Watch, Watched, Watching: Witness Me!

Nictarion

A new Flemish/Belgian TV series, Cordon,will air on Saturday 27th June on BBC Four.The trailer looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpiyDw87OBo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02tc919

Cordon is a new thriller out of Belgium, and its premise is eerily similar to real-life events in another country. A man is found to be infected with a contagious and deadly virus in Antwerp. To prevent it from spreading further and causing an epidemic — or worse, a pandemic — authorities cordon and hermetically seal off the city center from the outside world. Life as they’d known it has come to an abrupt halt for the people now trapped there, a situation that leaves them up to their own devices and brings out the best and worst in them.

A new Flemish/Belgian TV series, Cordon,will air on Saturday 27th June on BBC Four.The trailer looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpiyDw87OBo

:thumbsdown: The series blows, as do all the things that network produces. It's cliche and stupid from the snippets I remember.

Doesn't BBC do Orphan Black?

Not BBC, VTM (or VMMA or really whatever name they peddle their shit under) the network that originally made the Flemish series Cordon.

I just finished Casablanca. That was a strange feeling. I mean I knew so many quotes and scenes before going into the movie, that I thought it could never live up to its reputation, but it completely did. The script in this film is just unbelievable, the acting was great and it just baffles me that this came out in 1942 already. Who knows what would have happened to the film if things had played out differently.

EDIT: To come back to the acting, Humphrey Bogart is just marvellous. Ingrid Bergman matches him blow for blow, but still I like to single out Bogart. That man has given us so many masterpieces (to name but three: Casablanca, The African Queen and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre). He is truly brightests stars to ever grace the silver screen :)

I watched Casablanca for the first time about a year ago and I had about the opposite reaction. Not that it wasn't really good, but even though you can see why it's so important to cinema, what made it so has been done better since, imo.

I watched The Big Sleep at about the same time and as Humphrey Bogart vehicles go, I much preferred that. The dialogue in that film would give Aaron Sorkin wet dreams and of course it's got Lauren Bacall's smirk.

I watched Casablanca for the first time about a year ago and I had about the opposite reaction. Not that it wasn't really good, but even though you can see why it's so important to cinema, what made it so has been done better since, imo.

I watched The Big Sleep at about the same time and as Humphrey Bogart vehicles go, I much preferred that. The dialogue in that film would give Aaron Sorkin wet dreams and of course it's got Lauren Bacall's smirk.

ooh I was gonna buy a humphrey bogart box set the other day because ive never seen casablanca, the big sleep or the maltese falcon

I decided to watch "Say Anything..." yesterday evening. I had it on my list for a while and when I saw that Roger Ebert had this on his Great Movies list I just had to watch it. I already knew that Roger was fallible at times, but if I didn't this would have opened my eyes. The film wasn't terrible of course, in fact when it finally got going (after give or take forty minutes) I rather enjoyed it, but the film had a lot of rather distasteful subtext imo. "Say Anything..." must be the ultimate creepy Nice GuyTM movie. Ser Jorah Mormont would adore this film I'm sure, he'd probably be able to quote every line.

There was a lot of good in there though. Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" is a perfect song for a film in this genre. The performances were all great. It's so weird to see John Cusack actually pulling his weight. I'm used to seeing him sleepwalk through films, but here he was very much awake imo. John Mahoney was great as the girls father, he really sold the relationship in the movie. That being said, I think that Ione Skye outdid them both as Diane Court. I looked her up on IMDB afterwards and I'm kind of amazed that she didn't become more famous. Her turn in "Say Anything..." was mighty promising, a shame she didn't really do many things after this.

Ultimately though, I just can't get over the icky Nice GuyTM storyline. That really brings this movie down.

Ah well, de gustibus et coloribus non disputandum est I guess. I do wonder which films have outCasablancad Casablanca in your opinion. I really struggle to come up with any candidates. The performances are all stellar, the script is just so great and the amount of quotable lines and amazing scenes is just insane. It's also baffling that this movie came out in 1942. Some of the lines are almost prophetic:

“What if you killed all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds, thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can’t kill that fast.” => The movie came out at the end of the same year that the Nazi's held the Wannseekonferenz, where they set-up the horror of the Shoah as we know it.

I've always stayed away from Say Anything and I really don't know why because I love rom coms and have watched pretty much all the 80s high school movies.

If you like the genre, I think you might still want to give this a shot. There is some good in there, but you have to put effort in to ignore the Nice GuyTM storyline :( when the movie is still playing, that is not that difficult, but really the minute the movie stops it hits you :) I don't think this one has much rewatch value :)

Ah well, de gustibus et coloribus non disputandum est I guess. I do wonder which films have outCasablancad Casablanca in your opinion.

'OutCasblancad Casablanca' may not be quite the accurate term, but what it did was, if not create, then codify and popularise a certain language/structure of romantic drama in Hollywood that's still pervasive to this day. You can see it in one way or another in everything from The Dark Knight to LA Confidential not to mention so many actual romances, comic or not.

Part of the problem I guess is that even though the dialogue between them is iconic I didn't really get any emotional impact from the relationships. I just didn't buy that (I know it's Casablanca, but I'm spoilering anyway)

he loved her that much that she'd break his world like that, or that she'd love Laszlo at all. I felt Rick and Sam's relationship more than any of the actual romance.

I'm aware that I'm massively in the minority.

So any film where I really buy into the characters' feelings for each other beats Casablanca at that aspect for me, even if the film overall isn't better.

Just added another horror movie to my limited roster, The Babadook. Definitely my favourite horror of recent times. The monster is suitably disturbing but the film doesn't even really need him. This is fundamentally a psychological horror movie about grief, depression and anxiety.

Just watched the movie 'Obvious Child' on Netflix; really nice little romantic one that was really funny and had genuinely nice, realistic and good people and it was pleasant watching them for an hour and a half. Was about a woman getting pregnant but she has the abortion and it treated the subject very gently and with humour and was handled very well.

I just finished the new season of OitNB. It was highly enjoyable. Today, I tried Sense8, another Netflix orginal. I watched the first 30~35 minutes and was bored. Many characters were introduced within that time, and I felt no emotional connection to any of them.

Archived