A Post Apocalyptic Compilation

eyenon15

I agree, but I did catch the 1964 movie The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price not too long ago. Even with the changed ending I liked the movie, but I also enjoy watching Price in just about anything.

I'm wondering if I should try The Omega Man if I understand going in it's not going to end like the book.

The Will Smith I am Legend I hated the theatrical ending, the alternate ending made it better but still not good enough. I can't watch that movie again though because the dog :crying:

I just don't understand why they can't just make the same ending. I mean, the ending is really good, and yet they've made three movies, with four endings, and none of them thought "maybe we should give that a try?"

Movies:

A Boy and His Dog - I don't remember much detail about this, just a few scenes. I haven't seen it in years.

Tank Girl

This is The End

The Matrix

Terminator Salvation

Book:

Oryx and Crake

Edit - I didn't read carefully enough, some already mentioned Terminator and The Matrix. Sure The Matrix counts as post-apocalypse. Absolutely, why wouldn't it? In fact, I would say that's more its genre than post-apocalypse being a genre for zombie movies. Zombie is like a sub-genre of Post-apocalypse, I guess?

I just don't understand why they can't just make the same ending. I mean, the ending is really good, and yet they've made three movies, with four endings, and none of them thought "maybe we should give that a try?"

Agreed!

Another movie, I don't know if it's post apocalyptic, it's definitely post crisis and a changed world but Daybreakers

I don't care much for vampires and vampire movies but this one I love.

I love the twist of humans being the minority and they are going out to change vampires back to human. Though it took just about the whole movie to show the story getting there, I think I might of liked it even more if they explored that aspect more instead of it just mostly being implied in the end.

After a weak start I did end up enjoying The 100 TV series a lot, although I'm not sure I'd say it was the most plausible of post-apocalyptic stories.

In places it is a bit reminiscent of another TV series Jeremiah from about 10 years ago. It's set in a world where a virus had wiped out everyone over the age of puberty leaving the children to survive on their own, the story starts about a decade after the virus has struck. I wouldn't say it was a great TV series, but I thought it was reasonably good and I think seeing the faltering attempts at trying to rebuild society was the most interesting bit of it.

There was a BBC (I think) TV series a few years ago called Survivors, again set in the aftermath of a virus outbreak that kills most of humanity, although I only watched a handful of episodes of it. I think it's a remake of an older series which I've never seen.

For films I think the original Planet of the Apes and the recent Dawn of the Planet of the Apes are two very good post-apocalyptic films (although I guess the Apes might disagree about the post-apocalyptic part). The other films in the series are either pre-apocalyptic or not very good.

This list will be nothing without the mention of Fist of the North Star.

I have seen it, but now can't remember anything about it other than that it had some ridiculous fight sequences.

Speaking of anime, I thought Nausica of the Valley of the Winds was a wonderful film and features one of the more imaginative post-apocalyptic worlds.

Some Books and Movies not mentioned (or I just liked ):

The Dark Tower Series

The Stand

Damnation Alley

Swan Song

Down to a Sunless Sea

Malevil

Lucifer's Hammer

Day of the Triffids

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

Horseclans series

Planet of Apes, both the new and old versions, except maybe the Mark Wahlberg one

A Boy and His Dog

Logan's Run

City of Ember

Oblivion

Sleeper

Speaking of anime, I thought Nausica of the Valley of the Winds was a wonderful film and features one of the more imaginative post-apocalyptic worlds.

One of my favourite films of all time.

You ever seen the Korean anime-thing Sky Blue? It's not too much like Nausicaa, despite also being a post-apocalypse story, but it takes clear inspiration from it. And it's also utterly gorgeous and a very good film.

I've read a few post-apocalypse books recently that are all pretty good:

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandell

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan

Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine (this is probably my favourite of the four)

The Quiet Earth is another film I liked, it's a low budget New Zealand film that's a bit different to most P-A films since it focuses on a man who wakes up one day and finds that (almost) everyone else on the planet has disappeared.

One of my favourite films of all time.

You ever seen the Korean anime-thing Sky Blue? It's not too much like Nausicaa, despite also being a post-apocalypse story, but it takes clear inspiration from it. And it's also utterly gorgeous and a very good film.

I haven't seen it, but it sounds interesting.

Years ago I read a book in the Blade series by David Robbins. After a search on Goodreads, I think the one I read was called Vampire Strike.

However this is not the vampire hunter Blade from the comics/Wesley Snipes movie. This is a post-nuclear war world, where some order has remained, but the war led to various mutations in both humans and animals. The vampires in this book are a result of this war. Blade is the leader of a special forces unit that are sent on various missions to help out people in need. At least that's what I remember. I also remember that a member of Blade's team is a mutant named Grizzly, because he kinda looks like a bear. (He is basically Wolverine with real claws)

Probably a corny read, but more fun that most other post-apocalyptic literature.

That was actually a spin off series from a series called Endworld.

I devoured those books as a kid. I think I read the entire 24-28 book series of Endworld 10 - 15 times. They weren't literary greats, but man did I enjoy them.

I have seen it, but now can't remember anything about it other than that it had some ridiculous fight sequences.

I thought the fight scenes were pretty great. The movie was instrumental in popularizing anime in the western world, certainly for shonen manga.

Doomsday while no cinematic feat certainly fits the bill.

Actually really liked that movie even though it's more than a bit inspired by Mad Max. Kick ass soundtrack!!! Adam And the Anta - Siouxsie and the Banshees!!!!!

Also...WALL-E !!!

I thought the fight scenes were pretty great. The movie was instrumental in popularizing anime in the western world, certainly for shonen manga.

I wouldn't say that being ridiculous is necessarily a bad thing for anime fight scenes. Although I can't remember it well now (probably been at least a dozen years since I saw it) I seem to remember it being reasonably enjoyable.

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart is my favorite post-apocalyptic book all around. It holds up so extremely well, even though it was written 60+ years ago.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell - wonderful, but I don't know if I would classify it as post-apocalyptic as that's just one part of it.

Others already mentioned that I really enjoyed: Y: The Last Man, The Road, Sleepless, This Dark Earth.

Books I plan on reading this calendar year: Station Eleven, The Passage.

That might be my favorite ending to any book ever, so I, too, am baffled why they haven't ever went there in one of the movies. Just brilliant.

Archived