archived