Football XXXVIII: Wenger v The Special One

MercenaryChef

Ah, conspiracy of silence. That's kind of what I figured. We've adopted all your songs as well. Last night's referee has given red cards in a whopping 36% of the games he's officiated, though. So you could see how he might not get the benefit of the crowd's indulgence.

Why would you boo him?

To be frank, I don't understand why booing him is such a big deal. There was plenty of stuff that came out of his departure, such as refusing to play, faking an injury, etc. and whilst not all of that may be true, I feel like that might have been enough to tarnish his last few months at Arsenal.

Re: big screens.

I can think of two reasons. One being reinforcing the idea that the referee made a big mistake and the crowd going absolutely ballistic.

The second being that the officials don't get to use video evidence, so it takes away the chance that they look up and see a replay. Strongly rumoured (confirmed?) as the reason behind Zidane getting sent off in the World Cup Final...

I have a question for live footie attendants on all continents: does the in-stadium replay screen show replays of contentious referee calls during games where you live? I'm not certain if it is an MLS directive or a local phenomenon or a generally accepted practice, but at Vancouver home games they will not show replays of plays that resulted in fouls or cards, or even off-sides on the big screen. It's pretty cowardly, I feel. Last night Whitecaps midfielder Mattias Laba got two yellows that changed the game. Both looked weak from where I sat, and I and those around me let the ref know about it. As it turns out, I'd say both calls were legit (if a bit harsh), but I didn't know it until I watched a recording of the game today. If they had been replayed at the game, I would have felt much differently leaving the stadium.

FIFA and UEFA are very strict on the matter of no video interfering with ref's call.

That's why there is no instant replay on big screens in the stadium.

If I remember correctly, in South Africa World Cup in 2010 Argentina scored a goal from a clear offside and the replay proving that went on the big screen.

Ref saw it but couldn't do anything about it because it would be a clear violation of the rules and the goal stood.

The crowd went crazy, as you could imagine, as did the opposing team (for the life of me, I can't remember who) but luckily there were no riots and stuff like that.

EDIT:

I forgot to add, we had our city derby between Crvena Zvezda and Partizan this weekend.

The match was a goalless stalemate that makes Arsenal vs Chelsea sound like that Istanbul Champions' League final in 2005.

Hooligans caused the 40-ish minutes delay to the match by fighting in the stands and doing all kinds of stupid things.

It was a clear sign that football in Serbia needs a thorough cleaning or a full shutdown until further notice.

To be frank, I don't understand why booing him is such a big deal. There was plenty of stuff that came out of his departure, such as refusing to play, faking an injury, etc. and whilst not all of that may be true, I feel like that might have been enough to tarnish his last few months at Arsenal.

Show me one credible source backing up these claims, and I might consider your argument. All I can find are a couple of blog posts by butthurt, tinfoil-hatted bloggers, backed up by nothing more substantial than the booze-addled ravings of Paul bleedin’ Merson, and two random facebook posts claiming Ivan Gazidis said Fabregas refused to train that were posted in the wake of the 2012 AGM. The Gazidis claims would have more credibility if one could find direct quotes to support them, but I’ve been hunting for an hour now and cannot find anything.

If Gazidis had said that, or Fabregas had indeed resorted to faking injury and refusing to play, it’s fair to assume that at least one major news source would have reported it. The fact that none of them did, tells me it’s all bullshit (probably propagated in the wake of Arsenal’s refusal to re-sign Fabregas).

A custom google news search, dated May 2011 – Dec 2012, throws up absolutely nothing on the matter.

FIFA and UEFA are very strict on the matter of no video interfering with ref's call.

That's why there is no instant replay on big screens in the stadium.

Not always true.

Zidane was sent off from the WC final without the ref or any other official having seen the headbutt.

The 4th ref saw it on screen a couple of minutes later, whilst Materazzi was treated, and warned the ref.

Donkey, both of those yellow cards were legit, but heavy handed. And I say this ad one whose team ultimately won the gene by being up a man.

The ref was awful. The red that should have been was the chaotic and two footed challenge by adekugbe in the 9th minute.

I respect your teams attacking resolve a lot. Even down to 10 you looked like a threat to score.

Better luck next time. Thanks for the three points, my friend.

Not always true.

Zidane was sent off from the WC final without the ref or any other official having seen the headbutt.

The 4th ref saw it on screen a couple of minutes later, whilst Materazzi was treated, and warned the ref.

One of the single greatest moments in football history

Not always true.

Yes, I know it's not always true.

That's why I mentioned the Argentina game from WC in 2010. ;)

Off to the second leg of the FA Youth Cup Final. It's really good to be able to go and support City at Stamford Bridge for less than £60. Should be a good game

Liverpool have been surprisingly limp these last few games. I would have thought that Klopp would be a big spur to Rodgers to finish strongly. He surely can't feel too complacent at the moment. The players definitely seem to have lost all motivation. I don't want to finish the season like Newcastle. Unless it's a cunning plan to miss out on the EL, in which case Spurs and Saints seem to have the same plan.

Archived